1 2 3
1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/5/19 9:17 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD 

Now you’re picking up what I’m putting down.

Yes, cut a hole in the manifold and block off the position for the stock tb. Remove the hood or get a junk yard hood and cut a hole.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
3/5/19 9:42 a.m.

Well, I went ahead and bought a supercharger. If I can't figure out how to make it work in this car I'll probably find another car for it or make it into a lamp. Here's a picture of a similar one with some notes:

It all looks fairly simple: Suck air through the throttle body and push it down into the intake. The bypass will also dump directly into the intake with no need for plumbing. I think I can cut a big hole in the intake and make a plate with gaskets to mount it. I don't think I'll ever figure out Aluminum welding, but JB Weld can do almost anything if I need to stick aluminum together (if it doesn't need to last forever). If this is a bad idea, tell me now or start the popcorn.

Current budget:

Officially the car was $800 with banners, boxes of stuff, old long block and transmission, some oil, and coolant. The new R888 tires were included for $100 more. $900 total at pick-up. I just spent $200 for the supercharger. I may buy injectors (white 36#) for another $45, but I'm doing a little reading and looking thru my parts pile before I do.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
3/8/19 5:24 p.m.

I don't think that's going to work.

In theory it looked pretty simple. Bolt it on, add a pulley or two, and rig the throttle body to fit. That might have worked if I bought a more compact unit, like the one on the Super Coupe. When the box for my supercharger showed up at the end of the driveway and my wife said that it was too heavy for her to bring in, I thought I may have made a mistake.

This one is a little bigger than it looked in the pictures. There are shorter snouts and smaller Eaton superchargers. I could work on adapting this one: Force it to fit with a big mount and some tubing. That would be a slow path to a stalled project. I got this unit cheap and it's in good shape, but needs some clean-up. I'm going to make it look nice and resell it. Message me if you are in need of one. The seller said that this one was from an '04 or '05 Impala.

So, what next? Continue to review what I have and what needs to be done to make it run well, corner tight, and stop quickly. That will be plenty. What about MORE POWER? I'm seriously thinking of a Chinese turbo kit.

There's an interesting one on Amazon, but I'm a little scared to click the 'Buy Now' just yet. It looks pretty and has lots of good words. My experience with cheap 'all-inclusive' kits is that they are often a cobbled collection of flashy looking parts that will all end up in the trash in 6 months. Maybe this time it will be different. About $600 everything included except for instructions. Who ever reads the instructions anyway? Give me some pics and a YouTube. wink

What could go wrong?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/8/19 6:06 p.m.

The good news is you’ve got an m90. Do you have any machinists friends who can shorten up that snout? That blower will hardly be working on a vr6 as eaton says they are good on up to a 5l engine.

Ebay turbo kit will work. Still need management and stuff to build a downpipe....but nothing crazy. On low boost you can get away without an intercooler so that makes things a bit easier. 

I’d still try and make that blower work though because I’m a sucker for punishment and because the noise. 

I believe I’ve provided enough bad advice here. 

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
3/8/19 7:03 p.m.
1SlowVW said:

I believe I’ve provided enough bad advice here. 

Actually, I really appreciate your advice. Nothing wrong with what you said. The problem was more that I ran off and bought the cheapest working Eaton supercharger I could find without really going over the details of how it would actually fit. Here's a picture of one installed. Somehow mine looks a lot bigger when I set it in the car.

It can work, but at a quick glance there are a lot of complications getting it placed right. I think I'll hold on to it for now as I get the car cleaned up and running. No need to rush into the boost, but I still want to boost it - for the learning and the noise.

Edit: A second look and I think it won't be quite that bad. Positioned as shown above, the M90 will cover the oil filler cap/neck and the bypass will not directly vent into the intake. I think that I can still work around that if I pick up another intake to experiment with. (I don't want to sacrifice the original without a back-up.) I need to keep in mind that this does not need to be a reliable daily driver. I can trailer it to Florida for the Challenge. Money wasted on things that didn't work out won't be on the Challenge budget unless it is installed on the car. I still have time and funds, so I'm not giving up on the supercharger yet.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/16/19 12:53 a.m.

