1 2
keithrjackson
keithrjackson New Reader
12/5/17 2:15 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/5/17 2:17 p.m.

Duuuuuuuuuuuude......... we need to know more. Lots more. 

keithrjackson
keithrjackson New Reader
12/5/17 2:23 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

There is a video in the oppositelock link.

But the short of it is:

Originally built for on-site mechanical support for FEMA disaster relief vehicles, based in Cali.

Dodge 360, TBI with 3 sp torqueflight.

7000w onboard Onan Genset!

Shop use air compressor.

20 ton press.

Two full size tool chests as pictured.

I lost my garage when I purchased a new house, this is pretty much replacing it.

Expect to see this and me at the $2018 Challenge!

wae
wae Dork
12/5/17 2:39 p.m.

It needs moar A-Team stripe.

That is incredibly awesome!  It looked like the rear stairs would interfere with the trailer hitch -- was that just a depth perception issue there?  

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/5/17 2:40 p.m.

Unberkin believable!!!!!!Tools included too???? 

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
12/5/17 3:16 p.m.

Ooooohh. Wow, awesome.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/5/17 4:40 p.m.

its... magical

tedroach
tedroach New Reader
12/5/17 4:51 p.m.

I am in love....with that truck.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/5/17 7:36 p.m.

my head just exploded

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/5/17 9:29 p.m.
keithrjackson said:

There is a video in the oppositelock link.

Originally built for on-site mechanical support for FEMA disaster relief vehicles,

Expect to see this and me at the $2018 Challenge!

At The Challenge there is often quite a bit of diaster that could benift from this type of relief. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/5/17 9:48 p.m.

Just added "tool crib truck" to my regular CL search.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/17 10:13 p.m.

Wow, just wow. Good score!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
12/5/17 11:05 p.m.

Oh, my. That is the business. 

keithrjackson
keithrjackson New Reader
12/6/17 7:51 a.m.

What you want to search for is "service truck," there are some others out there.

Ironically I think it is TOO well outfitted for my needs! lol!

I think the older of the two tool chests will end up in my basement work area. And POSSIBLY the press. While damn it would be great to have trackside, I just don't know...I could set up some seating on that side if I take out those two things.

It has a built in part washer for crying out loud.

I used it extensively for the first time this weekend. It's glorious. Turn on the generator, turn on the compressor, wait for it to come up to pressure, turn on the music (it has a home stereo amp, two bookshelf speakers and I added a powered sub because...HOUSE CURRENT BABY!) and get to work.

Insurance was a massive $860/yr, lol. I love being 50.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/6/17 8:55 a.m.
keithrjackson said:

What you want to search for is "service truck," there are some others out there.

If you search for "service" you get trucks, vans, trailers, beds taken off trucks, and a whole lot of crap.
You're kind of an a-hole for teaching us about this.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
12/6/17 10:51 a.m.

Don't forget "box van". 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
12/6/17 11:50 a.m.

so you left out lots of important details and you didn't mention the most important thing...how did you score it for less than half of asking?

are tools in the toolboxes?

how long was it for sale?

from California?

where was it listed?

you just reiterated what the vid covered...we need details about everything that WASN'T in the vid

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/6/17 11:56 a.m.

Yeah, I need details man!!

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
12/6/17 12:12 p.m.

First picture...Dude really, it's an old RV????

Second picture...Whoa that is AWESOME!!!!!

keithrjackson
keithrjackson New Reader
12/6/17 1:04 p.m.

My pleasure, I am here to help.

BTW, I am the guy who wrote this article on OppositeLock:

The Tale of the $57K engine repair bill.

2_3
2_3 New Reader
12/6/17 1:12 p.m.

I'm so jealous! I think that maybe I could buy the tools with that money over here, but not a fully equipped truck

This is awesome

Can we expect future posts about wrenching on the road or next to the track? Is this thing legal for drag week?

keithrjackson
keithrjackson New Reader
12/6/17 1:39 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy :

No tools, but I have plenty.

I live in Maryland. It was for sale for at least four months, I saw it at the beginning of September for $12k, but there are ads up for $15,500 floating around. I passed at $12k. He came back at $9k in October, but I was still on the fence. He called me early November and said and it was mine for $7000. Could not say no.

California...if it were out in Cali right now it would be being used for what it was built for. To support the vehicles fighting wildfires. It is actually built to contractor specifications apparently. The guy who used it for its intended purpose said it was a MINIMUM $1200 a day gig with at least a two week assignment. The more they liked you, the better your daily pay and length of assignment.

It was decommissioned ten or so years ago, used by an A/C installation company for a while, then the guy I got it from used it for his mobile car fleet repair business. It was just too big for his uses as he needs to get into parking garages to get to vehicles.

One of the things you can't see really well is the BUILT IN WELDING TABLE with a spray hose for quenching.

Everything that is not new is TOP quality. The bench grinder retails for $400+ new.

The cabinets on the left in the photos are metal and welded to a frame. The cabinets on the right are attached to a 1" square steel frame and the cabinets are bolted to the frame. Sturdy and easy to remove/move.

Since it has a generator and the according HUGE battery, the florescent lights that are lit in the photos run independent of both the truck's electrical and the generator, which is nice when I just need to access tools, as I don't have to turn on the generator.

Once the generator kicks in I got 7000w of house power on three 20A fuses. Grounded and fused house outlets throughout.

Brakes have been rebuilt but I may put in a new master cylinder. The car is based on 1992 Dodge D250 truck so parts are cheap. The TBI has a warm stall issue that I am tracking down. Power steering pump appears to be leaking and slipping. A new pump and slightly shorter belt are the order of the day here. But it is a Mopar 5.9 and Torqueflight...it will last forever.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
12/6/17 1:52 p.m.

thanks for the details.

can't believe it sat for sale so long.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/17 2:23 p.m.
akylekoz said:

First picture...Dude really, it's an old RV????

Second picture...Whoa that is AWESOME!!!!!

THIS!

"That is NOT what I was expecting the inside to look like!"

keithrjackson
keithrjackson New Reader
12/6/17 2:32 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy :

Yeah, I think I MAY have been able to get it for less. He said he had an offer for $7k but I got at him first. But I think he was just trying to not take $6500. But at that point if I would have lost it over $500 I probably would have jumped out of a window!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4XrAyLseIsTFsJZqd7sfK6L0YpVCRrsqaJUFqqQrrEMDnBFUtkE49zTN5iuEOlGa