java230
java230 UltraDork
3/22/18 12:11 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Thanks! Cheap too. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/22/18 12:20 p.m.

You're welcome! Now I'm looking at onboard mounting options for my cheapo compressor LOL.

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/22/18 1:17 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Do It! laugh​​​​​​

Ordered a breaker and relay. Will have to grab some wire and connectors locally. The boat store is across the street from my office..... 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/22/18 1:32 p.m.

I might. In the ZJ the only location that makes sense space wise is under the hood, and I'm not certain my $50 China special compressor will survive the temps near that 318 in the summer.  Plus I should really spend that time and $ on other maintenance/repair stuff since I can just throw it in the back when I need it.

But it sure would be cool.

Hmmm...I wonder if any of the plastic panels in the wayback are deep enough to hide it inside....

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/22/18 1:37 p.m.

Yeah I wish I could get it under the hood, I have exactly zero space at all. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/25/18 11:38 a.m.

Lazy Airbag installer's filler location, not ideal. Climbing under the truck to check pressures or fill kinda sucked. Good news is that those are push to connect fittings there, and I have some airline.

Now they come out the back. Much better.

And today's sub'ed out mod. Ceramic tint on the front two windows. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/26/18 10:07 a.m.

A few more little things got wrapped up this weekend. 

Added some LED strips under the bed, it was dark trying to find things under there at times. Not any more, I may have gone a little overboard on light :D

4 strips on the bed frame.

Made a new switch mount for the lights and inverter.

Nice and bright!

Next up was OBA. I went the easy route and just mounted the compressor in the back under the bed. I love having a local supplier for nice wire, paired 8ga tinned marine wire. Good stuff. Used a 50A re settable breaker and it runs off the house batteries. 

Now a complaint on the puma, the stamped end cap where the air filter goes sucks, the threads are not well formed. I dont have a 1/2" NPT tap, so I got creative. The air filter had a very long nipple on it, so I cut it down, and simply epoxied it in place. 

Ratchet strap holds it nicely in place, however it also holds the head of the compressor right against the wall, that makes the whole truck become a resonator :) whoops. I can release it when running if I need to.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/26/18 11:15 a.m.
java230 said:
I love having a local supplier for nice wire, paired 8ga tinned marine wire. Good stuff. Used a 50A re settable breaker and it runs off the house batteries.

Nice looking wire. Where/who is this supplier?

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/26/18 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Ancor Marine is the brand, I get it at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. They have most of their wires sold by the foot. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
3/26/18 7:17 p.m.

I ran a piece of flat stock on top of the legs welded to the tank and bolted it down.  You might work something out like that.  Actually in hindsight, now that I have a welder, I'd just weld on some extensions to those legs so I could bolt down through them.  I recall it being a major pain to get bolts through that flat stock because they were right up against the tank.  

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
3/26/18 8:08 p.m.

laugh

You said nipple.... hehehehe.....

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/26/18 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

I was thinking about trying to bolt thru the OE feet. We will see. It did kick on in the middle of the night, and I could hear it in the house :) 

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/27/18 8:47 a.m.

J bolt? (If the OE feet have a flat bottom to em.)

That long nipple for the air filter may have been to let the air straighten a bit before it hit the compressor. (to increase efficiency)

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/27/18 8:56 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel :

Feet are big suction cups. I'll see how much it bothers me like it is. Someone else suggested just going back down to the floor with the strap too. 

Ah could Have been, it pulls into the "crank case" on the compressor. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
3/28/18 5:51 p.m.

Here you go dude!  Free 10 bolt 20" rims with tires!

https://bend.craigslist.org/zip/d/wheels-and-tires/6544165247.html

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/28/18 8:10 p.m.

Ford used a non standard lug pattern :( those are likely a Budd pattern wheel. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/11/18 11:18 a.m.

Took another ski trip, probably the last one for the year realistically.

Snow is rapidly vanishing....

This is the same CG at the end of Jan

Sunny spring skiing!

A bit of snow rain mix down low the next couple days.

Delicious treats and weather warm enough to have the door open! 

Driving up to the mid station lot makes for an easy spot. Parking right under the gondola.

Truck runs great, drives nice, there was a bit of a wind storm, 60+ side wind gusts, never felt bad at all. Averaged 9.6mpg doing 67mph in the 70 zones and 62-65 in the 60. Lots of stop and go and twisty windy in there too.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/11/18 5:29 p.m.

Caviar?

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/11/18 8:44 p.m.

Hell yes! Its really good stuff. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/16/18 4:00 p.m.

