1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/23/19 3:50 p.m.

Surgery! So happy to get it done so the bones stop moving. Little more complicated than they thought. When they cut me open they found 4-5 little pieces which were too small to attach with screws. The doctor said they ground them up with some bone graft material and made spackle for the cracks. That's metal. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/23/19 5:22 p.m.

So with your extra time now, it seems like the perfect opportunity to get that 250 put together!

Heal up.

Adam

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/23/19 5:59 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

The doctor said they ground them up with some bone graft material and made spackle for the cracks. That's metal. 

Actually I think that's composite.

I'm so sorry. I won't do it again, at least not in this thread.

Nice work on the badass remount, re-donning of the leathers, and follow-through to the whole of Team Deuce. You guys are made of sterner stuff than most. Hope you heal up well and fast!

mazdeuce - Seth
10/23/19 6:40 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Box of parts came yesterday and I Mrs. Deuce did not share my  joy pawing through them with one paw. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
10/23/19 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I'm going to ask the doctor about it at the follow up. I didn't even know they did that and I think it's neat. 

My teammate was tough as nails to take the bike from me and head out into the downpour. Throwing a bucket of Cobras on me would have been less scary than the water hitting my face shield. He dropped the bike before making a single lap, broke the exhaust mount, bent the rear brake lever and continued to circulate for half an hour like that because he knew we'd almost certainly lose our position if he came in. I was in awe. I like our team a lot.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
10/23/19 7:05 p.m.

Seth - Have Mrs. Deuce go to your local health store and get some arnica montana - it'll speed up your healing by about a factor of 3X and give your bones a jump on knitting together. I always keep a small bottle of it in my toolbox. ....smiley

Nader
Nader New Reader
10/23/19 8:25 p.m.
Pushrod said:

Seth - Have Mrs. Deuce go to your local health store and get some arnica montana - it'll speed up your healing by about a factor of 3X and give your bones a jump on knitting together. I always keep a small bottle of it in my toolbox. ....smiley

Found the naturopath.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/19 7:31 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah, ground up bone is terrific for knitting breaks back together.   A while back I did some engineering work for a surgical tools and implants company.  One of the projects was designing a better bone-graft harvesting kit.  We basically built a small round tube with a saw blade cut into the end, and the surgeon could drill plugs out of the patient's pelvis.  These were getting used in spinal fusions, but the basic idea works anywhere.

We tested on cow and pig spines.  My garage smelled weird for weeks.

Once they have to bone harvested, they break up the material and mix it with some of the patient's blood.  Makes a rough paste, and once applied it grows like crazy.  There are other options for graft materials - synthetics, natural material from cadavers, etc - but the natural stuff from your own body is the hot ticket.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/19 9:49 a.m.

That's nutty and awesome. Reminds me of the guy in FL who figured out that breaking up coral into little bitty pieces made it grow faster.

Nature! Science!

mazdeuce - Seth
10/24/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

That's amazing. SCIENCE! Here's to hoping that everything grows back strong. In the mean time I'm researching airbag suits/vests. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/24/19 1:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

That's amazing. SCIENCE! Here's to hoping that everything grows back strong. In the mean time I'm researching airbag suits/vests. 

Those will be a solid investment. Heal up quick!

mazdeuce - Seth
11/1/19 1:03 p.m.

Lots going on. Kid#3 came out the the other local kart track this past weekend to test. This is the track that we're running at tomorrow. She had fun and bummed a ride on a faster bike. She's hooked on speed now. Awesome. My buddy did me a HUGE favor and safety wired the XR70. I built a catch can. Things are looking good. Brave Squirrel Racing is ready to hit the track. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/2/19 7:52 p.m.

Race day! 

First off, a huge thanks to team mate Derek. I can't even load the bikes in the truck right now. He grabbed the 70 the other day, safety wired it, borrowed my truck, loaded the bikes for the race and got everything there. He saved the day. Also thanks to Mrs. Deuce. Her support for this nonsense can't be overstated.  

