1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37
java230
java230 Dork
2/13/17 11:41 a.m.

Since the old ship has sailed, time to kick it in gear.

Good bye old friend. You will be missed.

Since its the time of the year it usually rains in the PNW, dry weekends must be used to their fullest.

I was in a bit of a hurry, so not too many pics.... But window #2 is installed.

Window #3, drill 4 big holes. Connect the dots.

Cut and fit interior panels.

Slap in window.

java230
java230 Dork
2/13/17 7:42 p.m.

It's sooo shiny.... And my wallet is sooo much lighter.... This should be the last big $ purchase!

java230
java230 Dork
2/14/17 11:32 a.m.

Made a quick time lapse of the weekend's work

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jT-EPChY_Xs

At the start of the weekend.

Wrapped up the ceiling

Sanded and stained last night. Changing color

First coat done

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/14/17 12:16 p.m.

Nice progress man, I can't wait to see the finished product.

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/15/17 2:02 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Thanks! Me as well!

Ok back to heater gas tanks.....

I am thinking separate tank again. After talking with one diesel heater mfg they said they will soot up much less on kerosene at higher elevations. It would be handy to be able to do that.

Im thinking maybe this tank (early CJ 2a/3a) its 10.5 gallons.

In this space.

However, Its ~8.25" tall, not including the filler neck (im assuming!) And Ideally I would get it below the horizontal body line. That is the floor level in the truck. So I could cut in a small hole just below that to fill the tank. Tank is also ready for a sending unit, which could be a nice touch. Also I dont want it to hang down too far, as I dream of cutting the back end off at an angle one day. 10" or less is ideal.....

The other option is an RV basement/storage door in that location, and use a 6/6.5 gallon boat tank there, I would be able to build a cradle there pretty easy.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
2/15/17 2:09 p.m.

In reply to java230:

If you put it under the truck, is a skid plate a possibility? Or would it still be too low? And I might have missed it somewhere along the line but will the truck be getting any sort of lift or is it staying stock height?

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/15/17 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Bill Mesker:

Skid is possible. Its a steel tank though. (but the pickup is off the bottom....) I will likely get a lift at some point, but not soon. Its got brand new tires to wear out and I am out of money!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/16/17 9:07 a.m.

I think chopping the back is a good idea. maybe a couple cheap rollers back there could be usefull for now to keep from hanging up the rear. even while you wait on a lift I think you'll be miles deeper in the backcountry than the old truck could take you. good work!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/16/17 11:13 a.m.

Boat tank is probably cheaper and easier. If you decide to change it up down the road a boat tank is easy to repurpose or sell on craigslist. Is it worth doing right the first time or figuring out what "right" is first?

That cedar looks sooooo good!

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/16/17 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

Yeah I'm torn. I like the steel tank, its only a small fuel access that way, if I do boat tank its a big ass door cut in the side. unless maybe I unbolt the tail light panel. Just thought of that. Ill have to look.

Cleaned the garage last night. I now have about about 6'x15' of usable space. Soon to be cabinet shop.... Also found out the cabover is still leaking.... Ugh. We got more than an inch of rain yesterday, once it drys out a bit Ill have to caulk it from the outside.

Knocked out the bed frame. Its dimensions kinda drive everything.

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/20/17 12:58 p.m.

I love these splices. Crimp on, self adhesive shrink wrapped. Good stuff.

Got the LED exterior light done.

Fan trims and interior pucks in.

I had to hook them up to see if it was going to be enough light. I was worried it wouldn't be as they are quite small. Its a good amount of light!

Started framing up the rear storage/wall. Its 1" .072 steel, this give me a 1" area I can insulate, and gives me some structure to support the bath wall from.

In place. This will be the exterior storage.

Bathroom wall and bed frame just about done. Cutting stupid angles wiht a skill saw sucks.

18" clear under the bed frame for storage. The plan is to have it lift up for access from inside.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/20/17 10:16 p.m.

You have done a surprisingly large amount of progress on this. Keep it up.

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/21/17 9:47 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: You have done a surprisingly large amount of progress on this. Keep it up.

Thanks, its getting exhausting though! Cut pieces for the bench seats yesterday. And added a panel at the end of the bed so I can open the passenger side door without exposing the bed to the elements.

We have a big trip planned for July, hopefully it gets a few test runs in before then....

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/23/17 10:33 a.m.

Here is the panel, this will insulate the inside from the outside when the passenger rear door is opened.

Got the benches cut and partly together

And i have enough scraps of maple 1x3's for the kitchen cabinet face frame!

Got a fair bit done yesterday.

