1 2
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/12/18 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Mykk :

what engine controller are you going to use?

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
9/12/18 6:14 p.m.

Engine looks terrific.  What's your method for cleaning up all the aluminum castings?

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/13/18 7:36 a.m.

That is an eclectic mix. Watching with interest. 

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/13/18 8:02 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

The EFI system I've found and like is called Speeduino, an arduino based efi system

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/13/18 8:03 a.m.

In reply to USERNAMETAKEN :

What castings are you referring to?  I'm not looking to make a show car, this thing will be driven, alot and driven hard.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/13/18 8:05 a.m.

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
9/13/18 9:04 a.m.
Mykk said:

What castings are you referring to?  I'm not looking to make a show car, this thing will be driven, alot and driven hard.

I just meant the engine and supercharger, and all.  Everything looks really nicely cleaned up and uniform in appearance.  I assume you spent some time and elbow-grease getting them all looking sharp.

Medchin
Medchin New Reader
9/13/18 12:49 p.m.

That adapter kit to bolt the M112 to the M62 is really interesting, I've never seen an accessory pulley mounted in space like that. Neat. The combo looks amazing, Jaguar may not know how to make their cars work, but by god do they know how to make an engine look amazing.

I'm with USERNAMETAKEN though as to curious how you got the intake and trans and everything looking so clean. Machine shop and vatted? Pressure washed? Dry Ice blasted? When I clean cast aluminum it never looks that nice.

This is one to watch, I'm especially interested to see how the chassis comes together.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/13/18 2:08 p.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:
Mykk said:

I just meant the engine and supercharger, and all.  Everything looks really nicely cleaned up and uniform in appearance.  I assume you spent some time and elbow-grease getting them all looking sharp.

I hear ya now, just an over the counter engine degreaser gel, hand brushes, wire brushes, wash off and paint. Nothing special. Otherwise everything is as cast from jag or bmw

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
9/13/18 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Mykk :

Ok, cool.  So really just elbow-grease!  Good to know how nice those results can be.

morello159
morello159 New Reader
9/14/18 2:47 p.m.

That engine seems too nice to run off of a $35 hobbyist prototype board (Arduinos are pretty fragile)...

But otherwise, this looks fantastic!

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/14/18 7:32 p.m.
morello159 said:

That engine seems too nice to run off of a $35 hobbyist prototype board (Arduinos are pretty fragile)...

I've been running one for a year in a naturally aspirated version of the same engine platform. I've been happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjPw6jeFoU

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
9/14/18 8:08 p.m.
Mykk said:
morello159 said:

I've been running one for a year in a naturally aspirated version of the same engine platform. I've been happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjPw6jeFoU

E34?

Sounds great in the video. Do you have a build thread for that wild ride?

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/14/18 9:25 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

E34?

Sounds great in the video. Do you have a build thread for that wild ride?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/project-ares-1995-bmw-540i6/139298/page1/

mbruneaux
mbruneaux Reader
9/15/18 9:50 p.m.

Will you be pre-lubing before you start that beast?  And if so where would you tap into the motor to do it?

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/16/18 8:30 a.m.
mbruneaux said:

Will you be pre-lubing before you start that beast?  And if so where would you tap into the motor to do it?

Yes, The oil pump can't be driven by hand externally. I'm thinking one of the pipe plugs currently closing off the ends of the oil filter adapter. I can plumb into the adapter, fill oil into a sealed canister and pressurize canister with shop air to force oil into engine and oil passages

mbruneaux
mbruneaux Reader
9/16/18 2:41 p.m.

That's what I was thinking.  Thank you

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/17/18 12:07 p.m.

Following! This is gonna be good!

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
9/17/18 8:22 p.m.

Frame coming soon