1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37
java230
java230 UberDork
9/25/20 12:45 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Both front were like that.... Alignment was berkeleyed! 1.7 degrees tow out..... Hopefully that was the issue.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/13/20 4:28 p.m.

Got TPMS on, I really want to know how far I can go low, before I see tire temp issues. No idea waht "normal" is though

Started 70 front 90 rear (LR was higher starting also)

Temps in C. The extra two sensors are in the back, so kinda ambient. I am surprised they were so different. All started at 27 before driving.

What surprised me was the higher pressure rear tire was also higher temp. FWIW 28C = 82.4F

Just screw on doohickies.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/16/20 10:13 a.m.

Pretty sure fuel filters are not supposed to be that color.... changed 10k ago ish I believe.

But I did get the roof coated and done. It was a little bit of a poop show, because of course I wait till last minute and rain is expected....

I've been putting off coating (DON'T USE SIKA ON THE ROOF....) the roof, this is the last week of ok weather before rain.... But it cooled way down and is overcast...

Scrubbed the berkeley out of it. Leaf blower towels and pray for it to dry....

This is why, the E36 M3 gets all soft after water/UV exposure.

Mask off the universe. Didn't want epoxy dripping down the sides.

Mix part A and B of the epoxy primer. Here is berkeley up number one.... Part A had settled.... I didn't realize it till I dumped what I needed out of the bucket. There was a ton of solids on the bottom. I scooped some out and tossed it in my mix..... Hoped for the best. Should have grabbed a bigger clean bucket to mix it all in. Didn't even think of that.... berkeley.

Rolled it on. It was skinning a little bit in the tray etc, so I thought it would be ok.

Went out this morning, and its soft still...... It got a fair bit of dew, but the temps stayed above 55 (truck said 58 this morning). Called the tech line, they said if it was under 50 it will REALLY slow the cure. Thoughts? And i berkeleyed by my mix or is this E36 M3 gonna set up? If it doesn't I have a huge berkeleying mess to clean up. And its not water proof.... And its supposed to rain tomorrow. berkeley. I need two top coats on it today...... The primer wasn't required even for the coating, but I figured it couldn't hurt to use it....

Well I got one coat on before rain. So I am happy as hell. Headed to the desert this weekend, so ill bring the other gallon with me and do it there.

It's cured up nice and beads like crazy right now! 

java230
java230 UberDork
10/26/20 3:33 p.m.

How all the fun begins!

Camp!

Got a little snow over night. Got real cold tho

Did some snow shoeing, lots of sledding.

Ill take that for a cold start win! 12.4F

House batteries were getting low.... They don't like the cold. Alternators were doing 70-90 amps at idle while it warmed up.

Idled down without any drama.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
10/26/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

I was wondering if you guys were gonna get clobbered by that one...

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/20 9:17 p.m.

I actually kind of hate following this build, because I have trouble controlling my jealousy of both the truck and the places you go ;)

keep it up!

java230
java230 UberDork
10/27/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

We sure tried! Lot less snow then they predicted tho.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

java230
java230 UberDork
2/8/21 11:00 a.m.

Wow I have not updated this in forever.... Been using it like crazy though.

Pulled the world apart to install a temp sensor. Sick of the battery ones being dead all the time. Apparently the stove will leak down onto the fridge..

Not ideal location, but had to work around everything back there.

This thing sure is cozy though 

When you open the door in the morning and BERK YEAH happened overnight. 22" in 24hrs.

A couple nice runs then ALL of Seattle showed up.

so we had lunch and went home. I did shovel a bit in front of the truck, but 4x4 worked and we pulled out with zero drama. Still need to figure a roof ladder out 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/21 11:36 a.m.

I may have missed it but do you ever have to chain up or is it not required? It's not required up here but I remember seeing lots of signs in the Sierra Nevada's and other passes that chains are required. I would imagine with your weight and tires it wouldn't be an issue.

java230
java230 UberDork
2/8/21 11:51 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I kind of ride a gray area there..... I am 4x4/AWD so not usually required, but also technically over 10k lbs. But IMO the 10k is aimed at commercial which are generally 2wd. 

I have chained up 2x, neither of which were on a pass, both of FS roads to get me out of trouble...... I do always carry them and a big pile of rubber bungees.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/26/21 10:03 p.m.

Well I saw the truck Thursday on my way to one of my jobs. Wasn't expecting it but it's hard to miss as it's a lot bigger looking than the pictures leads on. Haven't been on the road for years but had a buddy that lived on the top of the hill on 1st. Kind of cool to actually see one of the actual projects on the board.

java230
java230 UberDork
3/29/21 9:32 a.m.

In reply to brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) :

Ha nice to see another local! And yes shes a big girl :)

Start to a possibly stupidly overcomplicated project. I want to be able to work from this thing occasionally. I need better cell/data service. The aluminum box kills it, we have a little mifi device, and it works ok inside usually, but it generally better on the roof. Plus I seem to always end up in marginal coverage areas....

So, I will be adding a cell system to the truck. Part one, antenna lifter. I don't want giant ass antenna on the roof, one it will put me over 12'6 and two it will get ripped off by branches. 32" stoke pneumatic cylinder should do the trick. Antenna is 30" tall. The plan is to mount the antenna to the top. Hopefully it doesn't flex the shaft too bad... Its 6.2 lbs. Shaft is 5/8" SS

Data and plumbing parts.

