1 2 3 ... 12
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/17 7:20 p.m.

Don't know why I didn't start a build thread on her other than I thought maybe it was outside the normal GRM interest. So this journey started over a year ago, let me catch you up.

In December of 2015 I decided that I wanted to build a fun serious off road vehicle. I've been using my 99 Z71 but I wanted to go big or go home. I've always had a thing for the GM400 Blazer/Tahoe/Yukon. Found one on CL for $1100. Took Chris to look at it and on the test drive it's a POE36 M3 cutting out and electrical stuff turning off and on. Chris tells me that I better not buy it so when the seller begs me to just make an offer I buy it for $500.

Turns out there isn't a body ground from the battery. Score one for Stampie. So now the search for parts is on. I'm wanting to SAS the front with a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt full floater rear. At this point I'm thinking SM465 manual trans backed by a NP205 transfer case. I did say go big or go home right?

In the back of my mind I remember the customer that had the rusty 1978 K10 sitting out front. Running but beat to hell and holes everywhere. Chris and I head over and a quick check confirms a SM465 and a NP205. $500 later the guys wife is happy as hell as I drive it off. Unfortunately it has 10 bolt axles front and rear.

I've already made a deal at this point with Pat for a couple of 14 bolt full floater rears so I've got that covered. Now the search for the unicorn Dana 60 passenger drop at cheap bastard's price level.

I search and search. I'm hitting CL in a five state radius. Best I can find is a junkyard that'll only sell a matching front Dana 60 and rear 14 bolt FF for $2500.

And then there she was. Driving down a road I know I've been down many times I notice this sitting behind a house.

That's as close as I got. I'm a very private person and I wouldn't want someone walking up in my yard so I take the picture and leave a note on the door. I blew up the picture and think I see 14 bolt FF. I figure crew cab long bed with that and I'm looking at a one ton. Question is it a 4x4 for the Dana 60 front axle?

Guy texts me two days later and says he's willing to sell ... To be continued ...

Stampie
2/20/17 5:55 p.m.

Asa and I head out after work that Monday to go see her. Very nice guy. Says he bought her at a military surplus auction and drove for a couple of years before it had starter problems. Said he couldn't get a good starter that would last. If I only knew what now what I knew then.

Walking up I see that indeed it's a 14 bolt FF rear axle. He says something about being real clean rust wise. I use that as an excuse to look for "rust" under the front end. I see a beautiful Dana 60 smiling back at me and say yep no rust here. I knew I had to get her at that point.

He was strong in the force and started out with a what will you offer to me. Any good negotiator knows you never set the opening bid so I got him back with a well I bought a K10 for $500 not long ago but it was running. That got the response I was looking for with a quick he couldn't sell for that cause he thought it was worth $1500. Hell I'm $1000 ahead and haven't counteroffered yet. I got back at $1200 but he's holding out. Finally I say look I've got $1389 in my pocket that's all I can do. He accepts.

Next day the tow truck drops her off in front of the house and I'm the proud owner of a 1988 K30 3+3.

Tomorrow we get her started and other adventures.

PS: Surprised no one has pointed out that they didn't make K30s in 1988. She's actually a V30. Bonus points for the first to tell why.

GillesDecourse
GillesDecourse New Reader
2/20/17 6:20 p.m.

Wow I love those trucks! Keep the updates coming! As for it being a k30, could it be because it was a military truck?

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/17 6:23 p.m.

Looks bad ass! Mud event at the Challenge? ;)

EastCoastKrawler
EastCoastKrawler New Reader
2/20/17 7:14 p.m.

The new body style on 1988 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons got the C/K nomenclature, the bigger 73-87 old style trucks and Suburbans were renamed the R (2wd) and V (4x4) séries until 1991. And this, gentlemen, is my first post here on grm! Nice to be here!

Stampie
2/20/17 7:22 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastKrawler:

Kick ass first post as you are the winner of a chicken dinner. GM also over lapped body styles in the change from the GMT400 to the GMT800. Everytime I go into a parts store for my 99 if they ask 5.7 engine I know they clicked on the wrong one.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/20/17 7:23 p.m.
EastCoastKrawler wrote: The new body style on 1988 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons got the C/K nomenclature, the bigger 73-87 old style trucks and Suburbans were renamed the R (2wd) and V (4x4) séries until 1991. And this, gentlemen, is my first post here on grm! Nice to be here!

