1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37
ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/18 12:22 p.m.

I'm liking the new look sans blue. Much more subtle.

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/24/18 12:34 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

Thanks, I am too, subtle is much better on this lumbering beast.

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/25/18 8:16 a.m.

Finally

Thye are a lot bigger than the measurements would make it seem.....

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
10/25/18 9:20 a.m.

Java, those wheels are going to be awesome on your rig!  As for mounting the spare, i'd keep it as low as possible for obvious reasons.  Could you cut the latch handles off the locking bars, and weld them back on a little higher.  Just above the top of the spare tire.  You could also do what earth roamer does and use a small atv winch hooked to the top of the swing out tire mount to raise and lower it.  Anyway you go, we'll all look forward see it come together.

Paul

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/25/18 9:39 a.m.

In reply to paulmpetrun :

They are so nice. I am very pleased. Other than they are designed to be singles.... No running two on the rear.

Yes moving/modding the handles is an option, as is the winch, I am still thinking lift/swing of some sort as I really dont want to add a winch/cable/complications if I can avoid it. But It took me and another guy to just lift them onto the flat bed, no way I am picking one up enough to get it "up" on the door. Heavy and awkward shape and weight balance.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/25/18 10:02 a.m.

Those things are beefy!  What's the estimated weight?

If you are running them as singles, how did you end up with 8?  When I first saw the picture I thought you were running DRW with 2 spares.

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/25/18 10:30 a.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

I planned to run DRW, but these are designed to be singles. Not enough lip/hub engagement or long enough studs to run DRW. The seller only wanted to sell as sets of 4, it was cheaper to buy a whole second set than a single new wheel and tire.... The wheels are rediculously expensive  

They are 160lbs on the dot. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/25/18 8:08 p.m.

Daylight pics. Its bitchin IMO

Drives GREAT, just around town so far, but feel 99% the same as the OE setup.

Going to have to watch that disk.

Much clearancing happened. Still rubs back there.... Fender liner isnt really covering anything once your just inside the wheel well where the body seam is. May just hack it off.

Sorry for the blurry, but boost leak much? Got a new OE boot on that.

Now more tech.... I updated the tire size with my tuner and it rewrote the tuning wrong.... Zero throttle, tons of smoke, bad. So I returned to stock, definitely down on power, but much less smoke. I will try a tank and see how the MPG's are, I will miss the power, but not the soot, if the MPG's are the same I will stay with it probably.

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/30/18 10:01 a.m.

Any of you greater Seattle area guys have an aluminum welding setup I could talk you into using? I need to make a tire carrier.... Its simple, needs ~36" of weld.

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/31/18 8:53 a.m.

Scratch that. I'm just doing it out of steel. Parts acquired. Maybe I ca get it stuck together this afternoon.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
10/31/18 10:16 a.m.

Did I miss the weight rating discussion of going to single? That seems alot of weight for one tire, but they make some tough tires if you spend the money! Just curious, this is all out of my depth, so I like reading about it learn new things.

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/31/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to FunkyCricket :

Tires are rated for 6395 each, wheels are rated for 6830 each. Should be good to go, I am just over 8k on the rear axle.

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/2/18 9:41 a.m.

Spare tires are good... Would not fit in the stock location without cutting the exhaust off.

So I whipped up a spare mount for the back door. Not my prettiest fab work, but its solid. Two verticals to spread the load over a few panels of the door, and a "basket" for the wheel to sit in.

Through bolted on the door. I can bounce on it with no movement. 

And with the tire in place, I used E-Track mounts and straps. 

Added a lifting eye above the door, come along and a snatch block make getting it up there possible, once the rear winch goes in it will be much easier....

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/5/18 10:35 a.m.

First long trip!

Stopped for dinner at the top of the pass. They definitely suck power. (remember I went back to stock tune too) but got pretty hot (oil almost 230, water 220) and I was only doing 50-55. Maxing speed keeping boost under 40 and EGT's under 1100. I was able to just about keep 60 before I believe. Dropped about 300 rpms cruising at 65, but making more boost everywhere. More boost=more fuel....

