1 2 3 4
Kramer
Kramer Dork
6/23/18 5:53 p.m.

If you're removing both exhaust manifolds, temporarily swap sides, upside down.  Then you only have one hole to plug.  Soak with Simple Green, wash and paint.  

Why not use the TBI heads?  That will help fix the oil leaks (sort of) and fix your bracket hole issue.  You'll need new exhaust manifolds, though.  

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
6/23/18 8:00 p.m.

That's an interesting idea about remounting and swapping the manifolds.

I'm pretty sure using the TBI heads would also mean using the intake manifold as well as the exhaust manifolds. Ultimately, I have to draw the line somewhere. I decided to draw mine at keeping the original block, heads, intake, exhaust, and engine internals. I may replace them later when I've got some more money available. A better camshaft would probably be nice too. But later.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
6/23/18 8:53 p.m.

Purple power and a good brush will clean the oil off really nicely. I'd just stuff some rags in the exhaust ports and once you've cleaned it with purple power just rinse off with a hose. Then if you have a compressor and a little air wand blow out any moisture left in the ports.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
7/10/18 6:32 p.m.

More wiring progress. It is completely un-loomed to make tracing wiring easier. I'll replace it after I'm done.

And this is about where I am now. Pages of wiring diagrams, a label maker, and wiring everywhere. It's a big elephant to eat. But I'll feel better when I'm done and everything is identified and labeled. It will make it a lot easier to install.

I also took some time to disassemble, clean, and rebuild the throttle body with fresh gaskets.

It's now in the growing stash of good, clean parts to bolt onto the engine. Speaking of, I need to finish up those block off plates and get the motor and engine bay clean.

Until next time.

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
7/21/18 11:52 a.m.

Last update for a while. My goal up until recently was to have the truck ready to go by October to tow the race van to the $2018 Challenge. I realized last week that scope creep had reared its head and my to do list for the truck was huge. I wrote it all out to confirm my thoughts:

Yep, that looks like a paint job away from a full frame-off restoration. There is no way I'm getting that done in time and still have a life outside the garage. Let alone actually enjoy the work. This is my hobby. I want it to be fun. I also want to take my time and do things right the first time. So I'm going to step away from this for awhile. I'll borrow or rent a truck for the Challenge trip.

Now that doesn't mean that the work will come to a complete stop. I've still got the wiring harness spread out all over the floor in the basement and a few parts left to clean and paint. And I'm still really committed to this truck and making it realiable and even better than it came off of the assembly line down the road in Flint, Michigan.

Before I stepped back though, I needed to make the truck more stable for storage. I finished the block off plates and covered any other openings in the engine bay. Then I packed up all of the loose parts and put them in the bed.

Now I can focus on getting the van ready for the Challenge which includes a really elaborate paint job. And you know what? I'm really excited to dig into that and get it done!

-Sean

trikepapa
trikepapa
8/28/18 9:31 p.m.

Hey Howdy Y'all,

Nice looking truck Sean. I was just surfing the Ole Interweb looking for some hints on parts I'll need to refurb the driveline in my 76 Chevy C20 Camper Special, and darn if I didn't stumble onto your build thread. I didn't miss a step in joining your forum. I've had mine about 10 years now, and although the old girl was rust free when I bought her out in Phoenix AZ, she was definitely sun baked. The decade spent cruising around here in Northern KY has started taking it's toll. I just finished putting a GM 350 crate motor in, and having the TH350 tranny rebuilt and now I'm ready to tackle the rest of the driveline. Any advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated, and I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread.

RonC

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/29/18 7:52 a.m.

welcome, Ron.  Dang, that's one bright truck!  i've lived in the Detroit area for 25 years now, so I get pretty jealous when I see cab corners and rocker panels and bed sides.  we don't have those things here.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/29/18 10:22 a.m.

Agreed. That's a very bright yellow.

I don't have much to give in the way of driveline advise. All I've done to  mine at this point is tear things apart and clean them. Still working on that reassembly part. The best thing you can do is start a build thread of your own and ask some questions there. Everyone here is very helpful.

trikepapa
trikepapa New Reader
8/29/18 10:51 a.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

10-4 on the build thread Sean, an yes, I do like them bright.

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
QgBkfObwX7cgHcGMqiX7LNUPd7pnYvuXhLsfT82hM6SsFdYQ958a1z8EDmALLdk1