1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/17/18 5:33 p.m.

Yes I feel like the answer for a rig like this is always going to be either big block or Cummins. Big block is much less money and work.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/17/18 11:30 p.m.
Patrick said:

I approve of 454 swapping things almost as much as I approve ls swapping things 

454 swapped SW2 ?

solfly
solfly HalfDork
5/18/18 6:06 a.m.

there's probably a different cam that would get you that low end torque back

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/18/18 6:36 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

I'm hoping during the rebuild a better cam got put in. We'll know tomorrow after looking at the paperwork. 

Stampie
5/19/18 2:09 p.m.

Made the deal today. It's an 85 Pace Arrow 37 foot. He thought the paperwork was in it but forgot that it's in his office so I didn't get to look at the rebuild info. Did notice that it has a Banks Power Pack badge and definitely has the headers. Hopefully they'll work on the K30.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/18 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

They sure took a detour to avoid ~90 miles of Alabama on their loop around the country. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/18 4:18 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Stampie :

They sure took a detour to avoid ~90 miles of Alabama on their loop around the country. 

I would too

good luck getting rid of that thing after you pull the guts out.

Stampie
5/26/19 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Got rid of no problem but still haven't pulled the guts.

Last year I was talking to one of my GRM heros and I asked him where he keeps all the cars he buys. He said it was simple, he left them at the seller's place until he was ready to start the project. How a man that genius can't get a Hayabusa running in a Subaru 360 van is beyond me. 

The RV was sold as yeah just get it running and you can drive her away. Not so simple. Admittedly this was a back burner project since 1) it wasn't on my property and 2) who wants to work in a hot ass RV in the Flordia summer?  I think I finally got it running around Christmas but then discovered the brakes were shot. Well not exactly drive off material. 

We needed to pick up Lil Stampie's Audi and Project T&A so it got pushed back in line again. Then I got a call. Their house had been sold and I had until June 1st to get it out. Well berk. I called a friend I met through a CL Volvo parts deal like 5 years ago. Good peeps. Good enough that I programmed his number in and kept in contact. 

I knew he scraped some so thought he might be interested. Turns out his brother was homeless and sleeping in his truck. This would be perfect to put in my friends back yard and give his brother a real home. We agreed I could tow it there, pull the engine, and his brother got a home. Good deal for everyone involved. Today was moving day. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/19 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Win-win!

Stampie
6/7/19 11:03 a.m.

After dropping of the Silverado for AC work we put sound deading in the Miata and made a simple auger insert for the Spec Miata exhaust. Then we got to the planned project of the day. 

I started pulling the drivers seat while Lil Stampie worked on the carb. You can tell he's my kid cause he ain't right. 

Then we pulled the large engine cover and surveyed what it'll take to pull. Actual doesn't look that bad. 

Looks like these came with a dual alternator system which is cool. The oil dipstick was a concern but it looks like I can just bend it back some for clearance. AC system is empty of freon so I don't have to feel guilty about destroying the environment. Overall not bad. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/7/19 3:05 p.m.

interesting story arc. I think the hardest part of that would be pulling it while still leaving it in good enough shape to function as a residence afterward.

Stampie
6/7/19 3:12 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

What you see there is the extent of what needed to be removed. The 454 should lift right out of that hole and out the driver's door. Then it's just a matter of putting the two engine covers back in place and reinstalling the driver's seat if they want that.

I've been meaning to ask you something unrelated so I'll send you a PM.

Stampie
6/16/19 11:21 a.m.

Last week we were trying to decide what to do on Father's day and decided we'd work on pulling the engine. 

We started on the top getting wires out of the way. About 10 minutes in a heard rustling coming up from below the engine. Having had a possum jump out at me once I pulled back. Then this guy popped up. 

He continued to play with us as we got everything on top disconnected. It is amazing how many vacuum lines this thing has. We got most of the top done and the bolts from the passenger side header. Seems someone previous broke one of those header bolts so we'll have to deal with that. My back started hurting from being bent over the engine that long so we called it a day. Here's a picture showing how it'll go out. Talking with my friend we'll take out the steering column to make that easier. 

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/16/19 1:34 p.m.

I guess the kitty got a new home, too!

Stampie
6/16/19 1:40 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

No it stayed. I like the stray cats around the house that keep the mice population down but don't want a pet cat. Well I like them until they decide to make new kittens at 3am under my window. 

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/16/19 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Heh...I was more joking that the cat was gonna live in the motorhome now along with the guy's brother.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/16/19 1:43 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

What you see there is the extent of what needed to be removed. The 454 should lift right out of that hole and out the driver's door. Then it's just a matter of putting the two engine covers back in place and reinstalling the driver's seat if they want that.

I've been meaning to ask you something unrelated so I'll send you a PM.

I like the part of out the drivers door. 

Stampie
6/21/19 5:57 p.m.

This morning kicked my shiny. We started early to beat the heat but it caught up to us quickly. Here's me about 30 minutes in. 

That's one sexy sweaty fat redneck. 

I tried to finish up the top side. Realized that I'd have to remove the accessories to get the wiring out. While working on the AC compressor Lil Stampie said he had to pee. He didn't like my idea of peeing in the corner of the backyard. That turned into a lot of water jokes while I tortured him. Finally we packed up and went to a nearby gas station and called it a day. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
6/22/19 12:49 a.m.

There are a few talks in a boy’s life.  One of the first is about the amazing gift God has blessed us with to be able to take a leak just about anywhere in mere seconds.  

Stampie
7/12/19 6:07 p.m.

Been a busy day. After Lil Stampie went to his mom's I headed over to work on the RV. Didn't get much done because a storm came through. Got most of the topside done. Next Friday I'm planning on a long hard day getting the rest done. Normally the bellhousing bolts on top are a PITA. The bright side of an RV is they're right in the open. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/19 9:32 p.m.

I like how this thread progressed... I think there are almost more pictures of vehicles that aren't the 3+3... 

awesome crazy project man. 

Stampie
7/19/19 11:33 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Just for you I was hoping to get a picture of my friends full size Ranger.  Unfortunately it wasn't there this morning. 

This bolt kicked our ass. 

We spent an hour on it this morning. It's the bolt right behind the 2nd header tube drivers side. Problem was a tight space so while I could get a breaker bar and socket on I couldn't get in a position to get leverage. Remembering our recent impact driver thread we went and bought this.

I got it because I already had a battery and charger at home. It's only 450 ft/lbs but it's compact size allowed me to get into the space perfectly and removed that bolt in seconds. It's my new BFF. 

We're taking a break for lunch before heading back. While walking in Lil Stampie sneezed and I felt something hit my foot. Lil bastard even denied it until I showed him the proof.

Stampie
7/19/19 2:26 p.m.

Next time on the to do was remove the fan. I'm learning more and more that simple things normally aren't too simple on an RV. So belts were loose and that makes taking off the four nuts hard. Here's me yoga mat on top of the engine try to figure out a solution. 

We'll give Angry a few moments to compose himself ... So out came the sawzall. 

At this point everything else is underneath but we hear a thunderstorm coming. We hope it's going to blow over but once it's obviously just soaking the ground under the RV we call it a day. At the rush of putting Angry over the top here's a picture of me all wet.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 3:04 p.m.

Work faster, Stampie!  I hear banjos!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 3:06 p.m.

And don’t be afraid to embrace the notion that you’re just an object to me.  

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l27S5vLwSr3Tmay0IAeNeoj20AcLZWgXcACfbwFDxnS6xxZ6ge3eyG94ITVZYHgS