1 2 3 4 ... 10
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/17 12:30 p.m.

Maybe tonight, heading to rural king for some “not for fuel” jugs and DEF for the truck and then some clearance wrapping paper shopping and probably tacos.  Sure my DEF tank is empty but tacos are probably the most important part of the plan for today.  

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
12/27/17 12:35 p.m.
GTXVette said:

I have taken lots of body mesuerments but what catches me is rear axle is so close to the seat on my C4 ,But cutting out the back seat on most american cars make for a really Short Door . I really wanted a Corvair body but have chopped up the vette body so much I am starting to like it.

A Gremlin body matches up with C4 wheelbase and relative seat positions believe it or not.  Ask me how I know....cheeky

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
12/27/17 1:42 p.m.

Please tell me the nitrous kit I sold you at the challenge is going to make it onto this  beast!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/27/17 2:21 p.m.

Tacos are e most important part of ANY plan.

Patrick
12/27/17 4:50 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Please tell me the nitrous kit I sold you at the challenge is going to make it onto this  beast!

Power adder is dependent on final engine choice

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
12/27/17 6:01 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Tacos are e most important part of ANY plan.

this. and beer. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/27/17 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Bobcougarzillameister :

I believe that if everyone just had some tacos and beer, we'd have that mythical 400mpg rwd 400whp 4 door miata for 15k. 

Patrick
12/27/17 10:24 p.m.

went to Moe's and got my tacos.  life is better with tacos, and loads of salsa and chips.  

also today, furnace ran out of oil.  went and got 30 gallons of diesel and bled the system, then got 42 more gallons this evening.  fun times in 3 degree weather.  also the main drain line is clogged.  i managed to punch through the clog yesterday with a manual snake, but the hole was only about 3/4" and it clogged back up at the first solids that were flushed.  it's draining very slowly, so i'm letting it drain down from the day's use and pouring some main line cleaner in the cleanout later so it can sit overnight and hopefully work some magic, the reviews are very promising.  otherwise i get to carry the auger down the steps and then pick it up into the crawlspace and deal with scheistwasser...

this is where I digress and get on with it.  April 28th I picked up the (body) from the Nelsons in addition to a set of 15x12 wide 5 wheels for a future challenge build in exchange for one pair of cylinder heads.  Budget determination by Tom is one head for body, one head for wheels.  Essentially the body cost me $15 and the wheels cost me $15.  I recouped more than $15 in scrap so the body is $0 budget hit.

Now we're in May.  The body is sitting on the trailer here so I can measure things to make more exact cuts.  

Corvette A pillars needed work.  not complete removal, but removal of the outer portion.  this took forever.  this is in progress:

here is the completely trimmed pillar minus the residual crap still welded to the framerail.  you can also see in the back how the car was trimmed from the B pillars rearward.

At this point the dash was removed to put it somewhere safe and the passenger side airbag was removed forever.

Patrick
12/27/17 10:28 p.m.

also, with the sawzall and heat gun, the cowl overhang was removed from the leading edge of the dash forward, eliminating the area that held the wipers and the bottom of the glass, opening up plenty of room for the pickup truck intake as well as leading to having a nice space to extend the firewall if needed when the body mating happens.  this area above the booster is where the wiper motor and transmission all used to reside, and were surrounded by fiberglass.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/27/17 10:31 p.m.

I love your new signature line.

And im jealous of yourtacos. I want tacos....

Patrick
12/27/17 10:34 p.m.

and with that, i spent lots of time grinding welds, heat gunning seam sealer, and sanding rough edges until i was confident mating could begin soon, so I began to clean up from the chopping in preparation to put 2 things together that never were meant to go together.   in the end, I was able to craigslist $300 worth of corvette crap as well as scrap another $20 in steel and $35 in aluminum, and still have the wiper transmission assembly sitting on ebay so the C5 is officially zeroed out in the budget.

Patrick
12/27/17 10:47 p.m.

and one more thing happened.  knowing i was going to be bolting an engine in, I needed that broken camaro oil pan(which i deemed from some diagrams would probably work) fixed.  so I welded my first aluminum thing with my tig welder.  and it stuck, and cleaned up fine.  it's not the prettiest weld, but it's an oil pan and it was free because the corner broke off.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/28/17 7:47 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

I like AMC's But that never crossed my mind.   So do we have to wait Or are using the body we Talked about at the Challenge ?

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/28/17 10:22 a.m.

LOL, I think Gremlins are harder to find than cheap C4's. 

BTW... Someone really needs to get that information to Roadkill.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/28/17 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Roadkill thinks we're cheaters. Or at least guys like pat and Andy are. 

Patrick
12/28/17 11:16 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Crackers :

Nah they just like cars that look like ass

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/28/17 11:23 a.m.
Patrick said:
Mndsm said:

In reply to Crackers :

Think of them more like the parking lot build... with less pmpm3, less time, and more subscribers, sponsors, and industry contacts

Patrick
12/28/17 11:38 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

with less pmpm3, 

Therein lies the failure in that equation. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/28/17 11:49 a.m.

I will say my last build was a total failure, I ruined a perfectly good truck.  I succeeded  in making it slower, less useful  and harder to drive.  indecision

I appreciate the compliments though...

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/28/17 11:53 a.m.

I just confirmed I have traded For a Maverick. Not Nice but not bad. I could Stretch My 427 Cobra Frame to fit But they make some good stuff for Mustangs that may be a Better fit.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/28/17 12:16 p.m.
Patrick said:
Mndsm said:

In reply to Crackers :

Yep, because clearly it only fits the budget if it looks like a flood car that was then ran over by bigfoot. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/28/17 12:54 p.m.

All (valid) complaints aside... I have to give RK some credit for encouraging a certain "go cheap, go fast, go now"  mindset that's similar to the challenge's goal to get more people involved in motorsports.

Now, for more of Pat's inspiring creativity?

Patrick
12/28/17 1:30 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

All (valid) complaints aside... I have to give RK some credit for encouraging a certain "go cheap, go fast, go now"  mindset that's similar to the challenge's goal to get more people involved in motorsports.

Now, for more of Pat's inspiring creativity?

Maybe this evening, the kids are driving me insane.  I do love roadkill, don’t get me wrong, but I was bothered when we showed up to the ziptie drags and Andrew was told they were looking for cars that look worth $3000, not cars that were built using $3000.  I specifically asked for clarification on that prior to even registering for the event and didn’t get that answer.  I had broken during testing so it was moot for me.  I still watch every roadkill as it comes out and admire that those two get to do what they love for a living.  

The next update will be catching up to present time, so you may want to stay tuned.  I’m all out of pre mating pictures.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/28/17 2:09 p.m.

Did that mean a 10,000 dollar car that look like S - Crap.

I mean 3,000 .

More than Half the cars that were at the challenge look better than 3,000 for 2,000

Patrick
12/29/17 6:52 a.m.
1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tV2oHgW4AVwFWYGhQk1lGtvirbyDtfKE79D9GLIVD5Nyv85yu0SMWOHETUhcE2Tp