1 2
electric_olive
electric_olive New Reader
1/1/19 5:38 p.m.

Sorry it has been soooo long since the last update.  First, the good news, I have the TDI engine running now and hope to have her out for a test drive this weekend - just need to mount the accelerator pedal and secure some of the wiring.  It has been a struggle to get to this point - and the troubles were compounded by my inexperience with TDI electronics.  So here is the run down of last two years.

Mounted the turbo boost control solenoid and vacuum reservoir to the coolant reservoir bracket - nice to have them all tucked away.

Bought a used rear shift linkage off the Samba and cleaned it up and painted it and installed it with new bushing and it actually seems to line up and shift well.  The transmission was relocated with the TDI install kit and I was lucky to guess the switch from European linkage to the US linkage would work.

Next, I spent way too much time trying to get the TDI engine started.  It would crank but not deliver enough fuel to fire off - it would just occasionally partially fire a cylinder.  For the longest time I thought is was an air lock at the injection pump inlet .  The air can be hard to get rid off.  I used a might vac tool to pull fuel through the fuel lines hundreds of times and eventually went with a clear fuel line and convinced myself the air was gone.  Turns out one of the connectors to the coolant temp sensor was not fully seated and the ECU was reading the temp 260 deg C, so the ECU was limiting fuel thinking that engine was overheated.  I could see that coolant temp reading on cheapie OBD scan tool, but did not put two and two together.  Once I plugged in the connector, she fired right up.

Next challenge was that the clutch would not disengage at all.  I was really worried that I would have to remove the trans to fix this.   There is a slave cylinder on the transmission and there are several different style brackets to mount it and slave cylinders and different clutch levers for gas and Diesel engines, but only the Diesel part was available to buy.  My problem was the slave cylinder was only moving the clutch with the last 1/4" or so of its travel.   I bought another used slave cylinder bracket off ebay but it was the same as the one I had.  It took some study to figure out that I could pretty easily mod one of my clutch levers to make it adjustable.  I drilled and tapped the arm for a bolt and welded the ball to the end of the bolt.  And I went with new master and slave cylinders and the clutch seems to be working well.

And then there was the problem that the engine would not rev at all when I pressed on the accelerator pedal - it would just idle.  This was strange because the scan tool showed the throttle position moving from 0-100% when I pressed on the pedal.  After a bunch of continuity checking of the wiring, moving pins around the connector and then back where they were originally I was still no closer.  I poked a big hole in my finger before I wised up and bought the proper VW connector extraction tool.  Finally, I spent some time on the TDI forum and found that the guy who sold me the wire harness and accelerator pedal sent me a pedal for a gas engine and I needed the Diesel version of the pedal - they are similar but the TDI ECU does not respond properly ot the gas pedal.  So I just got the proper part for $80 off ebay and she revs great now.

Right now the only problem left is that the alternator is not charging.  And there is quite a bit a wiring to do for the instrument cluster and gauges.

It was frustrating making such slow progress, but I was able to get a bunch of other stuff done while I was either pissed off at the TDI engine or mulling over next things to try, or waiting for divine inspiration.  Should have more progress to report soon.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/1/19 5:55 p.m.

Great work!  I'm not surprised the electrics are proving tedious. I know a guy who runs a German car repair shop and has done a few TDI swaps. He's mentioned getting all of the electrical bits to "talk" correctly can take ages - and fixing these cars is what he does all the time, so he and his crew really know the gotchas. 

Keep at it! 

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
1/1/19 6:23 p.m.

That Torino makes me weak at the knees

electric_olive
1/11/19 8:49 a.m.

I got Olive out on the road for a test drive.  Wow.  The TDI engine is crazy powerful with just a little pedal input.  I have to take it easy and follow the ring and pinion break in procedure which says no hard accelerations until after several heat cycles.  Still have some more work to do, but it feels great to have a driving truck again.  The clutch needs more adjustment - it engages when the pedal is pretty close to the floor and one of the rear brake cylinders is leaking badly.  And I have the aforementioned cluster wiring to do and still no alternator output.

In order to do the test drive, I knocked up a quick and dirty bracket to mount the accelerator pedal.  I used some 1/8" thick aluminum sheet and a harbor freight sheet metal brake.  The pedal is not in the best position relative to the brake and clutch pedals, so there is another more elaborate bracket fabrication in my future...

The cooling system fill procedure is fun on Vanagons, you jack up the front end and then bleed the air out of the top of the radiator.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/19 11:11 a.m.

Very, Very Cool! Nice to discover the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train, isn't it?

Love that Torino. Those are the best looking of the lot by far.

As far as coolant fill, this is the best thing I ever bought from ECS: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/schwaben-coolant-vacuum-fill-tool/024948sch01a/

I imagine that's available from a place that isn't a bunch of douchebags but that's where I got mine. It really makes coolant testing and filling easy. Highly recommended.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/19 12:11 p.m.

Your alternator is probably not working because it isnt hooked to the gauges.

I know a lot of cars require teh alternator light to be in the circuit in order for the alternator to output anything.  Sometimes it is as simple as adding a resister the same resistance as a lightbulb to the circuit.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/11/19 12:17 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

I have a similar vacuum operated filler/tester that I use on my TDI, although it costs a little more.

https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/uview-550500hd-P181423.aspx

FWIW, you'll be draining and refilling the coolant with every timing belt change, so it's a worthwhile tool to have.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/19 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I actually got mine for Audi 2.7t S4's but it's been used on everything getting coolant changed in my garage. No need to wait for the thermostat to open burp the system, this thing gives a full fill every time. I don't buy much stuff from ECS but when I do...

electric_olive
8/18/19 11:21 p.m.

Finally on the road with Olive.  Since January, I replaced the clutch slave cylinder twice and the clutch master cylinder once - I was not getting enough travel at the clutch lever arm and could not figure it out.  There were some slight difference in different brands and the German FTE parts seem to work best, but the real culprit was air in the lines.  Doing gravity bleed for over 15 minutes is the trick there.  And the home made adjuster on the clutch lever worked well.  And I also had to adjust the shift linkage to make it easier to get into first gear which I thought was a the clutch not fully releasing - DOH.  And I gave up on making the Jetta cluster work and bought a Vanagon cluster with tach instead.  I was going to be too much work to make the Jetta cluster look good in the Vanagon dash and the alternator did, in fact, start working once I hooked the cluster up.  And in between all that troubleshooting and random part swapping, I built a really cool 3rd gen 4Runner for my sister in law.  I did a break in sequence (drive 20 min, sit 30 in, repeat) on the Vanagon final drive and got out to the local cars and coffee this weekend.  I just have a few minor details to iron out.  The tach and coolant temp gauge don't work yet, but I can read the values off a scan tool thru the OBD port, so it is just a cluster or wiring issue.  This engine swap took nearly 4 years to complete - I am over any self shaming for all the delays and am just happy to have her running again and glad I never gave up.  Next up is getting the Torino running...

is next...

Vwnerd92
Vwnerd92
7/7/20 2:21 p.m.

In reply to electric_olive :

Hey I saw this build. I just bought a 1984 VW DOKA. Bought an ahu to swap 

I have many questions. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h5uf1bZ68rrBc5VR0i1LoYuZx7Rwf4S5vJLMyKKY1qq4aGw1SyFheEy6z8snWRa8