Need to fill up, but I think it's a little worse mpg.... Not much, but a little.

Drives nice. Will try the tune on the next trip.

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/9/18 10:56 a.m.

Finally spent the $$ on a good set of SAE rated lights I could run on the street. The beam and cutoff is impressive.

I'm cheap, so I did not buy the $$ brackets that bolt right in.... Some scrap alu a vise and a hammer and drill, and I made some. Passenger side had different holes in the bumper.... Odd, but both are in place.

And Ford is nice enough to use the same wiring harness in all their trucks, simple as ordering the headlight switch with the fog light function (at $30 whopping dollars for the OE part!), popping it in the dash, and connecting to the harness that is run to just above the drivers headlight. 

Done.

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/12/18 12:21 p.m.

PSA Pre fit your tire chains, these are supposed to fit, my tire size is on the bag, but I ahd to cut 8 links off and remove a cross bar.... Glad In tested them.

Amazing weekend though, We went to find snow, and find it we did! Forecast was way off, ~10" or so at least.

New Rigid's are awesome. Usable light, no one flashed me all weekend, and I can SEE!

The turn off the highway. 

Where we stopped for the night. I drove all the way up in 2wd, apparently I forgot to unlock the hubs last weekend, so I jumped out to lock them in when we hit snow and unlocked them.... No wonder the ass end was squirming around.

Not a bad view to see in the morning. Snow firmed up over night and it took a fair bit of spinning to back out of there. Parking brake froze too (well the sensor/cable did, brake released, but chime chimed for miles.....)

Went for a couple of COLD hikes.

Not doing the pass this time of year LOL

Spotted a black bear in a tree....

Then headed to a usual spot for the night. It was clear and COLD.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/18 1:06 p.m.

The new wheel/tire combo is looking pretty good. Any plans to do something about the rear disks? Like, can they be moved out to the protection of the new wheels?

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/12/18 1:42 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

They are stuck there AFAIK. The disk hat is the parking brake, and I think the backplate needs to be there. The plan is a "Shark Fin" likely bolted on via the Ubolts. I am also debating how much of an issue it really is. They are beefy ass disks.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/12/18 1:54 p.m.

Once again, I am blown away by the scenery you're close to. The truck looks amazing, too.

I do have this to look at on a daily basis:

(my back yard.) But that's about as hilly as it gets here.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/12/18 1:59 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

They are stuck there AFAIK. The disk hat is the parking brake, and I think the backplate needs to be there. The plan is a "Shark Fin" likely bolted on via the Ubolts. I am also debating how much of an issue it really is. They are beefy ass disks.

You should see if anyone can turn some stock ones on a mill to cut off the rotor surface to get you a little more clearance. make basically a mini drum and find a way to disable the caliper with a plate or something. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/12/18 2:00 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I feel very lucky to live here. Its a outdoor paradise! Serisouly. 

Actually no it rains all the time, you dont want to live here. Its horrible.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
11/12/18 2:01 p.m.

i had the same question about the disk and hubs. Just getting more crap on them. 

that is some amazing scenery for sure!

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/12/18 2:33 p.m.

definitely more crap. Parking brake froze this trip, never done that before! I think it was the cable though as the brake had released..... Maybe dut ot the singles?

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
11/27/18 10:38 a.m.

while the brakes aren't sealed, the wheel and hub combination do protect it from alot of the schmutz that can be thrown up. Maybe just get some plastic protection to go around them? maybe some of those ikea cutting boards?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/18 11:45 a.m.
java230 said:

definitely more crap. Parking brake froze this trip, never done that before! I think it was the cable though as the brake had released..... Maybe dut ot the singles?

This happened to my Ram around 20F and below occasionally. It's worse when driving through sloppy snow and then it refreezing. I lubricate all I can of the exposed cable in fluid film and that seems to keep it happy. Additionally, if it's really cold I park flat and don't use the parking brake as I don't feel like climbing under there in the cold.

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qfxGefvRmiAuDd9lmzQG5zmQDlLFxe121eda2hlYRWRzyIjpGx2PJBpwbmNsX81z