1 2
stroker
stroker Dork
8/11/12 10:39 a.m.

Another magazine that rhymes with "Hop Mod" has an article this month on "antique" 4-cylinder engines that might be a source of inspiration on a project like this. I haven't read it yet.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/11/12 10:47 a.m.
stroker wrote: Another magazine that rhymes with "Hop Mod" has an article this month on "antique" 4-cylinder engines that might be a source of inspiration on a project like this. I haven't read it yet.

There are no other magazines....

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
8/17/12 5:43 a.m.

Great project.

Not sure if everyone has seen this, but Northwest Vintage Speedsters looks like a great club.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
8/17/12 9:39 a.m.

I have that issue. It's the first good thing I've seen in Hot Rod for a while.

I'd like to get to Speedy Bill's musem one day but I doubt it will happen.

Rajo, one of the companies that made OHV conversions for the model A 4-bangers also made a cylinder head for the Chevy six.

They added a second intake manifold which fit on a 45 degree angle above the original intake ports. A single carburetor went on this second manifold and a twin-carb manfiold bolted on in place of the stock manifold.

The setup was progressive, the engine ran on the single carb until about 50% throttle, then the two carbs on the second manfiold opened.

Weird.

Wayne and Horning both made 12-port cylinder heads for the chevy six but the price of them is insane.

Shawn

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
8/20/12 11:11 p.m.

Ok, here's the first step for the engine mount brackets.

I like to use cereal boxes for template cardboard. It's easy to work with.

A circle template helps to lay out nice smooth corners:

First, I'm going to cut a piece that will go from the motor mount bolt down to the frame at an angle and then extend to the bottom of the frame on the inside.

These will be bolted down from the top and through the side with threaded rivets, they are bolts with a domed head, from the side they will look like rivets.

Here's the first piece:

There will be a tube welded to the top of the plate for the mount bolt to pass through, I will add a flat plate which sits on the top of the frame and a gussett on both sides to help take the load.

Here you can see the outer side of the bracket with the gusset and plate taped on. I've tapered and rounded the bracket end to help with the cast look:

Here is the inner side with the gussett added:

Now that we have a cardboard bracket made and we know it fits, simply cut the tape with a razor blade and you have all the patterns to cut out the plates to build the bracket.

Now I need to make one for the other side.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
8/20/12 11:14 p.m.

Here's the wheel and tire package. One of my co-workers decided to go a different route on his '32 Ford so I bought his wheel and tire package.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/12 7:09 p.m.

This is the best thing on GRM right now.

You don't look like you need any help, but I have a couple of old magazine articles (plans actually) from the 30's about building Ford and Chevy Speedsters. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/11/13 7:39 p.m.

Updates, please.....this is an awesome build. I want to know what's happening.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
6/12/13 12:47 p.m.

dig

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
6/12/13 12:48 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: There are no other magazines....

+1 ! !

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
6/12/13 3:44 p.m.

There is similar build in my future and I am happy to live vicariously thru this build.

Aka...It Awesome!!!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/15/13 2:29 p.m.

I hope it's finished and he is too busy driving it to post...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
6/15/13 11:05 p.m.

Nope, it's dead to the world at the moment.

Life got in the way and I need a break.

Shawn

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/13 11:18 a.m.

Sorry to hear that. But sometimes life has a way of doing that...

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/16/13 12:34 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Nope, it's dead to the world at the moment. Life got in the way and I need a break. Shawn

That's the key phrase. Delays are unavoidable, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rj6P2BoUkeb9gD7pdHFVJIy4OJk68MUVxJ0RQpQdCD9INtYXU7lj18JNTHVkYv62