AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
9/13/19 1:33 p.m.

Just casually watching an auction today, I'm high bidder on a 1975 VW Beetle with a dual carb. No keys, so no idea if it runs or drives. Nobody pushed my lowball bid beyond $475. Seller's reserve is over $1,000. Not that I need any more cars/VWs, but you know just one more...  maybe get rid of the Mk2 Golf GTI VR6 mess.

Anyway, after fees and pick up, I'd probably be into this for about $2,000 if I accepted the reserve. My gut says, no more than $750 + fees for a mess that I might not want to get into this fall. Still, kinda cool and I see potential.

Here it is: https://www.copart.com/lot/43357369

What do the Beetle guys say? I haven't had one since the early 1980s.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/19 1:41 p.m.

That door sill/rocker panel looks fashionably crusty.

It's hard to gauge, but I wouldn't go for more than partout money for this one. And that's assuming that some of the expensive bits on the motor are actually usable. I agree with you that a grand for that seems excessive if you don't even know if it turns over. With all the fees and stuff I think you're safer off closer to your current bid than $750.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
9/13/19 3:20 p.m.

My top bid was $525. Thinking that it could be amusing to check it out, then resell or fix depending on condition - totally expecting to be outbid. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to hold at $475 and only take it if they let it go at that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something when they came back with the high reserve.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/19 3:23 p.m.

My gut says 525 with no fees is about max it should be

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
9/13/19 7:26 p.m.

Does the motor turn over by hand ?

any water in the oil ?

it has the earlier engine lid without cooling louvers , one piece door windows 

no picture of the nose , assuming its OK

If VW bugs are rare around you this does not look terrible , at $1000-$1200 all in , 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
waV3pnD8bTFknsr4EIcWHQBEIoONf1mirfnEzZleqM6wYwCSehgTmyUe66Oircsd