1 2
fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/10/12 4:50 p.m.

Why not.

I always liked these cars and over the past few years, several of them have popped up on CL with various mechanical failures.

Here we go - I was third in line to buy this one then talked my way up to #2. #1 guy was a younger dude who wanted to give the seller money down and weekly payments. Needless to say, I showed up with a trailer an hour after that dude was turned down.

On the way back: Photobucket

It wasn't everything I wanted but it was cheap and that's all that matters sometimes.

Finally home: Photobucket

The problem was obvious with this one - a big ol' hole in the top of the block. It must of had a bad rod bearing for a long time to eject the rod & piston bits all over under the hood.

More details to follow.

Up next - the disasembly...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/12 7:39 p.m.

Nice!

I will be watching this very closely. I hope to bring my engineless Legacy GT home on Sunday.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
8/10/12 8:05 p.m.

Love the RS. Late great David E. Davis once proclaimed the RS one of the most underated sports cars.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/10/12 8:52 p.m.

One of the cars I have owned and actually miss. I sold it for racing money and to get a bigger truck.

Winston
Winston Reader
8/10/12 11:11 p.m.

Jealous. I've wanted one of those cars for a while.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/11/12 6:51 a.m.

Loved our non-RS. Handle great and actually have some personality. All they needed was a bit more power. NASIOC classifieds are your friend.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
8/12/12 9:54 a.m.

I have always wanted one of those and still do. I honestly think they look better than the WRXs that we got here in the states. If I got a job that required alot of driving that car would be at the top of my list.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/13/12 9:37 a.m.

I loved mine, and would own another in a heartbeat, if I could find a rust free one, for a reasonable price.

fornetti14
8/15/12 6:27 a.m.

Fire in the hole! Photobucket

Messed up crankshaft: Photobucket At least the pistons were salvagable for future projects.

I picked up a used short block for $150 and reused these heads. Spent most of my time cleaning everything up inside before bolting it all together.

She fires and runs!!!

fornetti14
8/15/12 6:31 a.m.

Updated pic...

Photobucket

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/15/12 8:06 a.m.

Dern, that was fast! Congrats!

Also my favorite Impreza - did you manage to find one in black? It's a little hard to tell from the pics, but all I ever see are the common dark navy blue.

fornetti14
8/24/12 6:46 a.m.

Yes, its black and after a few weeks I love driving this thing!

I'll add some more motor assembly pics when I can get them organized.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/24/12 1:03 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: Fire in the hole! Photobucket At least the pistons were salvagable for future projects. I picked up a used short block for $150 and reused these heads. Spent most of my time cleaning everything up inside before bolting it all together. She fires and runs!!!

Holy hole Batman!

Already running? I was hoping for more suspense.

Now swap an STI drivetrain into it. Nothing could go wrong!

fornetti14
9/16/12 7:27 p.m.

Now for some Rallycross!!!

You can't have a Subie without running it though the dirt every now and then...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Winston
Winston Reader
9/16/12 7:29 p.m.

Man, those cars look so good doing that! Good job on the quick rehabilitation, and for using it as intended :)

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
9/16/12 7:31 p.m.

Nice!!! how is the fender rot?

fornetti14
9/16/12 7:31 p.m.

Love that last pic.

I may have that one hanging in my office by the end of the week.

fornetti14
9/16/12 7:33 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: Nice!!! how is the fender rot?

It's there but not too bad.

Photobucket Photobucket

Makes it the perfect RallyX'r. I had so much fun that I may run the entire Detroit region SCCA schedule next year.
Wife has given the green light!

ScottyB
ScottyB New Reader
9/17/12 9:19 p.m.

nice find and great shots! i'm in the same position...going to get my RS dirty for the first time rallycrossing later this season. looks like so much fun.

fornetti14
10/19/12 8:58 p.m.

Time for a quick post -

It has rained all week while the colors were changing here in Michigan. It's one of the things about living in this state that you have to see to appreiciate.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Time to get the tires dirty...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I grew up in the "U.P." (Yooper for those who live near Michigan) and I've learned that two trackin' is all about tire placement... or you'll get stuck.

fornetti14
10/19/12 9:02 p.m.

As you can see I sold the aftermarket wheels that came with the car and scored a set of perfect WRX wheels with good tires on CL!
They are 2 lbs per wheel lighter than what was on the car. Photobucket

Winter mode will be Forester steelie's and Dunlop snow tires. Photobucket

Next up, decent mud flaps and maybe some body work.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
10/19/12 10:22 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: I grew up in the "U.P." (Yooper for those who live near Michigan)

Pasties

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
10/21/12 6:47 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: Now for some Rallycross!!! You can't have a Subie without running it though the dirt every now and then... Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I'd always wanted one of those,couldn't bring myself to bash it or nearly any car in the dirt like that though.

fornetti14
12/9/12 6:57 a.m.

Time for an update. I had a CEL for a while now and it was finally time to fix it: Photobucket

There's a plastic gas filler neck guard that tends to fill up with dirt and debris over the years. All this stuff packed up under the filler neck will rot it out and cause a CEL.

Picked up a new looking filler pipe at the salvage yard (from a Forester) for $14. Photobucket Good as new!

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/9/12 11:55 a.m.

$14, the price is right! Is there enough room there to do it without dropping the tank? My Outback is probably past due for the same.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hi06ep2iFB1bXYXR8nsD98dpz7doqWZ8pgsxEQqY0JbU5OpZ48PinAAH5OnaBU7L