1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 37
java230
java230 UltraDork
4/25/18 1:29 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

If it's dead I'm not going to worry. There is a couple 90 degree tight Bends and it's all spray foamed in place, I don't think I could pull one if I wanted to! Not a big deal Though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/25/18 1:54 p.m.

well, if the riv nuts pull out it will be a good start to putting bolts through. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/25/18 1:57 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Hush your mouth.frown

They had better not pull out..... 

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/27/18 2:49 p.m.

Opened and added the leg mounts to the walls. Put them just high enough to walk under (unless you walking within 12" of the truck... )

Give me a follow :) Or we will see how much hate mail I get in traffic....

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/27/18 10:07 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

I’d get the tarp tie downs, pretty helpful in wind or a light breeze can whip that thing off. Looking good though!! 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/18 12:15 a.m.

Did I see your rig on r/overlanding a few days ago?

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/28/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to bgkast :

Yep, a week or so ago! Just in a campground this weekend 

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/30/18 11:00 a.m.

Took off early Friday to get some climbing done before the rain came in.

View from the top is pretty good.

Rolled into camp at sunset.

Wet morning. 

That was the end of the fun, then we headed to the inlaws.... Last car on the boat!

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/4/18 9:40 a.m.

So I have mentioned its a bit of a jarring ride.... Well The USB ports stopped working after out last "rough" trip.....

Last night I pulled it apart to see what was going on. Luckily I left enough slack to get it out. And the switch panel uses a standard sized hole, so I can replace it as needed.

Bounced down enough roads to literally break the two PCB's apart.... There were 4 solder joints holding it, tore most of the traces off and broke in half. Was not expecting that!

But I soldered it back together with big old solder goopyness. They reinforced it with hot snot. Slipped it back into the housing and filled that with hot glue too. Hopefully that lasts a bit longer :D

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/7/18 12:55 p.m.

Mobile cabin FTW. I love this truck!! 350 miles of pavement, half mile of dirt. Spent the weekend climbing in Frenchman Coulee. A little overcast which was super nice to keep the temps down.

Lots of people, a couple big groups, but not bad at all.

Just terrible.

Getting up early was rewarded by not so many people on the routes, and cooler temps. The basalt is really fun, some slaby sections, but grippy, and lots of ledges and pcokets too.

Kiddo did awesome

Fun little slot canyon approach to one of the walls. It was actually pretty tight.

Pretty crazy landscapes.

Ran across a couple danger noodles. Both were pretty small and unimpressed with us.

Tested out my folding solar panel. Its sold as "100 watt" but my reading seems to make me think its made from two 40w panels.... I was unimpressed. It was a bit overcast, but I saw 1.26A max. (it was showing 16w input)

Now back to truck stuff.

Pulled ryegrass grade at 64mph on cruise control. Oil temp was 212 and coolant was 208 ish? Goes from the Columbia river~500ft? to 2300 ft in 5 miles. Ran right around 1k EGT's at 30-35psi boost.

Thoughts on what Ford engineers their leaves to take? Its rated at 5,800-6,200 payload in the bed. Do they build the packs for 75% of payload? 50%? Supposedly they are progressive leaf packs. I have added bags and run 75 psi in them to stay up off the overloads. But I have been thinking of getting a custom pack made for my weight. Thoughts? Much benefit over bags and OE leaves?

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/18 1:10 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Maybe try running the bags at 50? 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/7/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to grover :

Ill be really close to the overloads (maybe even on them) at 50psi. And they squeak like CRAZY. Door sticker says 14500GVWR and I am just barely under that, plus 115k on the springs, they may be tired. And I may need more rear shock....

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/7/18 2:26 p.m.

Honestly, you want bags just for ride comfort. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/7/18 3:06 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

Kelderman 4 link and bags :) ugh. sooo much $$$. I have their front parts on order.... But I like springs for the heavier rear, and non popping ness.

I have add on bags now.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/7/18 4:03 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Well yeah, I mean in addition to springs. I don’t think I’d want a stand-alone airbag setup on a pickup style truck. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/7/18 4:21 p.m.