1) Welcome

2) Nobody likes a know-it-all

Stampie
2/20/17 7:28 p.m.

In reply to akamcfly:

Thanks that got me laughing more than I have for a long time.

EastCoastKrawler
EastCoastKrawler New Reader
2/20/17 8:04 p.m.

In reply to akamcfly:

1) Thank-you

2) I couldn't agree with you more

I look forward to Stampie's project, I played with a handful of 80s GM truck projects over 15 years ago, lots of potential !

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/20/17 10:07 p.m.

Love it already.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
2/20/17 10:17 p.m.

Those old crew cabs are great. I think it's the semi-awkward proportions where it's obvious the designers hadn't intended for the trucks to be crew cabs in the first place.

Now they all are, so regular cabs are the ones that look weird.

Excellent negotiation tips from Stampie as well. Learn something new every day.

So you have three trucks lying around for the "serious offroad truck" project? Who's going to end up with the Dana 60?

Just how hole-y is the K10?

Stampie
2/20/17 10:50 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: Just how hole-y is the K10?

Here's the K10 for you. I think the camouflage was more to hide the rust than to make it a hunting truck. Here's the seat mount where a PO decided to change it out. Gives you a good idea of the workmanship on the truck. Upon getting it home I go to get out and discover the driver's door won't open from the inside and the passenger door won't unlock from the inside. Lucky for me Chris followed me home and was able to open the driver's door from the outside. One day while working on it we somehow lost the keys. After searching and not finding them I twist the ignition to find out it's so worn you don't need the keys. Over all such a E36 M3 pile of a truck that it made you fall in love with it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/20/17 10:58 p.m.

Is this the one for the vortec heads?

Stampie
2/20/17 11:04 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Well ... maybe ... y'all are trying to get ahead of the story.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/17 8:29 a.m.
Stampie wrote: </cite

Here's the seat mount where a PO decided to change it out. Gives you a good idea of the workmanship on the truck.

Seriously, I at least use an old socket or a 2X4 for that kind of thing.

Very nice project. You are quite prolific.

Stampie
2/21/17 10:45 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

What I lack in quality I just make up in quantity. Our group of friends tries to work on vehicles every Saturday. Right now we're alternating Saturdays between the K30 and the Challenge Q45. In actually we don't get much done in a Saturday. The normal schedule is hit the donut shop around 9 and get started by 10. Usually knock off for lunch at a good stopping point with plans to continue afterwards but usually don't follow through. Some days we don't accomplish anything productive and some we're amazed at what we got done.

Stampie
2/21/17 5:35 p.m.

Now she's home. I have four Chevy trucks sitting in front of my house. I think that makes me a fan boy. Three of them actually run which is a very high percentage for my normal vehicle collection. I know that I bought the K30 for the axles but she's starting to draw me in and I really can't bring myself to parting out a vehicle without giving it a chance to show me how it runs. As you may have guessed she has the 6.2 diesel engine. I've never had a diesel nor have I worked on one. I figure I have nothing to lose as it's not running at all so I dive in. That begins a several week odyssey and steep learning curve on diesel starters, batteries, and starter bolts. First I get the original starter rebuilt locally. In putting it back in I notice that the two bolts aren't the same. One is metric and the other standard. That should have been my first clue of things to come. That starter soon let's out the magic electronics smoke without actually starting the truck. I finally end up with a brand new lifetime warranty starter and having to bleed every injector of air. Also I replaced two glow plugs that were bad. Just for future reference I don't suggest testing glow plugs by touching them. Works great for finding the bad ones but the working ones are a son of a bitch. One of the highlights of all this is I'm noticing Asa starting to get more into things. Instead of "helping" daddy he's actually helping. I still remember him asking if he could get under the truck as I was replacing another starter. The truck was on all its wheels so I told him it was OK. In the 5 seconds it took him to get under there he managed to get oil all over his face but just beamed me a smile as he laid beside me watching me work. It's coming up on his birthday and I'm getting asked a lot of will it be running in time for his birthday party. I'm trying my hardest but not sure until the evening before his party I finally get success. I see a big cloud of smoke from the exhaust and find that mud in it has splattered all over my work van. Next morning I head to the party driving over the bridge to downtown Jacksonville at 60 mph smooth as can be. Get downtown and hit a pothole. All of a sudden the truck shakes so violently that I think it's going to come apart. I pull over and walk around expecting to see a wheel hanging half way off. Nothing ... everything looks fine so I get back in and drive off. Next hard bump and same thing happens but as I slow down it goes away. I'm having a serious what the berkeley moment so I nurse it to the park where the party is. Asa is with his mom that day so he's happy as hell when he sees the K30 and I take him for a ride around the block. After the party I gently drive her home and start texting my friends. That's how I learn about death wobble. Tomorrow Stampie falls on his ass and maybe berkeleys it all up.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/17 6:36 p.m.

