1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/27/20 7:10 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Please tell me the color and fish are staying......

Well, I was building it like I was keeping it but had the plan to sell it. I figured school bus yellow was not everybody's cup of tea so I went on a Facebook group for 67-72 Suburban, Blazer and Trucks and made a poll. I asked members to vote on several colors (including the yellow) and the big winner was light blue with a white roof. It wasn't even close, more people voted for the blue than all other colors combined. It would look like this one

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/27/20 7:14 p.m.

Which would be cool because here is a picture of my 1965 Harley (painted the same two colors), that would just fit in the back of the Suburban. 

759NRNG (Forum Supporter)
759NRNG (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/8/20 9:53 a.m.

Hope you're not selling this before it's fleshed out.....but would understand none the lesssad

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/8/20 9:28 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Supporter) said:

Hope you're not selling this before it's fleshed out.....but would understand none the lesssad

I was going to but my wife convinced me to hang onto it and finish it. The thing is, the rug has been yanked out under me and right now I can't imagine ever feeling confident enough in my finances to spend another $20,000 to finish the Suburban. Of course, I hope I feel confident enough to finish it but right now I can't see it

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/14/20 9:37 p.m.

I tried to sell the Suburban as is and a few people come to look at it but I got the impression that they were a little intimidated by the size of the project. I have resumed work on it to get it a little closer to done and I'll post it for sale again. Today I test fitted the oak floor. Either I'll have to order a second oak floor or will have to get custom pieces made because there's not enough wood in a truck kit to do a Suburban 

solfly
solfly Dork
9/15/20 6:17 a.m.

looks like really good quality work you're doing, hopefully you can keep it or sell it for a good price. good luck!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
9/15/20 6:51 a.m.

You didn't post it for sale here, did you? I don't remember seeing it listed. These are one of the recurring vehicles I run searches for, I love the way they look (and my wife likes the GMC front end..)

Awesome work, looking forward to reading the whole thread.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/15/20 8:18 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

I did not list it here but it is for sale. The more time and money I put into it, the more I'm going to need for it

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
9/15/20 8:43 a.m.

Shouldn't, but I PMd you.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/21/20 9:22 p.m.

I worked on the wheel well for 4 hours today, rebuilding a flange so the oak floor can be bolted it. Before and after pic

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/9/20 9:54 a.m.

More work happening on the Suburban. This rust repair is getting old, I want to move onto paint

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/9/20 9:56 a.m.

Yes. Bodywork SUCKS. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/15/20 8:18 p.m.

After 20 hours of cutting, fitting, welding and grinding, the passenger barn door is rust free! 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/15/20 11:20 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I did not list it here but it is for sale. The more time and money I put into it, the more I'm going to need for it

You've already got enough time and money to be WAY above my cheap self... but WOW!!! Incredible work. Keep it up, and I hope you get to keep it. Keep posting pictures of your work, and I think everyone here will keep ya encouraged.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/16/20 7:32 p.m.
03Panther said:

You've already got enough time and money to be WAY above my cheap self... but WOW!!! Incredible work. Keep it up, and I hope you get to keep it. Keep posting pictures of your work, and I think everyone here will keep ya encouraged.

Thanks. I feel like I'm getting better and better at this sheetmetal stuff. I took the drivers side barn door off and started work on it. The whole bottom edge was rusty so I cut it all away and managed to weld in all new metal and finish it today, and am quite pleased how it turned out. Here are pics of both sides of the repairs

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/16/20 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) :

I suspect I would just break even if I fully finished it. Here is a recent BringATrailer auction for a 1972 Suburban 4x4 that is very, very similar to what mine would be if finished Bring A Trailer and it brought $30,000. I cannot remove the custom bumpers and just bolt on stock ones. Some idiot in the past has taken a torch to the frame ends front and rear so stock bumpers wouldn't even bolt up.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/16/20 9:49 p.m.

Yea, unfortunately the only way to get a profit on building something like that is to cut A LOT of corners. The TV doesn't show that part! And there are a lot of folks that are ok with that, but I like your work better. I vote ya keep her!! Now you just gotta find a rich sponsor that would vote with his money!!!!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/21/20 9:19 p.m.

30 hours of work into the barn doors but they are finally rust free (but still dented)

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/6/20 6:12 p.m.

The damn government has shut down businesses like mine due to Covid so all I have to do every day is drink alcohol, watch NETFLIX and work on the Suburban. Today I fixed the last piece of rust, the bottom corner of the windshield. And my wife came and tackled the sanding and bodywork that has to be done, bless her.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
11/6/20 8:11 p.m.

prayers for you both......my release today was tractor seat time....and beers

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/12/20 10:39 p.m.

Slowly but surely, the kinks are getting worked out and the body is getting closer to being all smooth. Briget is working on the passenger side and I am working the drivers side. I have kept track of hours and I am currently at 60 hours into the repair of just the drivers side rear quarter panel. Here is the before, middle and after pics.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/13/20 1:42 a.m.

Congrats on the time to work on that beast! And we enjoy the updates. Sucky reason to have the time, but looks like you have a GREAT support system!

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/20 1:50 a.m.
loosecannon said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Please tell me the color and fish are staying......

Well, I was building it like I was keeping it but had the plan to sell it. I figured school bus yellow was not everybody's cup of tea so I went on a Facebook group for 67-72 Suburban, Blazer and Trucks and made a poll. I asked members to vote on several colors (including the yellow) and the big winner was light blue with a white roof. It wasn't even close, more people voted for the blue than all other colors combined. It would look like this one

Finnegan just bought his wife one of those in that color.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/17/20 8:19 p.m.

I started work on the drivers side barn door and discovered that it had been hit with a ball pean hammer right on a body line, and filled with bondo. I ground off the bondo, used a pin puller to pull the dent out then got the whole thing smooth. Here are the pictures in sequence:

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/17/20 8:35 p.m.

I hadn't checked on this thread in a very long time.  Your work is almost intimidating; I'm nowhere near as capable in a garage.  Sorry to hear that things are going they way they are for you these days with work/income/etc.  Seems like you're making good progress on this project.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MbzM1snUbnvQbE04zimKQZEHQKOaLALoIrehEMZbo0rJpb4ItL4n8gnXk4S5zPn5