1 2 3 ... 6
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/26/16 11:39 a.m.

So if anyone wasn't paying attention, I purchased a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed and it's quite, well, red.

Now I was expecting an 8 year old truck with 227k on the odo to not be perfect, and it isn't. It has typical GMT900 switchgear issues and some minor TLC to make this truck nice again. I know this isn't as interesting as much as most the stuff on the board, but this is my way of keeping track of what I'm fixing.

Now, the first thing I noticed was that none of the windows would go down unless it was done by the master switch on the drivers door. The mirror switch didn't work, nor did the door lock switch. So I got a hold of some used switches that I knew worked, switched them out and everything works like it should now. However, in taking apart the door, I find this:

That's right, two stainless wood screws used to hold in the door switch. Apparently someone just didn't want to fix the switch properly.

Anyways, last night after putting about 300 miles on the truck, the CEL has graced me with its presence and I need to go find out what it is, because I need to get that fixed before I go get a DOT inspection. Being emissions related, hopefully it's just a o2 sensor.

I'll update as I progress!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/26/16 4:18 p.m.

When do we get coal rolling vids?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/26/16 5:09 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/26/16 5:13 p.m.

Oooh, stainless, not your more pedestrian mild steel or galvanized. Fancy as berk!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/26/16 6:28 p.m.

Yeah, all the wood screws in my truck were standard crap and all rusty. Stainless is high end.

Gl on the cel.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/27/16 6:52 p.m.

So went to O'Reillys and had them scan the truck. Says it lost communication with the BCM. Sounds about right, because it came on after I went too fast over a rough railroad crossing.

I'll just disconnect the batteries tonight. That should fix the CEL.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/27/16 9:41 p.m.

Wow I've only been remotely close to 200k in a car that I bought with 147k on it and it was ten years old. Still only had 175k after 5yrs before someone rear ended me and totaled it. Amazed at only 8 yrs it has over 227k on it. That's a lot of travelling. Still looks good and the staters should have no problems spotting you as you go zipping on by.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
3/27/16 10:30 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: So went to O'Reillys and had them scan the truck. Says it lost communication with the BCM. Sounds about right, because it came on after I went too fast over a rough railroad crossing. I'll just disconnect the batteries tonight. That should fix the CEL.

Just bring it here, I have a code reader!

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
3/28/16 9:04 a.m.

Not a bad looking truck. I miss having my crew cab long bed.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/28/16 9:32 a.m.

Well this is aggravating, I disconnected both batteries for about 30 minutes today and the CEL is still on.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
3/28/16 9:38 a.m.
mndsm wrote: When do we get coal rolling vids?

Hopefully never.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/28/16 9:43 a.m.

Dumb question...The BCM is still plugged in, right?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/28/16 11:00 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Everything is still working, so I would hope so. I'm going to locate it and make sure the connections are clean. This thing has A LOT of hidden Texas dust.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/29/16 6:50 p.m.

So I found out today that my Hydroboost unit is leaking, which I know DOT won't like. I don't really have the time to rebuild it, so I'll just buy a remanned unit. I found one on RockAuto for $127.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
4/17/16 10:47 p.m.

So I got the hydroboost replaced. The brakes still work!

One of the requirements at my new job is that I have wheel well mudflaps. I also have to have one of those ridiculous full length ones, but I will acquire that later.

So first I needed some mud flaps:

Then I got the wheels off, which I found the passenger side wheel wasn't torqued to where it should have been.

The Mudflaps were not as wide as I thought when I put the first one on, so I ended up with Rally Spec looking flaps.

So I moved them inboard and they came out a lot better.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/18/16 8:58 a.m.

Are you hot shotting? That's the only reason I could see you being required to have one of those full length mudflaps.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
4/18/16 9:16 a.m.

Wow never had a job that required any modifications to my personal rig. Interesting to say the least. Must be a good job to have to do that even though not that big of a deal really. Just have a hard time with any company dictating what I do in my spare time or vehicle is all.

java230
java230 HalfDork
4/18/16 12:16 p.m.

You know they need safety wire so you cant back over them!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/18/16 12:28 p.m.
camaroz1985 wrote: Are you hot shotting? That's the only reason I could see you being required to have one of those full length mudflaps.

He's permanently going on vacation...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/16 2:45 p.m.
java230 wrote: You know they need safety wire so you cant back over them!

I ripped one off the Samurai the other day, I'll have to look into this.

Back to Big Red.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
4/18/16 8:07 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
camaroz1985 wrote: Are you hot shotting? That's the only reason I could see you being required to have one of those full length mudflaps.
He's permanently going on vacation...

Yes John is correct. I am going to be hot shotting travel trailers.

Today Big Red got gaudy.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
4/18/16 10:34 p.m.

Where is the chrome nekid ladies?!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
4/19/16 5:55 a.m.

In reply to nepa03focus:

Out of stock.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
4/19/16 7:06 a.m.

I had to google hot shotting.

I'd be pretty interested to hear how this works out for you.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
4/22/16 10:14 p.m.

Well got to take Red out on his first run.

He also had his first issue. The center carrier mount for the driveshaft decided it was a good time for the rubber to fall apart, so I had a driveline vibration most of my trip.

I have to find out if this is pressed on the driveshaft of if it's something that just slides on.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYh49od2Iobg0AJRlSGZ4YICUxK4qRE4wysJcH2mRWyG9A3ebf3hCoMepiwGWjB3