Fyi a k30 4x4 just popped up on Cleveland cl for $700.... axles worth 2x that

Stampie
2/22/17 9:58 p.m.

At this point I have a running and driving K30 but I'm scared to drive it anywhere because of the death wobble. Basic research said that it could be anything on the front end including the tires. Well she came to me with some really bad 31s on wagon wheels. 31s aren't going to cut it on my go big or go home truck. I'm wanting 35s or bigger and figure since they go on the axles it'll just transfer over to the build. I'm a cheap SOB and 35s or bigger don't come cheap. I spend a couple of weeks researching and decide on military take off BF Goodrich MTR 37s from the Hummer H1. That means new wheels as they're for 16.5 wheels. Best I can find at the local off road shops is $1200. One day I'm working downtown and drive through the warehouse district. I pass a warehouse that has stacks and stacks of military take offs sitting around. Go inside and it's like 20,000 square feet of military tires stacked to the ceiling. Turns out this guy supplies all the local shops and he can do a set of four on new D Windows plus a spare on a H1 rim for $1000. Deal made and come back the next day to pick them up. They're in like brand new condition and I'm totally happy with my purchase. Before After Damn she's sexy isn't she? I did have to take a sawzall to her in order to turn the wheel but now the death wobble is even worse. Next on the list is kingpin replacement. Let me just say that kingpin replacement is a PITA. We try everything to break them loose. Finally Chris picks up a 3 foot 3/4 inch breaker bar at Northern Tool. Bets me that it'll work. He starts on the driver's side and with a 5 foot pipe over it finally the kingpin breaks free pretty easily. We finish that side including the washer shim mod and he says that I get the passenger side. I don't know WTF my side was harder but I've got all my fat ass pulling against the pipe and I'm starting to feel his breaker bar bend. I tell him that I'm worried about the breaker bar and he says go for it. I put everything in to it and I hear a loud pop. As I'm literally going heals up in the air in full tumble I know the bar broke. I pick myself off the ground with Chris laughing his ass off to find the breaker bar in one piece. The kingpin finally gave way. At least Chris admits that if he'd done that side first he would have given up and assumed the breaker bar wouldn't work. Test drive and now I'm looking for pot holes all kamikaze style cause the death wobble is gone. In hindsight both bushings were cracked so we probably could have just replaced them but then I wouldn't have the story to tell. Sounds like everything is all roses and free whiskey doesn't it? Well one problem. Every time I start her I can tell the flexplate needs replacing. I knew it when I did the starter but well I was just hoping. What do they say? Hope in one hand and E36 M3 in the other. See what you end up with? I go to start her about a week later and no go. We tow her over to Chris's and that weekend go to replace the flexplate. I get under and as I glace around I see both starter bolts hanging down like 1/8th of an inch. I know I tightened them so we pull the starter and really inspect the threads. Both holes in the block are stripping out. berkeley Only one answer and that's a helicoil on them. I drill them both out no problem and start to tap them. Everything is going well until half way on the first one this falls out. I look up and see that it came off the corner of the block where I was tapping the starter hole. I start to come out and tell Chris that the block was berkeleyed. Tomorrow Stampie puts the K30 to the back of the list of projects and thinks hard about the meaning of an off road life style.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/22/17 10:13 p.m.