Ok, back to basics. Yes, boost will be awesome, but I should really focus on having a running, driving car before I bolt on a supercharger. I don't have a running car.

The #3 VW project car brazenly jumped ahead in line and kept me busy for most of March. Now I am back on the Golf. It was looking pretty sad for a while, in my overfull garage serving as a shelf for cleaning products tools that needed to be put away.

My plan for this car is to focus only as a challenge build. The Scirocco is special to me and still mostly intact as an original car. Work on that will go more towards a street restoration build. It is covered and stored, so best left  undisturbed for now until I get the Golf to a better state. After sorting through the parts boxes in the car I had: a coffee can of nuts and bolts, a tub of cooling system parts (mostly worn out or broken), a box of rubber boots, emissions parts, and a MAF housing, and a large box of unneeded interior parts. The original radiator and fan is in the interior and its a large all-metal thing. I don't think it's going to be part of a challenge car.
My current focus is to get the car running. The ad said that it just needed an ECU and coolant to be running. Lets just say that seller was pretty optimistic in saying that. Keep in mind that this was one guy's project that blew an engine, was partly repaired, then abandoned and sold to a friend as a non-running project partly fixed, then ripped apart and abandoned again. There are many layers of 'project' in this onion.

I still thought that when I sorted out the wiring, cobbled together an intake assembly, and closed up a cooling system, that I would be able to turn the key and hear signs of life - at least a popping rumble of misfires. That didn't happen. The key turned, the cluster indications dimmed and the silence became louder. Rather than push onward that day, I decided it was a fine day to change the oil and spark plugs in my lawnmower.
A couple days later, my initial suspicion is confirmed: gunked-up stater. After removing it, I got it to work eventually with some turning, tapping, and jumping. Tonight at work, I just finished taking it apart, cleaning it up and greasing it. Reassembled now, it has more play in the shaft than I like, but it should do it's job fine for a Challenge car.

Note for budget: I bought a set of hoses, cooling and vacuum, for $81.21 w/tax. Currently still using the hoses that came with the car, but they are rough and I don't want to rely on them.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/16/19 6:33 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

I'm jealous. I want the wheels for my Miata.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
4/16/19 7:38 a.m.

I've done some reading up on Eatons, I've been contemplating putting on my M42 (4cyl BMW engine).  The pontiac M90 Eatons have a longer profile.  The M90 used on a thunderbird has a smaller profile.  I think the Thunderbird version is what you should have been looking for.  The Pontiac versions seem a bit more common on CL.  

M90 Thunderbird Version

M90 Pontiac Version

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/17/19 10:36 p.m.

Here's a video from cranking it and sort-of running it today. I'm not 'building' it at this point. I'm just trying to see where my starting point is with the basics of cranking, fuel, air, spark, and timing.

In reply to Hoondavan :

The M90 Thunderbird Version is the one to get, but I haven't found one that looks budget friendly for the Challenge build. Once I get the car driveable, I'll have a better idea of what I can fit in the budget and start looking again.

de80q
de80q Reader
4/18/19 6:24 a.m.

The fact that it fired at all with no O2 sensor is a good sign.  Plugging that in should make a big difference.  I hate wiring, so God bless you for taking on someone else's rats nest.

10001110101 New Reader
4/18/19 7:57 a.m.

You won't have a tach with that speedometer needle bouncing. MK3 clusters are notorious for failing stepper motors and cracked solder joints. Sounds like it'll be a runner soon enough. Try unplugging the MAF, it'll default to a richer fuel map. 

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
hdgnZP4JqHpWwKzXaSou9Ob1TocWZZFpg7X7JqWDnz6a8iEwoc12WZtwvMntdglf