geekspeak
geekspeak New Reader
8/9/13 10:17 p.m.

I developed a No-Lag device for my 1997 Volvo V70 T5 for crossing an intersection.

It worked well. I tried to get a patent or some industry interest but no luck, so here it is for public consumption.

The complete documentation

Enjoy!

Geekspeak

beans
beans HalfDork
8/10/13 10:25 a.m.

Interesting. I'd be interested in how well it seals during positive pressure(under boost). It should've been very apparent that you wouldn't be able to patent/sell it without license of someone else's product(the check valve). Design your own check valve and get some better proof, you may have something on your hands there!

geekspeak
geekspeak New Reader
8/11/13 11:51 a.m.

In reply to beans:

Patents can also cover design and utility as well as product. Utility is the use of existing products in unique ways (as much of the technology patents are).

My patent was refused due to it being "unpatently obvious" although never used.

It sealed well making 29 psi peak at the manifold. The silicone seal is rated at 150 psi at 73 degrees and 140 degrees max. I also used marine clamps (higher rated) and silicone tubing.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/11/13 12:39 p.m.
geekspeak wrote: My patent was refused due to it being "unpatently obvious" although never used.

Oh that really burns my ass. I've seen stuff way more "obvious" than this get through.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/11/13 12:52 p.m.

So it bypasses the turbo until it spools up?

I'm fairly sure that Porsche was doing that in 1975.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
8/11/13 7:18 p.m.

My brother did this very thing about 15 years ago on his Daytona. It works well, particularly if the car is running a fairly poor flowing intercooler or intercooler piping. It allows the engine to freely ingest air without having to suck it through the IC before the turbo starts pushing positive pressure through the IC and associated piping.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/11/13 7:25 p.m.

I thought Toyota ran a demand valve on the supercharged MR2.

The old Accel and Rotomaster turbo kits also had one back in the 1970's.

geekspeak
geekspeak New Reader
8/12/13 9:27 p.m.

I am sure others have done this before but none were patented.

In the research of past submissions, there were many systems with exterior controls but none that just put the check valve in and let the valve itself do the switching.

I put it together just to solve my problem but when it worked so well, I then did the research. Since no one had the self-controlled valve, I decided to try.

I wish I had thought of it back with the 1976 911 Turbo Carrera, as that was a sweet car once it spooled but punching from a stop was a long and painful wait.

beans
beans HalfDork
8/13/13 9:04 a.m.

Also, this wouldn't work with a MAF vehicle where the MAF is placed pre-turbo(a la DSM); it would have to be a 'blow-through' style MAF setup with the check valve pre-MAF. I'd guess MAP/speed density setups would be a non-issue.

I like this. I'll have to try it out. I'm sure it'll get some wierd looks.

geekspeak
geekspeak New Reader
9/6/13 4:18 p.m.

In reply to beans:

Check the photos and documentation, this is post-MAF and pre-turbo. The bypass is across the turbo although mounted closer to the throttle body to be more efficient.

All air must pass through the MAF, but not all air must pass through the turbo (only pressurized air), thus the solution.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/13 11:55 a.m.

In reply to geekspeak:

nice work! i have no use for it since i have no boost, but i appreciate clever applications of stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RUcmbsNjQi003cUJo66XaejIfOEOGLuIONkypCXbpjTyx7R8VwAnEEPjEjIrsi7f