Today was cold. High 40's when we got there and mid 50's when practice started. We had to get there early so kid#3 could take race school. They weren't going to do a school this weekend (last race of the season) but they did one just for her. Great group. She passed and went out for practice. First lap on a track she rode last weekend and..... down she goes. It was cold and slippery and horrible. She popped right back up and one of the other dad's helped her kick the bike over when she had trouble getting it to fire. She stayed out and circulated for about 25 more minutes before.....down again. This time she pinched her thumb with the handlebar when she hit and it hurt. She came in and was upset. She made the Jr. High basketball team two days ago. She's excited for the season. And now her thumb hurt. Some ice, some time and I told her that racing today wasn't necessary. This is for fun. We talked some more and she settled on going out for two laps at the end of practice to see how she felt. She felt good and decided to race. Here she is lined up. 

She was tentative. I'm not sure she thought it was fun. Air temps were up to about 60 and the track was better, but not grippy at all. The good thing was her first two races were back to back. She finished the first and told me she wanted to go back out for the second. That's where she had fun. There was another young rider in her class that would put about 40 yards on her on the straight (Yamaha 110, much more power) but through the twisties she'd reel him in until she was poking her front wheel inside of him the last few corners before the straight. She never did pass him, but she had a blast. 

Incredibly supportive community. The kid standing next to her walked up before she went out for her third race and gave her advice on starts and what he had learned riding a 50 similar to hers a couple years before. Great advice and her start was better. 

At the end of the day she did four races and got three trophies. She didn't actually finish in front of anyone, but she had two races that were great battles for 2nd/3rd even if she did come out on the wrong end. Derek got one trophy. His day was mediocre. The Grom was on the hard tires from the 6hr race and was almost unrideable in the cold. The KX65 was on softs and that worked, kind of. At the end of the day he didn't fall down and as he thought about it, this is the first race day where he hasn't fallen down. He was happy. 

And just like that the season is over. The schedule for next year isn't out yet but we've got about four months until the green drops again. We have two people with broken bones that are healing, Kid#3 needs more power (new bike?), we have endurance upgrades to do on the Grom and all of the bikes need a checking over. There is chatter about a trailer for races as we'll be bringing 4-7 bikes for full race weekends. The motorcycle racing thing is kind of awesome. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/2/19 7:58 p.m.

Even with the ups and downs, you guys are making that look like an awful lot of fun. You must be doing something right.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/2/19 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I can't overstate how friendly this community has been. Not only did they do a half hour race school just for kid#3, just so she could race today, but she ended up racing four raced when she signed up for three. There's something like 20 classes. All of the performance categories that separate the bikes, but also a kids race, a girls race, a dinosaur race for old and heavy riders, a backwards race where they run the track backwards and at the end of the day a LeMans start race with bikes off. Kid#3 was origionally going to sign up for ladies and supersport (which is where her bike classes). When signing up the told her to also sign up for the kids class even though she's just a bit old for it. And then, later one, they were getting ready to go out for the Jr. Motard class (which we had completely missed as an option) and they starter yelled for her to get her leathers on and come out. They held the start for almost five minutes while she got ready. It was awesome. 

There are racers from 9 to 58 out there on track. They want safe fun racing. They want everyone to race and race as much as possible. People loan bikes and help with setup and show everyone lines. Racing at the pointy end is fast a clean and a joy to watch with some real talent. The vibe is a cross between a really good kids soccer league and rallycross. My wife had fun. If anyone is in the Houston or Dallas area, I'd love to introduce you to the community and the sport. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/4/19 9:26 a.m.

There is a super cool guy who supports the racing (I think he builds motors?) but also comes out and takes great pictures, and since threads are better with pictures......

From the endurance race, before I fell off. 15 years of autocross and I can finally look ahead most of the time. 

But I'm old and lame and pictures of me are too. Pictures of kid#3 are much cooler. 

And here she is just about to finish closing the gap on the bike in front of her only to have him roar away on the main straight. You can see in her eyes how bad she wanted by him. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
11/4/19 10:26 a.m.

Cool stories.  I get the impression it's like an autocross community in that if you're going to take 'parking lot racing' ('miniature motorcycle racing') seriously, you need to be able to laugh at yourself a little.  Much better vibe than I've found at local kart/oval tracks where it's much more serious business, grudges, secrets, cheating, etc.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/4/19 3:30 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

That's a pretty accurate description. One of the fastest guys was wearing a cow suit over his leathers during practice and the nine year old kept trying to get his trophies on his bike but the guy handing them out put them on the ground to make him get off. It was funny. The daughter of one of the ladies that runs it asked if she could get a shirt with the squirrel on it because her mom calls her squirrel. Three races in and I'm already comfortable. 

