NOHOME MegaDork
8/2/19 8:07 a.m.

What worked?

Pete

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

It's hard to believe that much dirt remains on this frame after all the work I've done to it!

AxeHealey
8/2/19 8:17 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

1. Cut off bolt "head" on the front mount
  2. Separate previously welded on washer
  3. Dispense heat into arm at bush
  4. Smack threaded rod with extension with hammer onto bolt/pin
  5. POR15
  6. Rinse repeat until out
  7. Dispense heat into rear arm at bush
  8. Stick threaded rod through front arm, through access hole in shock mount and up against rear bolt/pin
  9. Smack threaded rod with hammer
  10. POR15
  11. Rinse repeat until out
  12. Move the the passenger side and start over. 

The rear mount on the passenger side was the most difficult one and took a lot of rinsing and repeating but alas, it was overcome. In reality, there were also some other steps with a pickle fork separating the bush from the arm in a couple instances but they gave up easy.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/2/19 9:16 a.m.

POR 15?

Ain't that a rust paint?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In other words, lots of brute force and ignorance applied in the right vectors, makes this easy. Good news is that for once re-assembly WONT be the reverse of disassembly.

Pete

AxeHealey
8/2/19 11:29 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

POR 15?

Ain't that a rust paint?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hah! Whoops. PB Blaster.

AxeHealey
8/5/19 8:11 p.m.

On Saturday I went out to a friends to grab my load leveler and his hoist to be able to yank the engine out of the Healey at some point. I got to the shop and couldn't think of a good reason to not yank it right then and there!

That's a lot of weight to be dangling at eye level. Then I moved it back to the middle.

I got an email from the painter this morning...

We'll be heading out there first thing Thursday morning to give him the go ahead to lay the color down! I've got just a little more final welding to do on the frame and then it's paint for me too. Should be pretty good timing! I've got to remember to send out the shocks and calipers to be rebuilt this week. E36 M3s getting real.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/5/19 8:55 p.m.

No paint jail for you. Your guy is on a mission. 

You doing engine work or just painting the bay?

Pete

AxeHealey
8/6/19 3:34 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'll do at least a valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket but no real work right now. It'll all get painted Healey green too.

AxeHealey
8/9/19 8:08 a.m.

Put eyes on the panels yesterday morning and I'm extremely happy with how they are coming along. They were all (except for the passenger door) in their first coat of primer and will be sanded and re-primed twice more. The passenger door was a problem as was expected but they were able to stiffen the skin up enough to do their work. 

We're having some difficulty tracking down a reliable paint code for the color I want as it's a 60's color that seems to have only been PTS in recent years. My painter says he's hoping to get everything done next week but I'm expecting the week after.

Last night I was able to spend a few hours and knocked out some more cleanup welding, added in the rear-most a-arm supports and chopped the upper crossmember to notch it. Apparently some balancers on race engines are bigger than stock and I'll need this space.

AxeHealey
8/10/19 9:31 p.m.

Coming spring 2020.

AxeHealey
8/11/19 8:24 p.m.

Much progress today. First the upper crossmember brought to you by CAD.

Next came the forward a-arm mount support. Also presented by CAD.

I was proud of the driver's side.

Same guy...

Final patches were on the passenger side wheel well where there are rubber buffers to keep the fender from rattling.

Not pictured are a number of stitch welds added to the passenger sill and a number of pinholes I found going over old work. On to prepping the frame for paint!

AxeHealey
8/13/19 7:27 a.m.

No pics but last night was dirty. Almost three hours of scraping, wire wheeling, and vacuuming. Whenever I can get over there next (maybe like 4AM tomorrow) it'll be tack cloth, acetone, POR15.

My legitimate goal for finishing this is my dad's birthday in the third week of October. Plenty of time you may say but we have 4 weddings to go to between now and then, three of them in the first three weekends of October. Oh yeah and I have a rallycross to run... Oh yeah and... I'm losing sleep.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/19 11:02 a.m.

I’m in a time crunch of my own but if you need help wielding the body panels back on let me know and i will see what i can do.  I’m starting a kitchen up by euclid in a couple weeks so there’s a chance i could stop by afterwards instead of sitting in rush hour traffic 

AxeHealey
8/13/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Thanks man, much appreciated.

AxeHealey
8/15/19 7:22 a.m.

Ooooooooook. I wasn't quite done with welding. One job I completely forgot about and the other I was going to do with rivets and decided this morning that was stupid. 

The way all of the trunk panels go together is very strange. Along the rear shroud/bumper support, the tabs had to be bent into place and the left over tabs hammered over.

Then on the top side, the boxes that go over the leaf spring mounts have openings that are way too big so I had to fill them in.

So, you know, now I'm done welding. I've gotten a nice piece of plastic underneath it and it'll probably be another 4AM trip to the shop tomorrow to start painting as I won't have time to work on it again until Sunday afternoon. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/15/19 7:32 a.m.

I love the pace this is moving at. 

Are the panels coming back in final paint or are you going to hang them and then do final paint?

What is your plan for painting the sub-chassis in the shop? 

Pete

AxeHealey
8/15/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'm really trying to keep up the momentum.

Yes - all of the panels will be in final paint and wrapped very, very carefully to bring back to the shop.

The POR-15 will go on with brushes, then seam sealer (should be here early next week), then spray the final color from rattle cans. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 8:28 a.m.

i heart big healeys.  nice work bringing this one back!

AxeHealey
8/15/19 8:54 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

i heart big healeys.  nice work bringing this one back!

Thanks!

On a separate note, someone needs to help me remember that there is no dashpot oil in the carbs right now...

AxeHealey
8/16/19 8:10 a.m.

My wife surprised me with a concert last night so I was dragging a bit when my 4:15 alarm went off this morning. I didn't get to the shop until 5:10 and it's about 5 minutes away at that time a day... Anyways, I tack clothed and acetoned the wheel wells, front suspension mounts and most of the engine bay and then got about an hour of painting in before I had to be back home. That leaves me with this.

It doesn't seem like much to show for an hours work but there are a ton of nooks and crannies in and around the front suspension points. Since large swaths of the frame will go quickly, I'm going to say it'll take me 5 more hours of painting time to finish the POR. I'm actually thinking about rolling it on  but it's so thin I feel like it'll make a crazy mess. Actually, as I'm typing this and looking at the pictures, a foam roller is probably the right move for the frame rails, interior and all the other flat bits.

My original idea was to have the frame be black and this isn't helping my decision to paint it grey. I think it looks so great in gloss black. I'm still intending to paint the interior and inside of the trunk grey as it'll will compliment the exterior color really well but I'm really digging the black. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/16/19 10:27 a.m.

Did you consider the "Preval" spary cans? There is a thinner for POR. Pretty sure it is naphtha.

Pete

AxeHealey
8/16/19 2:08 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Hm. No. I had no idea something like that exists.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/16/19 6:48 p.m.

I have thinned POR with naptha. It doesn't take much to make it spray well through an old spray gun. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/19 7:42 a.m.

I've not used POR 15 before at all.  What's it like when it's cured?  Is it hard or more soft and pliable?  Does it tend to ding off or anything?

Work looks great.  I've been enjoying following your progress. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 7:56 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

I've not used POR 15 before at all.  What's it like when it's cured?  Is it hard or more soft and pliable?  Does it tend to ding off or anything?

Work looks great.  I've been enjoying following your progress. 

In my experience you can whack it with a hammer and it doesn’t chip.  It’s very hard when cured

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aanq0bN1SbFriwCDjhQy040yfVmBkeu2Vjz2TB6CqLdTGhOTlMtvsW3hN7uvyjdM