1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
12/29/17 11:06 p.m.

Holy E36 M3!  This thread has officially gone from "this should be good" to "this is going to be insane!".  If there's anything better than square body s10 + c5, it's corvair + c5.  

Based on the climate shown in the pics, I'm guessing most of the heavy lifting is done, but if you ever need another set of hands, I'd be more than happy to trade some physical labor to meet someone doing this kind of crazy in my own backyard.  My life would be different if I knew you kind of people existed when I was younger.cool

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/17 8:35 a.m.

It’s rolling on c4 grand sport wheels with 275 front and 315 rear tires.  Budget wise I have to get everything written down to see where things are.  Have staggered c4 sawblades that cost $70.  Have a pair of $50 c5 wagon wheels for my drag radials.  The grand sport wheels are destined for the Chevelle.  The 17x11 on the back of Darth Nader is a bit much, the 9.5 wide with a 275 tire will sit in almost 1.5” more making for a more subtle flare.  I’d like to run a square setup with 17x9.5 all around.  Have 17x5 with 165/45 tires for drag fronts if final budget allows.  

Finally feeling good enough to get the garage ready.  Next updates will be backwards in time a little bit.  The car got kicked out in haste to prep the Datsun for the Roadkill Ziptie Drags.  Datsun broke there, so after that event it went back inside to get fixed/made better for $2017.  That took every bit of July-October.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/30/17 8:38 a.m.

I just noticed the title update and thought I should see what was going on. I'm not disappointed. Having said that, NOHOME has set the bar pretty high for quality as far as mating two cars, and the Nesons are presently showing us what excellent tinwork looks like. I'm excited to see the details fall into place though I suspect you'll hold some stuff back just to blow our minds in Florida next fall. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/30/17 8:50 a.m.

So Glad you did this, I don't know what to say    Speechless.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/30/17 8:56 a.m.

Are box flares on the horizion ala Chevy IMSA Monza?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/30/17 9:17 a.m.

This is mental.  Moar please.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/30/17 9:40 a.m.

I know a guy that can make really bad flares. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/17 9:44 a.m.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
12/30/17 9:55 a.m.

FYI, there are lots of potential body donors of this part of the Chevy family in the southern part of California.

Going forward the box flairs will be the tell.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/17 9:58 a.m.

I am currently one part "I hate you" for building what I've been thinking about building for several years now

and

one part "I love you" for building what I've been thinking about building for several years now

but I'm also one part "I hate you" because I'm confident you will rob me of my title of highest-placing Corvair.

so, I hate you two thirds.

Also, \mm/ because that's too Metal for one hand!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/17 10:46 a.m.

Beyond that, how will you deal with the wheelbase difference?  

C5 WB = 104.5"  

Corvair WB = 108"  

could split the difference and make it up in wheel arch cutting, or could pull rear wheel openings forward 3.5", A/FX style.

Patrick
12/30/17 10:59 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Beyond that, how will you deal with the wheelbase difference?  

C5 WB = 104.5"  

Corvair WB = 108"  

could split the difference and make it up in wheel arch cutting, or could pull rear wheel openings forward 2.5", A/FX style.

The difference in wheel opening size from dinky corvair wheels to larger modern wheels is taking most of that up.  The rest will be taken up with a subtle wheel arch flare that flows into the body line behind each wheel.  Once i get the smaller wheels on back i can figure those out.  Also will be getting everything put together up front so i know a final ride height. My basis for the entire body mounting location was the base of the windshield because the dash will sit right and this put the rear of the door hole in the same location on both vehicles making it possible to get in and out.  As it sits a quick release hub will be necessary for larger drivers.  The c5’s door hole angles back from the rocker and the corvair is vertical.

this was the closest body I could come up with dimensionally to the chassis that wouldn’t need major surgery or look awkward when completed.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/30/17 11:09 a.m.

You guys know where I stand on chassis swaps and I like this one.  But I lost the thread here, what was the pick-up truck that was on the trailer go?

Pete

Patrick
12/30/17 11:20 a.m.
NOHOME said:

You guys know where I stand on chassis swaps and I like this one.  But I lost the thread here, what was the pick-up truck that was on the trailer go?

Pete

In my yard being used as a shed.  Initially I bought the truck to see if I could make $ with southern pickups in the north.  It was mostly a product of my borrdom and stampie’s willingness to enable. Then challenge subclass was trucks so i figured build it, but when c5 bits would not work without much stupidity I decided to find another body.  I could have dismantled the c5 to just the rolling drivetrain but that seemed like a waste of a perfecty intact vehicle.  Unfortunately for the s10 it’s worth more in parts than whole up here, so it will be sold piece by piece when it gets warm out.  In the end i’m much happier with a corvair than an s10, although i do miss my boxy sonoma.  Honestly if i wanted a little runabout truck again i’d buy a police charger and one of those ute kits.  It’s cheaper than building a proper s10 and way more comfortable too.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
12/30/17 12:23 p.m.

This can only get more awesome.  Subscribed.

Nader
Nader New Reader
12/30/17 12:34 p.m.

I approve.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
12/30/17 12:52 p.m.

Awesome.

coexist
coexist Reader
12/30/17 1:17 p.m.

Looks really great, I am hoping the flaring comes from sectioning and widening the fenders, rather than add ons.

Easy for me to say,

Carry on

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/30/17 3:18 p.m.

Some How In My Mind the Seat would be Way Behind the Door Jamb, And that alone Kept me from pursuing that swap,  Man Was I wrong,!!!!!!!!!!  Awesome

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/17 4:47 p.m.

Now I have an additional  reason to get my V8 Safari to Florida next year.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/30/17 4:52 p.m.

Brilliant.  Looks great.

Patrick
12/30/17 7:02 p.m.

the hood.  did not want to do it but can always find another.  the truck intake manifold was just flat out too tall.  asked around for a cheap LS1 intake but they are few and far between.  I used to get them for $20, now they are $400.  

Used  bracing from behind the original back seat to strengthen the cut

that's all for now.  

Patrick
12/30/17 7:04 p.m.

oh yeah, it's definitely not a frunk anymore

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/30/17 8:20 p.m.

4.8's are what stock hp/lbft?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork