1 2 3 4
759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/9/17 8:25 p.m.

if I may speak for senior Crackers...ain no stinkin' diesel here vato....solamente gasolina!!! andele !! arriba arriba!!!!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/9/17 10:21 p.m.

Yeah, it's definitely a gas engine. 5.7l vortec.

My personal dislike for diesels aside, I don't know if/when GM ever made a worthwhile diesel, but I'm pretty sure one never made it into a GMT400.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/10/17 8:55 a.m.

I must confess, I have a burning desire to install a 2001-2004 LB7 with a ZF6spd into my '91 ext cab short bed c1500 (330+hp and 550+lbft @ 1800rpm) and now that it its over 25 yrs old , no more sniffer test YES! someday.......

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/11/17 5:26 p.m.

I'd love to do something with a 24v Cummins, specifically in a 1970 Dodge 1 ton panel van, but I find diesel exhaust nauseous. Also, those trucks with the 24v are treated like berkeleying gold around here, even if for good reason.

Anyhow, I fiddled around today and got my filler neck pocket welded in.

photo 20170511_163824-1_zpsfmaecsbc.jpg

It's not very symmetrical, and may end up getting cut back out, but it's at least in. I wanted to do a little more fiddling with it but it looked like it was about to start raining so I packed it in for today and sprayed some primer on it to keep it from flashing over.

photo 20170511_164245_zpsn4cccnaj_edit_1494540160218_zpsgixvbptr.jpg

I'm not sure how many of those sins the bed liner is going to cover, but I'm pretty sure some body filler is going to be involved assuming I don't redo this.

Also I switched through a few of the junk rolls of welding wire I have, and I'm definitely going to need some new wire before I'm willing to try welding in the last of the bed mounts. This stuff is just embarrassing.

Tomorrow I'll bolt the neck back on and see if I can actually get a fuel nozzle in there!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/11/17 6:06 p.m.

Looks good enough. Sometimes perfection is the enemy of finished.

See the duster thread for reference.....

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/11/17 7:30 p.m.

Yeah, you got that right but I gave up on perfection a long time ago.

photo lowered-expectations-madtv-350_zpsvdwjpsi3.jpg

Keeping everything square is my only real requirement, but it would be nice to not have everything look like hack work.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/11/17 7:45 p.m.

Fair enough. Picture don't look hack to me. Aint square, but does look fairly symmetrical in primer.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
5/11/17 7:47 p.m.

That looks as clean or cleaner than most of the flatbeds I've seen.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/11/17 8:16 p.m.

I appreciate that, both of you. I just know I'm compromising my quality because I'm rushing through trying to finish it so I can move on to the wagon.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/11/17 9:50 p.m.

the filler neck a pocket thingy she's a beautiful!!!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/12/17 10:37 p.m.

I didn't get to do anything fun today. Instead I got to replace an evaporator core in the GF's Dakota!

photo 20170512_201521_zpswu4samkz.jpg

You know it's a miserable job when you have to fabricate your own quick disconnect tools because Chrysler are shiny happy people and like to use proprietary sized disconnects.

photo 20170512_184158_zpsvzmcxp6u.jpg

I've been putting it off for months but at least I was able to get it mostly done and it seems to be holding vacuum. I would be done, but I'm also swapping out the water pump and replacing the front crank seal. I'll finish that up tomorrow morning and I'll be able to focus on my stuff on my schedule.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/13/17 12:15 a.m.

Having done exactly this job, id rather put my nuts in a vise and smack my dick with a hammer.

I do NOT envy you.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
5/13/17 3:16 a.m.

In reply to Crackers:

Posts like that reaffirm my fervent hope to die alone.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/13/17 7:57 a.m.

For real!?!?!!!!! the entire dash???? cross that (Dakota) off the list

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/13/17 9:12 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Having done exactly this job, id rather put my nuts in a vise and smack my dick with a hammer. I do NOT envy you.

Oddly enough, I think that's how I'm getting compensated.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/13/17 9:14 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: For real!?!?!!!!! the entire dash???? cross that (Dakota) off the list

Not just the dash, the center console too!

