rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/28/19 10:09 p.m.

A buddy has one in his neighborhood for sale, 2011, stick, 59k on it. He said it’s been sitting in the same spot for about 6 months. He’s kind of interested in it so I’m looking for the common trouble spots for these cars. Thanks

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
1/29/19 8:09 a.m.

I would ask to see all the records for the service done on the car, the oil changes are a window into it's past.  Has the motor been through the de- carbon process, intake off nut shell blasted intake track?

My first stop would be a dealer, yea not cheep but they have the software to read what is hidden in the system.  That and any warranty work will be up to date.  Then I would have them change all the fluids, even the one's they pretend are life time.  If you are not prepared to service a high strung V8 that comes alive above 5000 RPM, that requires it be treated like your mistress, it might not be your car.

That said, join the BMWCCA and sigh up for a local first step track class.  When you pull up the car prep requirements you will be reminded of the fluid changes.  Then with a fresh set of Bridgestone RE 71R's, have some fun.

If you can live with the stress, you reap the reward.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/29/19 8:24 a.m.

Cliffs Notes:  Great sounding motor, no torque, huge appetite for gas, very heavy. 

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/29/19 7:18 p.m.

Thanks for the inlet guys, anything else?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/19 7:22 p.m.

Didn't the first few years of these have potential rod bearing issues?  I'm not really up to speed as to which years or the exact nature of the issue, but if memory serves me right it had something to do with the bearing materials and they were later updated to resolve this.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/30/19 8:22 a.m.

They all have rod bearing issues.  It's basically a maintenance item on all of them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OTZuthU1xGi2bA26xNZp0qbEASfLSgCId1J85Ylb68D6YCj4lAb6NAzgmWgeczbE