Good news everyone! Doctor said my collarbone is healing better than he expected. I'm out of the sling. Full range of motion is allowed but no pushing movements with any resistance (so no motorcycles or bicycles) and nothing heavier than a coffee cup as a general rule. But the good news is that I can move again and do light wrenching and start on mudding the drywall in the living room. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/16/19 9:36 a.m.

After some chatting we came up with a plan for kid#3 going into next season. She likes the chassis and the confidence but needs more motor and to learn riding a bike with a clutch so that she's ready when the time comes. Step 1, out with the old. 

This is the new motor. Not a ton of selection to stay in the 110cc and under class. This should be close to 6hp and has a four speed manual clutch. 

It's in and riding around the yard. Needs some carb work and bits and pieces like all motor swaps. More as we it sorted and on track. It's certainly faster. 

The 100 is my playground for learning about motorcycle electricity. Here is the stock stator next to the new one. 

The magnets are in the flywheel. Word is that stator is short for stationary generator. I just learned that. 

The stock stator is naked because all you need to run the ignition is one pole being wound. The new stator has the rest of the poles wound to provide power for the lighting circuit. Ignition is still powered by that one pole. And it works!

The most fascinating thing is that this is AC power and this is how it's supposed to work. As long as the wattage is in range incandescent bulbs are fine running off AC. Learning is fun 

TJL
TJL HalfDork
11/16/19 9:52 a.m.

lots of fun things to learn about small motors and their tricks. My old riding mower had a relatively weak small stator like that, it also didnt have a rectifier or regulator(that i ever saw), and only powered the headlights. No other 12v dc accessories. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 HalfDork
11/18/19 8:44 a.m.

So Honda 100cc engine replaced with SSR 110cc engine? Or...that doesn't make sense because the xr100 is clutched so they must've been an xr70/80 that now has a ssr110cc in it?

sounds like the swap was pretty easy overall? My brother In law has a non running xr70. This might be the easy button solution. And more power is always better. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
11/18/19 10:25 a.m.

Looks like you nailed it!

I would bet that one coil on the old stator was enough to run the ignition.

You may have noticed while working on it, but the voltage should vary some with engine rpm. Increase RPMs and the voltage should increase.  Probably not enough voltage fluctuation for an incandescent bulb to care.

LEDs are pickier.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/18/19 12:45 p.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

So Honda 100cc engine replaced with SSR 110cc engine? Or...that doesn't make sense because the xr100 is clutched so they must've been an xr70/80 that now has a ssr110cc in it?

sounds like the swap was pretty easy overall? My brother In law has a non running xr70. This might be the easy button solution. And more power is always better. 

Yes, the 70 now has the 110. On paper she should be able to keep up with me on the XR100 once we get new rims laced up that will let her run proper rubber. Either way she'll be able to closer which will mean more following which will mean more learning. We're both excited for me to heal and to have the world warm up a bit so we can get back to the track. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/18/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

Yes, I'm learing a lot. Doing a bunch of load testing with incandescent bubs. Interestingly the stator will light up a 55w bulb bright enough to blind you by itself, but when run through the rectifier it's super dim. Efficiency? Not sure. It seems to run the LED's that have around just fine so I ordered a LED headlight bulb that is supposed to be a bit less than 6W but put out light of a 35W equivalent. That should be enough light for what I'm doing. It may also be that un-grounding the other leg of the lighting coils may free up power instead of having everything ground to the chassis. Lots of wires and connectors and cripming and measuring going on out in the Grosh. Having fun with it. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/26/19 9:40 a.m.

I keep buying motorcycles. I might have a problem. New victim, same as the old victim. 2001 XR100. I love these things. 

Just a few sketchy issues to address. Seat cover has a small tear, a couple of bolts are wonky, luckily none on the motor. Runs like a top. These are hard to kill. 

The real super exciting part is this. 

Yes, it says off road only, but it turns out that insurance and a valid inspection will let Texas re-issue the title with that little part gone. Time to ride a crappy dirt bike on the road, legally, just because. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lq3UQsgYM7prDPZua4WTj6G3xPqpH6VzrS8l728mWOT5pzGWVFVAEuRId1ywTShK