Why must Ford make everything hard? The mirror really needs to be one piece?!

Mirror stem extracted, getting attached to a monitor for review.

Taken from eye view point, does not bock much more than the mirror IMO

Wiring to come.... Wanted to have a starting and ending point before wildly running wires.

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/23/18 10:06 a.m.

GREAT Weekend. Started out Friday night in a CG, but everyone there spread out, and no one was around. Windy and a bit cold, so we made a big ol fire to sit around.

Hiked up Icicle ridge first thing in the morning, nice easy hike, ~3 miles each way, 1800ft of elevation. Weather was amazing! Sun, but not crazy hot summer temps. 

360 degree views off the top of the ridge. 

Nest up after lunch was some Eastern WA slab climbing! Its been years since I was here (Peshastin Pinnacles) again not sure crazy summer temps, but I still got a bit of sun.... Forgot how damn hard slabs can be to climb..... This one is well bolted which is nice, but leading was a bit sketch still, lots of moss/growth on the rocks from winter. This was the kids first taste of real outdoor climbing. 

Then off to find our camp spot! Probably the roughest road we have done to date. It wasn't bad, just slow going. A Subaru full of ladies just about drove off the road starting at us :D 19.5's don't give much, rocks make bumps, and this things sways back and fourth a lot, contemplating more air in the rear bags, but that would also increase spring rate. Maybe thats just a normal big truck thing. Will need a catch on the kitchen drawer, blue tape to the rescue!

Pictures sure flatten the road out.... 

Spot the truck? We hiked up the ridge for fun, it was steep!

Nice camp site, someone sets up hunting camp here, they have taken the time to dig a flat spot for a wall tent, water drainage ditches and everything.

Now back to truck stuff. Backup cam worked good! Need to get the second cam installed. I aimed the one we currently have ~35 degrees out, I cant quite see the bumper, and cant quite see the car behind me unless its right on my ass. But I treid aiming it down to where I could see the bumper and it was vertigo inducing watching the ground like that :D aimed out a bit is much much better!

Also sat in traffic for 3.5 hours to get an awning yesterday...... all caused by a little fruit stand thing on the side of the road!!! ARGG. Not how I wanted to spend my afternoon, but only two bridges in and out of where I went.... Its a 8' Carefree crank out. I wanted the larger version, but the price was right on this one! More ugly colors! 

Now mounting Q: The literature wants through bolts through the wall. I am assuming they are thinking typical camper construction with a thin fiberglass and luan skin. I don't want to through bolt.... It uses 2 1/4" bolts per mounting plate, Thoughts on 4 #10 screws in each plate (3 plates) instead? It weighs ~40-45# or so.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/23/18 10:43 a.m.

It might work. Just remember it's not just about the weight of the awning. You need to factor in wind load, and in your case snow load as well. I'd be inclined to make it as secure as I could.

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/23/18 12:01 p.m.
ShawneeCreek said:

It might work. Just remember it's not just about the weight of the awning. You need to factor in wind load, and in your case snow load as well. I'd be inclined to make it as secure as I could.

Yeah I think its the wind, and I am a bit worried about shearing them off on bumpy roads. It does have tow legs that tie from the outer edge back to the body down lower, that would help with wind up lift.

Would Riv-Nuts be better?

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/25/18 1:03 p.m.

Started installing the awning last night. Decided to go with Riv-Nuts. 

Got two of the three mounting plates on, drilling the very last hole (of 6) and hit wires. berkeley berkeley berkeley.  berkeley berkeley. 

I tested the wires, no 12v, so I thought maybe it was my "spare" run I had going over to the kitchen side. Stripped the end of that and tried continuity, nothing. No blown fuses, everything works still. Said enough for the night and went inside…..

Laying in bed last night pissed off... Thinking about this bull......

I had a brain wave! I ran a wire from the lower cabinets up to where the 120V outlet is on the wall above the kitchen, the original plan was microwave up there, and I though I might need an under cabinet light, so I ran a LV wire between the 120V box and the lower cabinets. 

Jumped out of bed, grabbed a roll of wire, strippers and my meter. Boom, that's the wire I hit!! Luckily its not being used..... Maybe be able to separate the strands and liquid electrical tape it. But its not the end of the world if that one ends up being useless.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/18 1:24 p.m.

Nice save. You might also be able to use the current wire to pull a new wire through the walls. I'd rather do that than patch the one that's in there.

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2w7wc5IvjH9GqKBYQBcag9eOenJbaB1sW6v79qCInJR9DVUl5uISjPaNidkHcJer