1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/5/17 6:22 a.m.

That was 100% awesome. The idle coming I out from under that car is so wrong. I love it.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
9/5/17 6:54 a.m.

That wheel spin is ridiculous. The whole thing is ridiculous and you have done a great job putting it together!

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy Reader
9/5/17 6:42 p.m.

Awesome to see this milestone reached!  Let the sorting begin!  

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
9/5/17 7:25 p.m.

Wow, congrats! Glad to see it finally come together! Now I just have to wait for that other guy to get his Lamborghini Jalpa back together...

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/5/17 7:46 p.m.

I love watching the car in the video my wife took, I think it's a sexy looking car with those wheels!

I raised the ride height about a half inch or so, since the tires were rubbing and I couldn't get full lock the way it was.  Seems to turn better now.

SkinnyKid1 helped bleed the brakes - the pedal was super mushy, and the reason why there was unusual wheelspin at the start of the video.  Much better having back brakes that work.

Also in the video, it kinda sounded like rod knock, which bothered me.  I put it up on the hoist today, running, to see if I could confirm.  I ~know~ that engine was smooth and quiet when I pulled it. Turned out the plastic torque converter cover was rubbing.  Gave it a slight trim and it's all quiet now! (an no excuse to build the Vortec 350 for it....).

In a very brief trip down the driveway to check the brakes, the propensity to wheelspin on this car is right out stooooopid.  Clearly, this will take some getting used to.  Or a spool.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
9/6/17 10:25 a.m.

Awesome! Glad to see it moving under it's own power, that has to be a good milestone to start the school year on. 

Since I haven't figured out how to quote (or the feature is currently not functioning) Stock is definitely cheaper than throwing the summit catalog at it, but it takes a bit more work and patience to make happen. Those are the skills that I envy. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/17 10:31 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

In a very brief trip down the driveway to check the brakes, the propensity to wheelspin on this car is right out stooooopid.  Clearly, this will take some getting used to.  Or a spool.

Please explain the problem here, I am not seeing it.  

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/6/17 11:18 a.m.

I agree that those Firebird wheels look oddly correct under that little car. I also love how your mind is telling you the whole time youre watching that first-drive clip that the sounds and the car do not match each other. The idle as youre pulling back past the camera into the garage is priceless.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/6/17 11:26 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

Clearly, this will take some getting used to.  Or a spool.

Right, because it's not already enough of a go-kart. LOL

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/6/17 7:14 p.m.
pinchvalve said:
SkinnyG said:

Please explain the problem here, I am not seeing it.  

Oh, it's no problem at all.  I'm not even complaining.  It's just an apt descriptor.  I need a licence plate frame that says "My other car is right out stooooopid too."

84FSP
84FSP Dork
9/6/17 8:07 p.m.

Fantastic and love the slick garage floor wheelspin.  It has the sound of something that wants to kill you.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/9/17 12:40 a.m.

Painted the remaining tubes of the roll bar, and picked up some floor mats from Home Depot for carpet. Going to get plates on it tomorrow.

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/9/17 9:17 a.m.

That's coming together so nicely. Can't wait to see more driving videos! 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/9/17 3:50 p.m.

Took the insurance off The Lethal Locost and put it on the Firefly today.  Good times will ensue.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/9/17 5:27 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

Took the insurance off The Lethal Locost and put it on the Firefly today.  Good times will ensue.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/9/17 5:33 p.m.

Skinny you should detail your insurance ordeal for those readers for whom this would entail a quest of epic proportions.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/9/17 7:37 p.m.

Insurance Ordeal:

Me: "Hi! I'd like to insure my 1987 Pontiac Firefly, please."

Them: "OK.  Driver's licence please.  Initial here.... sign here.... sign here.... initial here.... There you go - thank you for your patience!"

Me: "Thank you so much!"

In other news - it seems I did not leave enough room to actually reinstall the seat belt retracters, so I am fabricating a bracket to come off the roll bar. The beer-can metal is pretty spindly on this car.

Got the carpet mostly sorted out, but I'm going to need another mat.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/9/17 11:26 p.m.

Seat belt retracter tabs welded on.  Primed. Painted. Good times.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/10/17 3:43 p.m.

Next hurdle inspection time....gotta be someone somewhere that'll bless this way Stoooooopid mess. The 'Fly' needs to be enjoyed by the masses.....great job!!!!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/10/17 7:16 p.m.

As far as anyone knows, this is a 1987 Pontiac Firefly.  No inspection "officially" required.

Where that becomes a problem is a) a cop orders an inspection or b) I am involved in a collision.

Best case with a collision: I get "fair market value" for the car.  Maybe $200.  Worst case: insurance walks away from me.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/10/17 7:30 p.m.

Would said cop order an inspection upon hearing a v8 rumble emanating from a normally anemic 4cyl? Or would it be the case of you not noticing said cop as you roar off into hyper space?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/11/17 12:02 a.m.

I like to live by the philosophy of "don't give them a reason to pull you over."

In other news: I got the front carpet done, installed the driver's seat, and discovered I need to relocate the inboard seat belt buckle (receiver?).  It is too far back, and with the tunnel in the way it makes the belt ride on your gut not your hip bones, so that has to move. Tomorrow. 

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
9/11/17 1:38 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Would said cop order an inspection upon hearing a v8 rumble emanating from a normally anemic 4cyl? Or would it be the case of you not noticing said cop as you roar off into hyper space?

Eh, depends on how much of a car guy the cop is. There are 4 cylinder Hondas with louder exhausts than a lot of V8's...

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
9/11/17 2:43 a.m.

Congratulations on the maiden voyage.  yes

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/12/17 12:26 a.m.

Moved the inboard seat belt mounting holes.  Primer is drying; colour tomorrow.  Will need to remake a section of the carpet, but I have offcuts I can use.

Anxious to get testing - but feel good seat belts are important.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ikRlIqQnOx7IhQWIbGwhX1O1WTBUA8EsNqEWLxINMqnvSWmRsA65XI03RGCZH4B