1 2 3 4 ... 9
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/17/20 9:25 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Lug nuts not install yet but preliminary test fit says little to no grinding needed.

Those wheels look identical to a set of wheels I had for my speed3 at one point, that originally came off of a g35. I know they're not the same because the guy I sold them to still lives in mn... But weird. Must have been a tire rack special at some time. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/20 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

These came from wvumtnbkr when he was cleaning out his garage a couple of years back.  He said 15s from an RX7.  I was like sure and then he gives me them with brand new R1Rs on them.  The test fit wheel is dinged up and that tire has a slash in the sidewall but if they work then they work.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/17/20 9:32 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't hate, i just want to hear uncorked vq35 videos

No need for video. Just step out on your porch. Probably hear it from there. 

Im driving a very straight piped v8, but the thought of  that Nissan 6 makes me want to bring hearing protection. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/20 10:51 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

These came from wvumtnbkr when he was cleaning out his garage a couple of years back.  He said 15s from an RX7.  I was like sure and then he gives me them with brand new R1Rs on them.  The test fit wheel is dinged up and that tire has a slash in the sidewall but if they work then they work.

Cool!  I forgot about those wheels!  Glad they will work out for you!

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/20 11:43 a.m.

15x8 Jeep wheels fit with just a front spacer and kiss of the grinder... I still have an extra set lying around.

Stampie (FS)
9/17/20 12:27 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I have a set also since that's what I ran on the Q45. I think these actually clear better. 

Went to the junkyard and grabbed the brackets off the same G35.

I grabbed the bolts and a few clips that hold the hard/soft line connection.  Went to check out and my luck I get the manager.  Most of them would have just said have a nice day but jokes on that motherberker because he missed two bolts and the four clips.

We're starting to get rain from Sally so not sure what I'll get to this afternoon. 

Stampie (FS)
9/17/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yeah it was one of those things like will I ever need them and then all of a sudden they're perfect for this project. Thanks again.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/17/20 1:34 p.m.

why is there an enviro charge? you're using them instead of them being crushed. you should get an enviro credit.

Stampie (FS)
9/17/20 1:53 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Because the man always wants his dime.

I got a little break in the weather. He he get it?  A break to do brakes ... Ok I'm a dad so sue me.  Of course things are as rosy as I thought.  First I happened to notice that the wheel hub isn't big enough..

Ok I still got options.  Grab a Jeep wheel and holy cow does it hot the caliper 

So the first set of wheels are still the better choice   I set it back on and as I roll it around it does a hard stop.  I look inside and there's weights.  Ok but they were no where near the caliper.  Even have some witness spots.

I start looking around the wheel and there we are. It's the steering bump stop. 

Ok I can deal with that. Either grind down that corner or remove it.  Decided I needed some small spacers so I'm going to order those and we'll revisit the wheels once they come in.

TLDR it took me all day to put on one rotor and caliper and I even failed to get the wheel on.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/20 2:51 p.m.

Jeep wheels are NOT all the same.  I have 4 other jeep wheels you can have.  They have used 225 45 15 rs4 on them in decent shape.

I will be heading to Orlando on the 8th if you would want them.

Stampie (FS)
9/17/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

These that you gave me are real close to working.  It's just a process.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/17/20 5:13 p.m.
barefootskater said:
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't hate, i just want to hear uncorked vq35 videos

No need for video. Just step out on your porch. Probably hear it from there. 

Im driving a very straight piped v8, but the thought of  that Nissan 6 makes me want to bring hearing protection. 

The uncorked rotary in the 944 and the busa sambar are probably louder. Not by much. 

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 7:53 a.m.

I'm back on it this morning. First I decided that I'd grind down the steering stop for clearance. I cranked it over to full lock to see where it was hitting the numb and ...

Yep it doesn't hit. Let's just yank that thing off. Now that it was gone time to lovingly wash the rotor in Dawn (forgot who here taught me that) and put the pads in.

And that is how Team Stampie takes 24 hours to do the brakes on one corner of the car. 

Stay tuned for another exciting episode of old man working slow. 

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 8:31 a.m.

In proving that you can teach an old man new tricks front passenger side only took 30 minutes.

Amazing learning curve.

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 8:45 a.m.

Rain clouds rolling in but before that happened I decided to clean up the front.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/20 10:05 a.m.

Tell me more about the dawn, and what the purpose is. Also, I sent you a message through the board yesterday, did you get it?

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/20 10:26 a.m.

I also had to remove that steering stop bracket for the Jeep wheels to fit. Haven't missed it yet. I think your Jeeps are only 15x7, while mine are 15x8. 245/40R15's work well on the wider ones. Should clear rear without any work, but front needs a 1" spacer like a mentioned. Front caliper needed a bit of grinder too.

If you're worried about hub centering, I used these hub-centric aluminum rings for my Jeep wheels. I only paid $11.99 though.

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 11:09 a.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:

Tell me more about the dawn, and what the purpose is. Also, I sent you a message through the board yesterday, did you get it?

It gets the grease off the rotors. Same as cleaning the rotor with brake cleaner except it feels more loving towards the rotor. 

I got your email and replied. If you didn't get the reply my number is F250 then 6003 in the code of 904.

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 11:13 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Maybe so but these wheels don't need much to work at all.

I did the passenger rear. The old rotor was stuck on but nothing a little heat and hammer couldn't fix. There was also a little part of the dust shield that needed a tap with the hammer also.

If you remember last spring the drivers rear wheel decided to divorce the car.  Here are the lugs from that wheel. 

Yeah those will be getting replaced after lunch. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/20 11:36 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

It gets the grease off the rotors. Same as cleaning the rotor with brake cleaner except it feels more loving towards the rotor. 

I got your email and replied. If you didn't get the reply my number is F250 then 6003 in the code of 904.

There it is, stupid spam filter. Should fix the hub to wheel interference, just need to make sure you torque down the lugs progressively to make sure they center the wheel properly.

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 1:47 p.m.

I got three new studs in and then on the fourth it spun on me. Mother berk me running.

Not easy to cut a wheel stud.

Knurling bad in the hub.

I'm done for the day.

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 1:50 p.m.

Oh and if the Advance guy is reading ... I'm sorry I yelled at you for not having my order ready on time. Your store has really gone down hill since the good manager left. 

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 2:37 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks and let me know how much shipping is. 

Stampie (FS) said:

Just watch out for dishpan-hands...

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 3:39 p.m.

Cost for locally available new plus time for reasonably priced not local says I'll be junkyarding one tomorrow morning.

1 2 3 4 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vfkGq68llOWEoecjEz8VSM3RHq0PC16xPz6NhdlF4EYi2O3f7Vk6eaemYaHqKyli