fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
9/30/16 11:52 a.m.

Regret I didn't follow this build.

As Edd would say... result.

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
9/30/16 9:41 p.m.

Thank you everyone who supported us along the way. We are so stoked to have participated in such an awesome event with some really GREAT people. Thanks to a fellow participant, we were able to borrow some rear tires and lay down a respectable 4th in the autocross. We went from 13th to 4th... Holy crap! For those of you wondering or considering, bias ply drag slicks suck at autocross! We needed the money for our build, so we sold our Hoosier A6's and Corvette rims we bought last year, but that was a huge mistake. The beat up extreme summer 275/40r 17's we borrowed took 2+ seconds off our time, that tells you what a little tire can do for your autocross times. In the drags we we were loose like crazy on the first run and I seriously thought we might hit the wall. I stayed with it and we ended up blowing a head gasket when we hit 3rd gear. Even without nitrous, we managed a 13.0 which put us 5th overall in the drags. We are looking forward to the concourse tomorrow, best of luck everyone! Team T-Bone.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/30/16 10:41 p.m.

I bet you're looking forward to the concourse! Great job. The car looks phenomenal. Never would have predicted that looking at the plywood foot box.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/1/16 5:43 a.m.

In reply to rich911s:

I was puckering up watching you from the stands on that pass.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
10/3/16 5:46 p.m.

Having now seen the body pics, please show the parts of the build that you kept under wraps!

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
10/3/16 6:20 p.m.

Interested in how the body was constructed or did I miss that. Fiberglass, plywood... or?

Looks damn good btw

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/3/16 6:50 p.m.

Yes. I want to do this. As a street car. Please show all the dirty details.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
10/4/16 7:27 a.m.

Can you shed some more light on how you did the rear engine conversion? namely, how is power transmitted from the motor to the wheels?

what transmission? stock? then you just used a REALLY short driveshaft to teh diff?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/16 11:43 a.m.

Wow I gotta say this turned out way better than I was expecting! I was thinking "this project's ambition is writing cheques that the time, planning and budget can't cash," but you more than made it in the end!

So from what I saw on the Challenge live feed it looks like the frame was greatly modified from what we've seen so far in this thread - looked like a fully tube-framed car to me.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/5/16 6:33 a.m.

Holy mother of Berk. We are not worthy. Pics, pics and more pics please.

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/15/16 6:15 p.m.

Here are some pics of the body build.

(Almost) Finished product:

Compared to Our Inspiration:

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/15/16 6:31 p.m.

Tilt body worked very well for us maintaining the car, etc. I wish all cars came this way!

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/15/16 6:34 p.m.

Everyone wanted to know why we changed the car number from 20 to 42 ... because it's the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. What can I say, I'm a child of the 80's.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/15/16 6:50 p.m.

none of the pictures show for me.....

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/16/16 7:37 a.m.

Sorry, I re-hosted and re-posted them ... looks like google+ no longer working for forum posts.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/16/16 8:25 a.m.

How much did the body weigh and did you notice any flexing at speed that indicates that it would tear itself to pieces? Any chance to take it to a big track and see what times it could run, say the UTCC?

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/16/16 7:44 p.m.

The body only weighs 130 lbs. I didn't notice any flexing, and we had it up to 130 mph on 3 or 4 occasions. However, it ate a bunch of cones and they did some damage to the plywood on the nose. The 2.5 mm plywood is really fragile. I would not consider UTCC because we have no ABS, I am uncomfortable with the single chain drive steering (double would be minimum), and I would want a real cage ... I can't weld worth a crap and I'd be the first thing to hit the wall. I think we will look at another car for that venue!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/28/17 9:40 a.m.

Bringing this up again as it's still the coolest creation in the GRM universe.  Is it going back to the Challenge again this year?  If so any changes?

Also, we still need more pics.  There is no such thing as too many pics of this beast.  

What did the dimensions come out as in the end?  Length, Width, Wheelbase, height?  Did it get weighed? 

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
9/28/17 10:09 a.m.

Cool build.  If going IRS the c5 Vette transmission bolts to the Diff.  The torque tube can be eliminated and the engine can bolt to the tranny. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/17 10:32 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Bringing this up again as it's still the coolest creation in the GRM universe.  Is it going back to the Challenge again this year?  If so any changes?

Also, we still need more pics.  There is no such thing as too many pics of this beast.  

What did the dimensions come out as in the end?  Length, Width, Wheelbase, height?  Did it get weighed? 

I'd hope that there'd be a lot of changes before it comes back. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/28/17 3:20 p.m.

Did it get sold to some random dealer to use as a display piece? 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/28/17 6:52 p.m.

As Stated ,so very Kool.   But REALLY showed some Loop holes In Challenge rule book. think about what a bigger budget could produce........... Wait a Moment, those guy's say they are Carpenters, Kinda glad they are.     

Kudo's Guy's

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/17 6:57 p.m.
mndsm said:

Did it get sold to some random dealer to use as a display piece? 

It was for sale at a secondhand shop in deland with blown engine if I recall 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5IPcRIdTxlDrg2qzq0cnnwHe60fwM4I5s44voKKZvnJadC8YB5bGfTUwh7cdaBOi