Ah ok, I already have those, running 75spi in them. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/7/18 6:55 p.m.

What’s the weight capacity on those bags? 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/7/18 7:42 p.m.

No idea, didn't install. They are large convoluted ones. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/8/18 2:07 a.m.

Hmm ok, well the ones I bought for my truck are 5k capacity, so 2500 lbs a piece. My buddy bought a 7k capacity set, so 3250 lbs each for his 2014 Ram 3500. 

I generally run 50-70 psi depending on the tongue weight of the trailers I pull. He said he ran around 80-90 psi pulling Class A 5th Wheels. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/8/18 7:30 a.m.

They look like 5k ones to me. I'll see if there is a part number next time I'm down there 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/14/18 12:02 p.m.

Every time we do a trip in this thing I realize how much I love it. Comfort, drive like a dream (AC sucks.... ) but its great.

Did ~520 miles, 2 lakes, two climbing areas, one island, one ferry and a ton of fun. Big loop, and crossed hwy 20 that just opened Friday, which is such an awesome area.

Came back for the tall walls from last weekend, I didn't have enough gear to climb them! Topped out our 60m rope, top anchor was ~90' off the belay station. So fun, had not lead anything that tall. Was not a real hard lead, a couple tricky spots, but some good pucker being that high.

On a ledge half way up

nearly at the top

Kiddo going up

Not a bad spot.

We headed to Fun Rocks in Mazama next. Found an amazing camp site.

Fun granite! Tougher than it looked.

Heading over hwy 20

And I think we have a goal for the end of summer some time..... Its only a 5.6 climb, but 4 pitches, should be fun.

And we saw both sides of baker today too!

Truck stuff:

Faucet has rattled loose a little. AC sucks.

I used my super cheap ass "AC Gauge" And it read "green" pressure, but it builds to ~70 psi on the low side, then drops the compressor off, like every ~6-8 seconds. I'm pretty sure the system has been apart, when the motor was pulled. Not enough pressure/oil? Ideas? Its blows cool ish, not cold. Worth buying a vac pump and gauge set and starting over?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/15/18 11:02 a.m.

I would start over. It’s always good to know you did it. When the low pressure line popped in Big Red, I had to start from fresh anyways, but the A/C is 48 degrees at its coldest now and it probably could be colder, but I freeze myself out sometimes. 

Harbor Freight is your best friend for that stuff. I bought the Gauges, Vacuum Pump, and refrigerant there for probably $150 total. I had to buy the PAG oil and adapter for the refrigerant cans at O’Reillys. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/15/18 11:17 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

I would start over. It’s always good to know you did it. When the low pressure line popped in Big Red, I had to start from fresh anyways, but the A/C is 48 degrees at its coldest now and it probably could be colder, but I freeze myself out sometimes. 

Harbor Freight is your best friend for that stuff. I bought the Gauges, Vacuum Pump, and refrigerant there for probably $150 total. I had to buy the PAG oil and adapter for the refrigerant cans at O’Reillys. 

Yeah I am thinking that may be the case.... I ordered a gauge set off Amazon, half the price of HF. That should help figure out whats going on anyway.

From my quick googling, my system looks like its either over pressurized or the orifice tube may be plugged. It should not be hitting 70psi on the low side ever.

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/18/18 10:03 a.m.

Picked up some proper AC gauges. 

After dumping one 12oz can in, no compressor turning on. Compressor engages jumping the low pressure switch. 

But let it run on its own and low pressure side drops to ~20psi compressor cycles off. 

So some googling says it should be either 26-27 or 34-36oz depending on which spec this truck is.... So I "should" have enough refrigerant in it, but the pressures are not quite right. Low pressure side drops to 20psi and the compressor cycles off. Plugged orifice tube perhaps? High pressure side never goes above 150 ish. Removing the gauges showed there is some dye on the high side. 

wae
wae SuperDork
5/18/18 10:14 a.m.

I don't know, man, but I think that low pressure gauge is calling you names.

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A5CDOPV6bfbK5HrqSsSnvCbasAAdjz190FJGYZxLDfg1GzphQ77gPNsHCgFS9NHZ