Cabinet will separate the bed/dinette area. The bottom will have a pull out drawer for trash and recycle. The middle will be a pantry drawer, and the top will be a shelf open to the dinette side. It also created the back and base of the bench seat.

Bench sitting in place. Heater or water tank will go here. Like heater so its closer to the center of the truck, but that means small water tank..... Thoughts on heater not close to center? It would go right at the front wall, under the other bench.

All together

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
2/23/17 6:06 p.m.

this is an epic build. I only wish I had this kind of skill and creativity. Keep it up, quickly becoming my favorite build on here!

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/23/17 8:11 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

That means a lot coming from you! I get to rally vicariously through your thread, so I'm glad your enjoying mine too

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
2/24/17 12:51 a.m.

I too am impressed not just the speed but the quality of the work. Great job! Regarding the heater... I think the space is small enough that the heater being in the front won't make much of a difference. It might also be quieter for you while you sleep since it's further from the bed.

We warm our 26' Airstream with a space heater in the back when connected to electricity and it seems to warm the whole trailer ok in the PNW.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
2/24/17 6:34 a.m.

I've been enjoying this as well- it seems like the only way to get a truly well built, intelligently laid out RV is to build it yourself!

java230 wrote: In reply to irish44j: That means a lot coming from you! I get to rally vicariously through your thread, so I'm glad your enjoying mine too

You guys should both duplicate your vehicles and make a swap, a java230 hauler with an irish44j rally car would be a pretty sweet setup. Hell, lets get some jstancel pit bikes and a mazdeuce support vehicle while we're at it...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/17 7:33 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I've been enjoying this as well- it seems like the only way to get a truly well built, intelligently laid out RV is to build it yourself!

It seems like it. While some of the new small toy hauler trailers more or less meet my design specs, I have yet to see a powered RV that does (and doesn't cost 6 figures).

I enjoy reading this build although I pretty much would do everything different. But my needs are vastly different.

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/24/17 10:14 a.m.

In reply to 4Msfam:

Thanks! I appreciate the input on the heater too.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

That was exactly my thought too, this would be an awesome rally car tow vehicle!!

I cant find what I want for an RV, no one makes a crew cab 4x4 small one. And I probably couldn't afford it anyway. Luckily I am stupid enough to try to do it myself

In reply to Ian F:

I am always open to hear opinions on how to do things different and better!!

On RV's in general, we went to the RV show a couple weeks ago. They are ALL the same, literally. They use the same finishes, same cabinets, same curtains, just a different brand name on them, it was almost scary after a couple hours...

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/24/17 11:00 a.m.

Spent an hour or so trying to figure out why my reverse lights dont work... Fuse is good, swapping relays made no difference. Im getting ~half a volt at the light connections.

So possibly a break in the wire somewhere, which I think is unlikely, all the rest of the wiring has been impeccable, and the tail lights still work, or the reverse switch at the trans is toast.

Other half of the dinette sitting in place

Im thinking heater and water pump will go here, just have to check that I can sneak the intake and exhaust out, its right above the gas tank. I will have to build a riser for the heater to sit on as well, not quite enough room with gas filler box there.

Stove came too, ebay special with dents... But its got a nice flip down glass top for when its not in use.

Pulled the tail light panels. Lots of room there. Need to figure out how to put them on a quick release. Ill take ideas there!! Passenger side will get poop tank, drivers will get gas tank for the heater.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/17 1:19 p.m.

In reply to java230:

Like I said - much different needs. For me, the RV needs to cover the "Four S's":

Sleep
Shower
Sh1t
Storage (for my bicycles)

Plus, it only really needs to handle me and maybe one other person (assuming I ever find a g/f that rides and/or will go with me to races). I'd probably set up some sort of kitchen, but most cooking would be done outside.

So far, I've only seen one RV that gets close. Search "The FitRV" on YouTube. However, I'm pretty sure that couple has a lot more money than I do. Even then, there are things I don't think would work for me - I don't think my DH race bike would fit in the space they have allocated for their bikes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
2/24/17 1:48 p.m.

In reply to java230:

I couldn't find a picture of the installed taillight panel- do they line up in a way that would let one side hinge? Then you could put a "slam latch" opposite the hinge and it becomes a door.

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/24/17 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Tall roof sprinter sounds just about right!

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Probably do able, they bolt on with six bolts to the two vertical white flanges you see. They are recessed from the back a bit, which may make opening more than 80 degrees difficult.

These may work as well....

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/17 6:24 p.m.

I'm no scientist. Is a heater exhaust and intake directly above the truck's fuel filler going to make BOOM?

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RrcuS7PkiXtgxhUExgRnDnANIspTTlOpr9qNrwzKGyeg4UhPfuuVeOm6VNLxCEYq