1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/29/17 6:59 a.m.
GTXVette said:

Did that mean a 10,000 dollar car that look like S - Crap.

I mean 3,000 .

More than Half the cars that were at the challenge look better than 3,000 for 2,000

When you have a charger that has a hellcat in it and you can't beat a 2grand vw bug with a smallblock,  you gotta make the rules work somehow. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/29/17 9:10 a.m.

I see twin snails on this mashup receiving air from the headlights in a PACER front end.....hmmmm 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/17 6:28 p.m.
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/29/17 6:45 p.m.

Dammit, quit teasing me!

Patrick
12/29/17 7:39 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Dammit, quit teasing me!

There is a madness to my method 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/29/17 7:58 p.m.
Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
12/29/17 8:10 p.m.

Wait a berking minute..... How in the hell did I not know you lived in Cleveland, OH? Lmao! I don't live too far from you Pat. Maybe an hour drive for me hahahaha! My old stomping grounds basically. My dad used to live near the Flats but now he resides in Parma. I was raised in Wickliffe.

Patrick
12/29/17 8:15 p.m.
Bill Mesker said:

Wait a berking minute..... How in the hell did I not know you lived in Cleveland, OH? Lmao! I don't live too far from you Pat. Maybe an hour drive for me hahahaha! My old stomping grounds basically. My dad used to live near the Flats but now he resides in Parma. I was raised in Wickliffe.

South of town now in Valley City(medina county).  Grew up off w117 and bellaire 

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
12/29/17 8:17 p.m.

Nice!

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/29/17 8:24 p.m.

Born at Huron road hospital (no longer) raised in South Euclid....then moved to the burbs...AvonLake ....now residing in balmy east Texas for the last 30plus.. 

Patrick
12/29/17 8:52 p.m.

Mating time.  Donor chassis(c5) had no body obviously but has excellent frame and floors.  Donor body has rotten floors and is unibody so that's a bad combination.  I began cutting an early day in June when Carli and the kids went to Florida for a week to visit her brother.  A couple days later John Welsh, Andy(xlr99) and my other friend John were scheduled to come over and help mate the body and chassis.  Unfortunately all we did that day was create the exxon valdez on my garage floor, break the oil pump pickup bolt off in the pump, rob the pump off a junk 5.3 in the driveway, bolt the repaired F body pan on and get the 4.8 bolted into the car, and cut much out of the body.  

To aid in the entire process I built a quick gantry system in the garage out of 4x4's.  2 vertical posts and one across their tops, all anchored to the bottom rail of one of the trusses to keep everything stable.  Off the top I hung 3 5000# D rings like would be anchoring a car to a trailer.  I borrowed a chainfall from my dad and bought the identical one.  To test the gantry we used the center D ring and chainfall to install the engine instead of using the cherrypicker.  I figured I would rather drop an engine a couple feet than a body 5-6 feet.  

so here you go.  Initial day of cutting:

The day after John, John, and Andy helped remove lots of stuff, only left enough to roll it

Testing the Gantry system prior to making any final cuts - see light under wheels

last 8 cuts made, subframes liberated from body shell

ready to set on stands and begin final trimming

final cuts made, time to see if it fits 

ummm, BERK YEAH IT FITS

Patrick
12/29/17 8:56 p.m.

Fellow Dorks, may I present to you

DARTH NADER

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
12/29/17 9:06 p.m.

AWESOME !

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/29/17 9:10 p.m.

Berkin' awesome ..............Ralph N can go piss up a rope wink....is this gonna be for sale after the challenge??

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/17 9:17 p.m.

Aw hell yeah motherberkeleyer!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/29/17 9:22 p.m.

Giggity.  Ive been keeping my mouth shut for a long time on this.

Sooo awesome in person.  Really looking forward to watching it kick my ass every which way but loose.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/29/17 9:22 p.m.

The cat is out of the bag...  I am glad the chassis was put to good use.  It looks awesome, the stance is perfect!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/29/17 9:39 p.m.

This warms my heart on a cold, cold night!

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/29/17 9:44 p.m.

Oh, berkeley me running, that's amazing! 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
12/29/17 10:03 p.m.

Oh snap!  

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/29/17 10:34 p.m.

A thousand times yes. 

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
12/29/17 10:49 p.m.

Man, those rear tires look good. What's the size on those bad boys?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/29/17 10:52 p.m.

Jesus Christ. I should have expected this. Or something equally ridiculous. 

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
12/29/17 11:00 p.m.

can I cast my challengers choice vote now? that thing is sick!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/29/17 11:03 p.m.

Yowzah!  As a lifelong 'Vair guy (first car was a '63, ran my first autocrosses in it!) I love it!  Will be watching this thread closely!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LUCOOtl7KG6xGXv7hlwrvJLE7qKfSgBSxn2T3FMi3EaLFLWud5ftxtNvbYINjo82