It went smoothly with abundant FSM hand holding, but I'm not looking forward to ever doing this again.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/17 9:32 a.m.
Crackers wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Having done exactly this job, id rather put my nuts in a vise and smack my dick with a hammer. I do NOT envy you.
Oddly enough, I think that's how I'm getting compensated.

it's nice to be appreciated.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/13/17 12:37 p.m.

'FSM hand holding' ??

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/13/17 1:33 p.m.

"Factory Service Manual"

I pretty much followed it to the letter. Saved me hours of time, no doubt.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/13/17 6:40 p.m.

Well aside from the one time use, automatically adjustable, non-serviceable, multifunction stoplight switch that is supposed to be replaced if it's ever removed, but I took it apart anyway and reset it so it works again, it went great and everything still works.

Back to Sheila tomorrow.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/13/17 9:24 p.m.

factory service manual.....BWahahahahaaa!!! when one access's the interweb, FSM equates to 'flyin spaghetti monster' ????...hey who knew

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
5/15/17 6:20 a.m.

If you thought that job was fairly easy, if you have a few spare days, could you drop by and fix the noisy vent fan in my Maserati, I think it involves removing everything ever connected to the car. Actually sometimes the vent fan in the BMW X3 makes some noise and that one is just as bad a job. The vent fan on the Volvo was a 10 minute job, some days I miss that car...

You are doing a great job with the truck!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/15/17 2:57 p.m.

I used to be a flat rate tech, and usually beat book time with hand tools, so I don't scare easy. I'm just lazy. LOL

Then again, I've also always been the type that can throw all the bolts in a pile and still sort out what's what faster than trying to lay everything out with labels etc. (Even after months.)

Case in point...

photo 20170419_161411_zpsaxnqg4em.jpg

I tend to refrain from posting photos like that to avoid getting scolded. LOL

Most of the projects that came in partially (or completely) disassembled went to me because of my ability to "see" where stuff was supposed to go.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/16/17 8:30 p.m.

So the old lady got some attention today.

I decided to work on the skirts around the wheel openings. I've been struggling with how to go about it for a while but finally made up my mind a couple weeks ago, and it went pretty well.

I started by laying it out on some steel.

photo 20170516_145137_zpskpdffm86.jpg

(This rusty crap was part of the original steel purchase for this job.)

Then I cut it out, made some relief cuts and drilled some 1/2" holes about 1/8" away from the corner because it's easier to patch round corners IMO. (I also wanted a small radius at the corner anyway.) Then it got clamped between the top rail and some heavy flat bar then hammered into shape.

photo 20170516_150901_zps73cxniap.jpg

I made both sides at the same time and meant to get a picture of the parts by themselves but I was on a roll. I'll try to snag a pic of the other one before I weld it in, maybe tomorrow probably Friday.

Anyhow, here it is mocked up.

photo 20170516_151710_zpsdecmkhsv.jpg

I got it welded in place and had to patch my relief cuts. Didn't really get any pictures of the process because it's boring, but here is one partly welded in.

photo 20170516_175714_zpspfongwbh.jpg

For better or worse I usually don't get super obsessive about having my patches 100% shaped before tacking them in place. I tend to think more like a tinsmith than a panel beater. So I after it was in I finished shaping my patch before welding in the corner.

photo 20170516_175908_zpsxtamsdxk.jpg

Then more welding and a bit of linishing and I ended up with this.

photo 20170516_180233_zpsvt32vjv1.jpg

Then some primer.

photo 20170516_193947_zpsqyfpwry6.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with how it came out. I was really trying to line up the openings with the crease in the body to get some interesting lines depending on perspective and I think I pretty well nailed it.

photo 20170516_194020_zpszgx8yeb4.jpg

With that done, the passenger side is mostly finished. I decided I'm going to redo the hinges in the side doors (again) so they're more serviceable, and adjustable. I don't even want to say how much time I put into the driver's side and it's still not right. So I'm redoing both so I don't have to be as accurate with my hole placement. (Also, the current design on this side kind of likes to get rusted shut. )

If I have time I'll whack the other one on tomorrow, or whenever...

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/16/17 8:52 p.m.

Dude those are the hottest skirts ever.....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aSdCrJC5gL66c1g4XrPBCaf4UtLlO60w0tD4uHwR4fkaNCGQ6LUeHlQ7wL9W2Yq3