1 2 3 4
johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/21/13 6:10 p.m.

I am attempting to put an Eaton M90 blower from an old Thunderbird SuperCoupe on my 84 944 Track car. Being a TIG welder/fabricator by trade helps a great deal. I went to the shop today and fabbed up a bracket. It's still in the mock-up stage, but I am happy with the results. I will try to keep this build thread going as I believe many have tried this and failed. I hope to succeed, we'll see. here's some pics of my progress so far(I only started today)::

The blower actually has more room than it looks, so no worries about engine movement. I have picked up a set of new 944 Turbo injectors, an MSD HVC 2 coil and an AEM UEGO Wideband O2. I also will be installing a header and removing the catalytic converter. The car has already been converted to MAF using the Rogue Tuning NA-Tune and I have them burning me a new chip to help run this setup.

I only plan to run approx. 6lbs. of boost hopefully gaining about 40hp. I feel this can be a reliable setup giving me some added torque and hp which should be more fun!

Stay tuned!

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota Reader
9/21/13 6:17 p.m.

Interesting

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
9/22/13 7:12 a.m.

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/22/13 9:05 a.m.

I just spent this morning preparing to remove the N/A rad. I picked up a nearly new 944 Turbo rad and will be swapping that in figuring that I need more cooling. It is slightly larger and requires a few brackets made up, so that's my next little project. I want to do this right with regards to cooling, so along with the turbo rad I'll be doing some rad shrouding and I have a fibreglass hood I'll be installing so I'll most likely add a bunch of hood vents to aid cooling as well.

I am still trying to sort out an S/C bypass valve, anybody have any ideas how it's plumbed?

duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
9/22/13 9:55 a.m.

i liked my 944, but would have liked it more with a few more HP.

Do you use the same pulleys as existing? they look a bit small to drive the power that the blower takes. Would be a real pain to change to wider pulleys on everything else....

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/22/13 11:34 a.m.
duetto_67 wrote: i liked my 944, but would have liked it more with a few more HP. Do you use the same pulleys as existing? they look a bit small to drive the power that the blower takes. Would be a real pain to change to wider pulleys on everything else....

That's a great question, it's one I have myself. I'm not sure the belt will be wide enough and short of having all custom pulleys made, I don't have much choice. The stock pulleys are 5 rib, the blower is 8 rib. The 5 seems inadequate, but i'll know better once I run it.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/23/13 8:28 a.m.

HA! "stay tuned"

Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/27/13 2:37 p.m.

any updates?

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/27/13 5:19 p.m.

I will be starting on the piping tomorrow. I have all my parts, just need to fab up the intake and outlet on the S/C. I have a nice sized intercooler on the way too. I will take pics tomorrow. i have spoken with my chip burner guy in Colorado and I'll be sending him my DME this weekend so he can set it up for boost as well as the ability to run an MSD HVC 2 coil that I picked up.

I don't get much time to work on it during the week, as both my kids play competitive sports so that keeps me busy, but weekends are fairly wide open at the moment so I'll get as much done as I can this weekend.

I will also be replacing my Timing Belt , waterpump and some seals while I'm in there. I have already blown my original budget estimate, but I'm ok with that, just don't tell my wife...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/13 11:16 a.m.

Saw this and thought you'd dig it:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-used-parts-sale-wanted/733531-2-5l-supercharged-motor-f-s.html

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/30/13 5:56 p.m.

Thanks swede, about a year ago he put it up for sale and I offered to buy it. He backed out of the sale saying that he got it running really well and wanted to keep it. fast forward to this year, I start my build, he puts it back up for sale.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
10/6/13 7:34 p.m.

My intercooler came in the mail on friday. Picked it up for $100 shipped. I'm waiting for my silicone hose couplings to come in and I should have all the parts I need. The last piece of the puzzle is a S.S. housing for my MAF sensor. I want to have a machine shop do up a nice hosing for me to mount my MAF, I just haven't found one locally yet.

It's coming along.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
5/19/14 8:21 p.m.

So the nice weather is here and I finally had a day to do some work on the S/C 944. I got the intercooler mocked up by notching some of the sheetmetal up front which then allowed me to mock up some of the piping. I am using all 304 stainless steel because I am a stainless steel welder by day and my home TIG machine doesn't do aluminum.

Now I have to order some silicone couplers to attach the 2" pipe to the 2 1/4" IC inlet and outlet. I also need to setup a supercharger bypass valve. I'm still waiting to hear from my ECU guy, I'm afraid how long that may take...

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
5/19/14 9:23 p.m.

I like superchargers and I think red 944s are cool. This is interesting.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
5/19/14 9:37 p.m.

This is very interesting. How much did you pay for your TIG welder?

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
5/20/14 5:32 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: This is very interesting. How much did you pay for your TIG welder?

I bought it about 12 years ago for $200. It comes in very handy.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
5/20/14 7:48 a.m.

Very cool build. I was thinking of going this way in the future with my 924. Is it running yet?

Mike Kirby 1976 924

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
5/21/14 7:52 p.m.
Mike924 wrote: Very cool build. I was thinking of going this way in the future with my 924. Is it running yet? Mike Kirby 1976 924

Not running yet. I am taking my time with this build, should be going in another month or so.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
8/30/14 10:25 p.m.

So I am the worst build thread guy ever. Although not completely my fault, my DME took 2 mos. longer than I thought, it's finally in transit so I am 98% complete on my build. Spent much of the last 2 weeks doing the last 8% of the job. I am happy with what I see so far, but the proof will be when I fire it up, hopefully Tues. or Wed. here's a pic from today.

mbruneaux
mbruneaux New Reader
8/30/14 11:36 p.m.

There are lots of pulleys available for that supercharger,

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/c/53-Pulleys-Belts.aspx

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
8/30/14 11:42 p.m.

In reply to mbruneaux: That's mostly GM stuff, mine is from a ford. Thanks though. I think I'll keep it stock, the engine is a stock NA so the 7 lbs of boost that I am expecting should be more than enough. Hopefully if I get it out of the garage tomorrow I can snap some more detailed pics of the build.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
8/31/14 12:53 p.m.

Finally got it down off the jackstands after almost a year, sporting my new to me Simmons 17" 3-pc forged wheels.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/1/14 7:25 p.m.

I always love before and after pics.

Before:

After:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/1/14 7:41 p.m.

Dude, that looks great! Hows she run.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
9/1/14 7:54 p.m.

Not running yet. Still waiting for my ECU to show up from the tuner.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rWDJuPy6gb83DcroT2fikaDx1AoYP0szBebdMb9fB6mTWgGd2lhZKGsylIJ6Vcfr