1 2 3 4
N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
2/16/18 4:52 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadCougarTim :

I put around 12 to 15k on the diff before changing the fluid. I would have done it earlier but I kept putting it off. 

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
3/17/18 11:17 p.m.

Welp. Cryo Treated Timing chain, cam sproket, BSH Catch can, tensioner, updated timing chain guides and timing chain cover seals replaced. The engine no longer leaks ANY oil. Only the power steering hoses. :p

I also replaced the belt tensioner. Take a look at the pics to see how close I was to ruining my Harmonic balancer. 

*Shudders* 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/18/18 6:56 a.m.

Nice! Can't wait to do that job as well.  I need to keep an eye out for a special on an ATI Superdamper.  Apparently makes a noticeable difference in engine smoothness.

Bought new tires for mine and had them mounted and waiting for the car to come home from storage. Probably at the end of the month.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
3/18/18 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I'd recommend the 2% oversize ATI Damper that's exclusive to Way Motor works for that extra kick in power. If not than check out summit racing for the regular one. They USUALLY have better prices.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/18/18 5:27 p.m.

Tempting... but a 2% pulley would knock me out of STX and since that was one of the main reasons I bought a factory JCW car, I'll wait until I have a big reason to jump to a different class before going with a larger crank pulley. 

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
3/18/18 5:54 p.m.

If that's the case than it's not worth it. I don't do Autocross for the competition since my mods move me to DSP. I just figured that the damper isn't cheap. So I might aswell go all out so I don't have any regrets. Especially since I'm not interested in a supercharger pulley for the time being.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/19/18 5:43 a.m.

Yeah... the big downside of the R53 for autocross is most of the common mods done to the engine bump the car into Street Mod FWD where you have to spend cubic $ or it gets obliterated by Hondas.  Annoying since it's no different than electronically increasing boost in Street Prepared.... but it is what it is. 

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
3/19/18 1:48 p.m.

First break down. Shifter cable broke. Two new cables ordered and a Helix short shifter kit ordered as well. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/19/18 2:02 p.m.

Oh that's fun.  On the good side, you just had the exhaust off, so it shouldn't be hard to do.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Helix SSK.  Makes the shifting a little too notchy for my tastes.  I installed more of those than I can remember back when these cars were new... It only shortens the fore-aft distance. Doesn't change side-side at all.

If you can beg/borrow the MINI cable end disconnect tool, it makes the task a lot easier.  Unfortunately, it looks like it's only available from MINI.  Even Baum Tools doesn't list it.  It's part number 234 010, if that helps any.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
3/19/18 4:45 p.m.

I've used curved needle nose pliers with great success on those cables during my diff install. 

I destroyed the cover to the cables when trying to remove it so I just bought the Helix kit because everything was apart already. I'll get the cravenspeed kit soon.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
5/1/18 9:53 p.m.

Update...Coilovers ordered and on back order until the middle of may...yay.

In the meantime I gots me some Straight from Japan, actually get two, JDM Hella swag shizzle dingdong....or whatever the kids say these days...in the form of Cusco power braces. The rears are installed, the fronts are in the mail.

Also I had installed the Brake ducts I had laying around forever. They look Hobo-Joe-ish but the damper or Axles don't touch and I haven't had any issues with clearance in other areas. So I call it a victory.

I also purchased a new helmet for the next Auto-x Events.

[/url]

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/2/18 7:45 a.m.

What coilovers did you decide on? I'm pondering a set for next year.   I'm hoping to max out the wheel size and to fit up front I may need coilovers.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
5/2/18 7:50 a.m.

BC Racing DR series with Swift springs.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
5/4/18 5:12 p.m.

The DR has digressive pistons. Supposed to help with low speed cornering

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
5/27/18 12:22 a.m.

Few more bits here and there. Hotchkis 25.5mm RSB and four Trailing arm camber links. WMW Xbrace, Whiteline Sway bar stoppers, Alta endlinks front and back. Prepped the R56 Trailing arms with new Timken bearings and Bosch speed sensors. Still waiting on my OTHER Cusco brace and coilovers.

I did an Autox in January Won my class (DSP) although there was only one other person in said class lol.

http://autox.carlc.com/results/2018/2018-01-21/final.html

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
6/8/18 10:06 a.m.

Final Cusco braces installed. With all these braces installed the car feels weird in a good way. It feels much more confident through the corners. Before my torso would move side to side when cornering due to the crap seats and taking an on ramp aggressively would have me leaning over to brace myself. With these braces installed there is much less lean and it's much less stressful through corners.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
6/8/18 10:19 p.m.

My new OEM Leather hand brake boot and handle came in. MUCH better than the cheap feeling torn plastic crap.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
6/10/18 11:11 p.m.

After today's autox I can say that the braces are 1000% worth it. I felt fully confident with where the car was going and felt exactly what my crap stock suspension was doing. Had to do a lot of trail braking to compensate for the stock RSB. In short, these braces make the body communicative enough for you to feel confident in going flat out but is also makes you notice how crappy or great your current suspension is. 

It's really good.

The results are below. I'm in class DSP.

https://www.erscc.com/livetiming/

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GKiff3i6foHuW4RfMbppaCjk4Qm4VdYwluJLqBi6A08qeICarUT8owotR4MpbbZS