Man that's a cool truck. Sorry to hear about the block....I really enjoyed seeing the progress up to this point. I have a rebuild 6.2 long block sitting in storage....too bad we're so far apart because it sounds like either you need my 6.2 or I need your truck!

Stampie
2/22/17 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

8 months ago I would have road tripped for a good 6.2 block but you'll have to wait to see if I came out ahead or not.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/23/17 12:37 a.m.

Looks like you still have a good amount of ear there. Helicoil the good hole and run the proper bolt in it, bolt and nut the other and eyeball the alignment?

Stampie
2/23/17 5:28 a.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

I'll give a hint for the follow up. Before we tried the helicoil I'd already decided it was the last effort to save this engine. I was sick and tired of swapping starters on it. It's not like it was a turbo diesel. It was just a normal 6.2. I knew once the block cracked that it was coming out and something different would be going back in it's place.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/23/17 9:35 a.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to BrokenYugo: I'll give a hint for the follow up. Before we tried the helicoil I'd already decided it was the last effort to save this engine. I was sick and tired of swapping starters on it. It's not like it was a turbo diesel. It was just a normal 6.2. I knew once the block cracked that it was coming out and something different would be going back in it's place.

oh boy....that sounds good. We need more frequent updates!

Stampie
2/23/17 6:22 p.m.

As you may have guessed by now I've kinda fallen in love with the K30 that I bought just for the axles. Part I think is how much effort I've put into her, part is how rare she is, and as I've said before I feel vehicles have souls. Right now her soul is kicking my ass but like the crazy redhead down at the corner bar I keep coming back for more.

My goals for a go big or go home rig were:

Dana 60 and 14 bolt FF axles.
35s or larger.
Ability to seat 4 or more.
Cool.
Short wheelbase for maneuverability.

OK scratch the last one we're going to keep her.

In the meantime I've been selling off the other trucks. I like to post stuff on CL Thursday so the people that can't stand holding onto their Friday paycheck can start dreaming about buying it. One Thursday morning around 9 I put up the Blazer for $800. I always leave my personal phone in my work van but as I go out to get something I hear text messages going off. I reply to the first one and dude begs me to meet him at lunchtime. He pays on the spot with no real questions. That was easy enough.

The K10 isn't as easy. It sits for a week on CL with just a couple of nibbles. One day I get a text from a kid. Says he heard about the K10 from a guy that I met in my wheel/tire search. He comes over and is in love with the truck but doesn't have the cash at the moment. He seems like a good kid so I tell him I'll give him some time and he is true to his word about a week later.

At this point I have some extra money in my pocket but a dead K30 in my driveway. I have a 1970 Cadillac 472 sitting on my front porch that I've been saving for a rainy day project. I also have a switch pitch preBOP 400 trans and a BOP 400 trans laying around. OK I might be a parts hoarder. I get a quote from the local trans shop for bringing in the three trans (don't forget the K30's 400 trans) and transfer case and then handing me back a rebuilt switch pitch BOP 400 with the NP205 attached. Boy this rig is getting expensive. I decide to wait and put her on hold.

A few weeks later it's eating me up so I'm thinking of a way to get her on the road even if it's not a permanent fix. Then it hits me. The kid that bought the K10 offered an engine in trade at one point. I text him and that engine is gone but he has the K10 engine that he's planning on pulling. We agree on $250 and I'm happy. Couple of hours later he text back asking what I'm going to do with the 6.2. Seems he's been thinking and he knows a guy that can fix it. Asks me if I'll trade even. Hmmmmm ... berkeley yeah.

So now I'm trading my broke block 6.2 for a running 350 that came out of a truck I made $300 profit in selling already. Life is strange sometimes.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g4nBPFRBGoC4I6eHuyzfyoKNEN3NvZWAEpKSxHjydtJijM01hrkpXuxbJ4ZJKj2g