auteck
auteck
10/21/16 10:54 p.m.

Hello: I'm new to this forum, but happy to have found it.

I have a 1991 VW Golf GTI 16v that I use as dedicated track car. I'm in the process of replacing the street coilovers with track coilovers, but I have a situation that I need help with.

The current front springs are H&R 457 lb. 180mm (7 inches in length) and they appear to be too short when adjusted to the max height, which makes the control arms below level. My questions is: Can I run longer springs in the front? Like 8 or 9 inches in length? Car is use on asphalt.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/16 11:08 p.m.

Certainly. Springs are available in various lengths at the same rates.

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
10/22/16 2:37 a.m.

Show us pictures of your existing coilover setup so we can get an idea of what you're working with.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
10/22/16 3:18 a.m.

As Stefan said, there are lots of spring length options out there and you just need to watch diameters and rates. Speedway motors has some of the best prices I've found. I had the opposite problem and had to shorter on my rabbit.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/22/16 10:51 a.m.

I used to race an A2 GTI and used 8" front springs on a coilover sleeve. I kept the A-arms parallel, or even a little higher with that length.

auteck
auteck New Reader
10/23/16 9:32 p.m.

Great responses, thanks!

The reason I asked because I read on this forum that a few members were discussing spring lengths and that you could not go longer than 7 inches because it will rub on the front tires. Somebody else mentioned running longer springs in the back, 8" min. I like the control arms to be parallel and I'm not into slamming cars down for the sake of looks.

If this is possible, I can probably purchase a set of 8" coils with slightly different rates and swap front to rear and rear to front in order to fine tune the suspension?

I was thinking of going with 571 lbs. fronts and 457 lbs. rear with 25mm front bar and 28mm rear, good/bad?

Addicted
Addicted
10/24/16 2:23 a.m.
auteck wrote: The reason I asked because I read on this forum that a few members were discussing spring lengths and that you could not go longer than 7 inches because it will rub on the front tires.

This is true, but dependant on tyre choice and wheel offset. I've just switched to 6.5" wide rims, ET43 with 195/50 Yokahamas and the tyre is hard against the 8" spring. I have to switch to a shorter spring to move the platform above the tyre.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
10/24/16 7:48 a.m.

It may rub on the tire with a longer spring but really depends on wheel offset and tire width more than anything. Usually if it's that far off I will install a helper spring setup.

PS: most of the internet will tell you to lower it ;)

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/24/16 8:13 a.m.

What diameter of springs are rubbing? I ran AFCO racing springs and 225/50/14 tires on 6x14/38mm offset wheels without rubbing.

auteck
auteck New Reader
10/24/16 10:26 a.m.

I'm either going to run 205/55R14 on BMW E30 BBS wheels 6.5 (I think is ET25) or 15x6 Corrado wheels with ET35 195/50R15, I haven't decided which setup is going to be dry and which is going to be wet.

auteck
auteck New Reader
10/24/16 1:13 p.m.

I just double checked the ET for the 14x6 BMW basketweave wheels: ET30

So 14x6.5 wheels with ET30 and 205/55R14 will clear 8" springs in the front?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/24/16 2:01 p.m.

I went out to the garage and found a pair of front struts (Bilstein HD) and springs I actually raced on in 2001. The springs were 8" long AFCOs, approximately 3.3" OD.The struts have the spring perch replaced with a typical coilover sleeve. The spring perch on there is about 3.3" Dia. and at its lowest point of adjustment is no lower than the stock one. I know I ran those components with the front A-arms at parallel, or lower without tire rub. My wheels were 6x14, ET 38. I still have those,too. Tires were Goodyears or Hoosiers in 205 or 225 widths. I think you'll be fine with 8" springs.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/24/16 2:09 p.m.

Also note, my car had camber plates, so the ride height may be affected by your choice of top mounts. At parallel a GTI isn't really low. You can see a couple of pictures of my car here
https://www.facebook.com/346188945462109/photos/a.346194262128244.77402.346188945462109/346194322128238/?type=3&theater

auteck
auteck New Reader
10/25/16 12:35 a.m.

These are the coilovers that are currently on the car:

It's clear that they coils are longer than 7 inches and it does not rub at all.

auteck
auteck New Reader
10/27/16 10:16 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Certainly. Springs are available in various lengths at the same rates.

Do you know if a longer spring affects performance/rebound?

auteck
auteck New Reader
11/4/16 9:03 a.m.

?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/16 9:44 a.m.

Spring length doesn't affect performance or rebound, as long as the spring isn't preloaded, and isn't so long that the entire spring buckles on the coilover (sometimes a problem on crazy-travel offroad suspension, but won't be a problem on an 8-9" spring).

However running a longer spring to affect the lower arm angle means increasing ride height. If you want to correct the lower arm angle without increasing ride height, you'll need to run drop spindles as well. I don't know if any are available for your Golf.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/16 10:04 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Spring length doesn't affect performance or rebound, as long as the spring isn't preloaded, and isn't so long that the entire spring buckles on the coilover (sometimes a problem on crazy-travel offroad suspension, but won't be a problem on an 8-9" spring). However running a longer spring to affect the lower arm angle means increasing ride height. If you want to correct the lower arm angle without increasing ride height, you'll need to run drop spindles as well. I don't know if any are available for your Golf.

You can get balljoint spacers to help correct the geometry of a lowered car. I'm planning on running some on my 924 (which use a mirrored MK1 VW front end), just need to find some to order as most only carry the Mk2 or MK3 pieces anymore :/

Stefan
11/4/16 10:06 a.m.
auteck wrote:
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Certainly. Springs are available in various lengths at the same rates.
Do you know if a longer spring affects performance/rebound?

Nope. The potential for Coil bind is related to the amount of travel you have in the damper and the amount you plan on using.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/16 10:09 a.m.
Stefan wrote: You can get balljoint spacers to help correct the geometry of a lowered car. I'm planning on running some on my 924 (which use a mirrored MK1 VW front end), just need to find some to order as most only carry the Mk2 or MK3 pieces anymore :/

Only downside is that balljoint spacers increase bump steer while drop spindles don't. Balljoint spacers with flipped rod ends might help keep the bump steer in check.

Stefan
11/4/16 10:55 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Yes, that is a common solution, although strut based suspension will always have some form of bumpsteer, it's just inherent in the design. The best you can do I minimize it as much as possible in the ranges you generally work in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sJmsAduf9ZE9xAciKgiDjlD6drZXOLkiB2wsKPYtju47N2WQtSc0m39Kdf8ciSe4