Got a couple bid ass nuts to mount the cylinder. 1 3/8" fine thread. I powder coated them which turned out to be a bad idea. If anyone knows where to find a 1 3/8" aluminum nut let me know.... I see some as "panel mount rings" but they don't specify thread pitch. More jamb nut style ideally, these are huge.

A couple quick mounted to bolt to the door.

Mounted the cylinder.

Antenna get mounted on top of the cylinder.

Bulkhead fittings for the air lines get them inside, then air switch.

And it goes up!

•  

• Goes up, goes down. Feels pretty solid locked in the down position. All the weight of the antenna is right at the bottom which helps. Uses a lot of air. Compressor kicks on about half way up.

Ignore the booger welds.... just stick the clevis that came with the cylinder to a piece of plate. Powdercoated it and bolted the antenna on. Get well above the roof line!

Need some cable management, I am thinking a piece of light pressure surgical tubing, that should help pull the cables back inside.

Weekend report. It works GOOD.

I have a leak somewhere, it drops down over night. I was closing the valve I put in between the compressor and switch since as I was about the leave it started leaking/blowing fittings off. I didn't have time to berkeley around with it yet. May be a little more pressure than the switch is happy with.

Router got installed on the back wall above the toilet.

Signal at the router.

Straight from the phone

On the wifi. Almost double the speed.

Warm weather feels pretty damn good.

Pizza was good too. Pellet fired oven is pretty slick.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/29/21 6:54 p.m.

so much depth to this build i love it.  would also rather have this than any van/camper/rv on the market right now

java230
java230 UberDork
3/30/21 9:49 a.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq :

Thank you! I am still really happy with how it works for us. A few little things I would do differently next time, but not much really.

java230
java230 UberDork
5/26/21 10:09 a.m.

Soooo where is the best spot to T into the cooling system on the 6.4's? A local buddy just gave me a new hot water heater than uses a coolant loop.....  

51203857374_83be1ef0cd_b.jpg

Assuming I can fix these threads

51203084141_8d3af0049b_b.jpg

I was thinking oil cooler lines? 

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
5/26/21 11:48 a.m.
java230 said:

Soooo where is the best spot to T into the cooling system on the 6.4's? A local buddy just gave me a new hot water heater than uses a coolant loop.....  

51203857374_83be1ef0cd_b.jpg

Assuming I can fix these threads

51203084141_8d3af0049b_b.jpg

I was thinking oil cooler lines? 

Used to be (might still be) that the majority of the simple versions of these water heaters are plumbed into the lines that direct coolant to the interior heater. In vehicles with manual hot/cold dials, you set the water temp by adjusting the amount of heat on the dash dial. Not sure if it's the same with high-end water heater units or if the vehicle has a computer-controlled climate system?

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/26/21 12:18 p.m.

Are those NPT threads in aluminum? I've seen a few tanks that did that, and it's one of the worst ideas. You thread an aluminum fitting into it and it galls the second there's even a few threads engaged. Anyway, shoot for a helicoil/time sert fix there. If that fails, then you can go the slightly harder route of welding a new bung on. 

java230
java230 UberDork
5/26/21 12:43 p.m.

In reply to edwardh80 :

This is a more new fangled unit. Supposed to control the temp to 150. Assume there is some sort of valve in there that will stop the coolant flow once temp is reached. EDIT: It doesn't just get REALLY hot.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Yep, NPT in aluminum.... Brass fitting just blew the threads out. I have a tap on the way and hopefully I can just tap it a bit deeper.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/21 2:25 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

If you tap into engine cooling system, make sure you put a bypass with valves under hood so a creature comfort failure doesn't disable you.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/26/21 2:57 p.m.

Being tapered threads you should be able to tap deeper. Make sure you use a fitting without a shoulder to get the additional depth. Use pipe dope AND teflon tape. Seriously. NPT in aluminum. So awful. 

java230
java230 UberDork
5/26/21 7:09 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

100%! Planning on that for sure. 

java230
java230 UberDork
5/26/21 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I have a bottle of loctite thread seal. Purple goop. Should work?

Tap just showed up! 

java230
java230 UberDork
6/17/21 7:54 a.m.

Took a gamble and am dipping my toe into lithium..... Found a 48V 69ah battery on CL that said make offer. Didn't work. So I low balled. Should be 276AH at 12v. Opened it up and there is a E36 M3 stain on the BMS. Cells should be good! 336 cells....

Anybattery nerds here? Need bms suggestions. Going to try to make a 4s4p out of it.

And I am thinking of tieing it to my existing AGM bank. It sounds like if I have an isolator between the agm and a separate charger for the lithium voltage profile (or BMS that charges) it should work?

51251776191_d49ad3ff40_h.jpg

51251972943_dc4001089b_h.jpg

java230
java230 UberDork
10/18/21 11:55 a.m.

New Diode Dynamics SS3 Max Fogs. Have them on the Tundra and they literally are the best out there.

Another weekend in the desert. Its good.

Gaco Roof is good so far. A couple nicks on lumps that stuck up, probably due to shoveling snow off the roof.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/21/21 10:13 a.m.

I've looked hard but missed something basic...

How big is your box?  Is that a 14' high roof body?

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HrVf8P7HtAbVzHVlt9b0jf0aWotbjelSn9b99Ser4RtQXnUyrofPIeJvzlOBEo8Y