1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
7/3/20 10:29 p.m.

Cool build.  The truck is improving with every post!

However, I think you might have an L69 engine there (as opposed to an LG4).  That's about as good a 305 as you can get (pre-vortec), I suppose.  In any case, the L69 (=H.O. 5.0) heads are an asset to your build.

On edit (after a little poking around the internet), it seems like folks are saying the 416 head was used in both LG4 and L69 engines.  I don't know.  You have the flat top pistons with pre-86 heads, though...so that makes me think you may have the H.O. L69 long block there.  Maybe.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/5/20 1:04 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

From my research as it's a 87 the LG4 engines came with dished pistons. As it's a 87 Caprice engine sure it's a LG4.  Refer to my resources.

Some more pics of my progress. 

Pistons are definitely dished although a small dish.

Waiting on the Summit 1103 cam and lifter combo along with a double roller timing set. 

Forgot to take a pic but I picked up a Holley Street Dominator intake as well!

Thanks for the input! Looks like 86 and 87s were a hodgepodge year? 

bonylad
7/6/20 7:24 p.m.

Nice gentleman named Alex came by today and scooped the 4.3. 

Turns out he has a S10 SS and will be goin through the 4.3 and supercharging it!  Happy to see it go to a good home. Also helped me clear it out and get motivated. He probably thought I was nuts cause when I was out there I made a power steering and coolant mess which got on my driveway!  Ugh! Have to clean everything now cause my OCD is goin nuts! 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
7/6/20 7:39 p.m.

Ah.  You've got it figured out on what engine you have.   I was going with Wishful Conjecture.  I didn't pick up the "dish" and saw perimeter-bolt valve covers and thought you had a 2 piece rear main seal L69.   I'm not too surprised I wasn't right.  That's part of my liberal use of "might" and "maybe" to cover the bases ;)

In any case...looking good!

bonylad
7/6/20 8:15 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

I appreciate your input. It surely made me go and take a second look!  Thankful for any help I get!

bonylad
7/11/20 5:50 p.m.

Not a lot of progress. Waiting on parts. Went to put the heads back on and went to tighten to spec on the last run and one broke!  Thankfully it was finger tight and came right out. Idk. Maybe it bound up idk. Threaded in perfect. Even on the first go through at 25 and 45 ft lbs. Unfortunately the fresh head gasket is ruined. So. I have to order new parts. New head gaskets and head bolts. Also removed the oil pan to clean it. Have new front and rear main seals as well as oil pan gasket. 

Dad gave me some vintage 60s valve covers!

Pic of the street dominator intake manifold.

I try to keep the work space clean but it's dam near impossible! Omg my ocd is killing me!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
7/12/20 7:48 a.m.

I love those old valve covers but they present a challenge with venting the crankcase appropriately.  Early intake manifolds had a vent tube at the front.  This also served as the oil fill tube.  Some aftermarket intakes came with a cast flat spot that can be machined to install a vent tube.  There may be other alternatives to install a PCV valve/fitting/etc in an alternate location.

You may already have a plan for this.  I figured it was worth mentioning before you install everything and start sucking in or blowing out crankcase seals.

Here's something that might be interesting:  https://www.hotrod.com/articles/installing-an-oil-fill-tube-in-a-modern-intake/

This thread discusses the issue at length:  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/couple-of-questions-regarding-venting-the-sbc-and-an-oil-filler-tube-source.392299/

bonylad
7/12/20 8:14 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Outstanding point actually. I hadn't considered that. I suppose I can vent the valve covers with push in breathers. You've given me some thoughts here......

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
7/12/20 8:15 a.m.

Yeah...if you're not opposed to modifying the valve covers a little, it would probably be the easiest solution to the ventilation (and oil fill) issue.

bonylad
7/12/20 3:06 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

I'd be fine with modifying them. Unless another option presents itself?

bonylad
7/12/20 3:10 p.m.

Went out to get gas for the weed eater. Went to a old road and had some fun.  Too much fun. Yep had to get pulled out. 

bonylad
7/18/20 11:09 a.m.

Ok!  

Pulled the freeze plugs out (aka core plugs). 

Dad came by with his years of experience  on the platform. So we did work!

Cam installed with double roller chain.  Summit 1103 cam with new lifters.

I will probably clean the engine fully tommorow and go from there.  Valve covers and carb are sitting there for mock up 

So far as the valve covers go as it's been pointed out, I need to vent them.  I intend to strip the covers and rust them with matte clear. Compete the patina look.  Also need to slap oil pan on and timing cover.  After this it's bolt up the trans time and start fitment! 

bonylad
7/19/20 11:44 a.m.

So far as looks go. I'm on the fence about just touching it up with black paint. Or leaving it. Sorta like the old unfinished look. Do think I need to clean up the intake. Once I get the back engine fully bolted up I'll see what I feel. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/20 10:19 p.m.

I vote Chevy Orange!

bonylad
7/22/20 7:01 a.m.

Further mock up. May try and install the engine at least before the weekend. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/22/20 8:17 a.m.

Chevy orange,  black hardware and brackets,  aluminum alternator, black air cleaner 

bonylad
7/27/20 7:13 a.m.

Went well. Fitted the last of the core plugs. Buttoned her all up. 

Getting ready to slap it in!

But something ain't right. It's sitting in there but I can't get the driver side to bolt up. Engine is pushed to the passenger side. Now over the weekend I found out that some kits do that. To clear the steering gearbox. Plus the frame mounts are poly so I have NO adjustment. Brother came over as to this point I'd done all this solo. We nearly got it but I was done at that point. So I ordered some rubber 2.8 frame mounts. May be easier to install. Plus I'm getting older and I'm not sure the poly frame mounts are needed. Pics of what I'm taking about. 

It looks so close but even wi a crowbar and some ass behind it. Later same with two people it wouldn't line up!  

More to come!

bonylad
7/27/20 8:35 a.m.

Just figured it out. Somehow I have 4WD mounts instead of 2WD. All my fault. 

bonylad
7/28/20 11:22 a.m.

Valve covers coming nicely. Little more surface rust then I will matte clear them. 

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
7/28/20 1:37 p.m.

May some smokey burnouts ensue for you shortly! 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/28/20 5:33 p.m.

You forgot to change out that lousy rag joint.  Just sayin’

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
7/28/20 8:39 p.m.

I didn't use the rebuild in a can on my 302 and man have I gotten a lot of crap about the grungy old motor. I didn't rust my new valve covers though so maybe the chromes throwing off the look. I personally don't care but a lot of people will ask why you didn't paint it.

bonylad
7/29/20 6:46 a.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

You forgot to change out that lousy rag joint.  Just sayin’

Still test fitting everything. Its coming!

bonylad
7/29/20 6:48 a.m.
dropstep said:

I didn't use the rebuild in a can on my 302 and man have I gotten a lot of crap about the grungy old motor. I didn't rust my new valve covers though so maybe the chromes throwing off the look. I personally don't care but a lot of people will ask why you didn't paint it.

Well. Its a look. I mean the engine will be cleaner than it is now.  I dont want to have a painted glistening engine in a bay thats not. And I have always dug the patina look. Once it get it all together, I think it will be nice and rat roddish.

bonylad
7/29/20 6:48 a.m.
bigbrainonbrad said:

May some smokey burnouts ensue for you shortly! 

Hell yeah brother!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SvDbMWXVlF99Ibnx0FZKWUWKMpKAbjORIqIQPrPMMVlEB5SHUo3dC7qQ65DzXECM