1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
12/23/17 6:00 p.m.

Old one:

New one:

well, that's not right.

Crummy. that vent hole is clocked about 90 off and won't attach to the hose... I've got another on the way, we'll see what happens.

AClockworkGarage
1/6/18 11:56 a.m.

Second motor arrived, same as the first. Now I have two useless motors.

Picked up a 36mm front bar with greasable poly bushings and a set of 1LE springs, they should be here next week sometime. Now I just need shocks/struts.

Trying to decide between KYB AGX and Koni Yellows. The Konis win on a performance front hands down, but they'll set me back almost $800 for a set. I guess we'll see how much overtime I get.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/18 12:22 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

IME the AGX really were a disappointment. I'd choose a good non-adjustable shock over those.

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
1/6/18 1:20 p.m.

Can you cut the hose and find some fitting to make it fit?

AClockworkGarage
1/6/18 3:37 p.m.

I'm probably just going to rebuild the original one. grease it and put new bearings in.

As for the AGXs, I run them in my GP and Im pretty happy with them, but I know they aren't up to the same quality level of the Konis.

I may split the difference and do Konis front and something cheap in the rear, then upgrade to the Konis later, since the rears are easy to change.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/6/18 7:55 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

Old one:

New one:

well, that's not right.

Crummy. that vent hole is clocked about 90 off and won't attach to the hose... I've got another on the way, we'll see what happens.

I'd say hit NAPA for the right motor if you don't end up rebuilding yours. I had to change mine in 2013 and am pretty sure it came from NAPA (has it already been 5 years?). Mine isn't an A/C delete car, but the motor's hole is clocked the correct way for your application. But the round and flat parts of the lip that mounts to the housing are in different place on mine... sorta... hmmm... maybe you might end up having to redrill the mounting screw holes. These are the kind of little annoying running changes you usually see a lot more on Fords.

Pete Gossett
1/7/18 6:19 a.m.

Koni FSD would be a good option if they offer them for your car.

AClockworkGarage
1/9/18 10:29 p.m.

Well the big boy is here:

That massive bar and some stiff springs... this is what my future looks like:

I also picked up a couple of decals and a T-shirt...

If the weather is nice this weekend I might crawl under the car and slap that bar on, maybe swap out the starter. We'll see how it goes.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
1/9/18 10:36 p.m.

Engine bay looks great! what size are those sway bars? what springs are you going to run?

AClockworkGarage
1/10/18 10:17 a.m.

The bar is a 36mm, the springs are 89 Iroc-Z springs. Should be the same as your WS6 stuff.

And I just got an Email from cam nation. They don't have my shirt, in my colour in my size. Harumph.

AClockworkGarage
1/12/18 11:17 p.m.

I got a box:

It was... Spring loaded.

See what I did there?

Anyway my springs are here.

I've decided to not dick around and just get the Koni dampers. Gonna have to spread it out over a couple paychecks though... I think that's the last thing I need for my basic suspension upgrades.  

I'd like to get an adjustable torque arm that's crossmember mounted with a driveshaft loop, and maybe UMI's watts link setup... but that's probably not going to happen before this season. Or ever...

AClockworkGarage
1/13/18 6:39 p.m.

What a great day. 50 degrees and not raining. Kilt weather!

Not letting this go to waste I crawled under the car to replace the starter, but it's up there good. Hiding behind the y-pipe. Gonna wait until have it on a lift to tackle that. Gotta do something and I've already got the front end up...

Yup... that.

lets get that old one out, which was actually easy...

Hard to tell from this pic...

...but there is a big difference.

That's the view from underneath, the black bar is the UMI steering brace that connects the front rails together and cuts down on twisting. should make it plenty tight in conjunction with the triangulated strut bar.

here's the view from the side:

and from the top:

I do love bolting shiny E36 M3 to regular old E36 M3.

Pete Gossett
1/13/18 6:41 p.m.

Nice!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/13/18 6:58 p.m.

Looks really great Jay! Good call on the Konis. The cry once option is almost always the better bet.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/14/18 7:57 p.m.

What size was your stock bar? 30mm?

AClockworkGarage
1/14/18 8:10 p.m.

30 or 31 yeah.

AClockworkGarage
1/20/18 2:50 p.m.

A box! 

What's in it?

More boxes!

So I picked up the rears, the fronts will come with my next check if I can manage the overtime, next two checks if I can't.

I also ripped some more crap out from under the hood. The Nasty yellowed washer fluid reservoir that I'm never going to use is now sitting in a box. Now I've got a slightly cleaner spot...

Here's how it looks today.

I want to get a nice fabricated overflow tank for the other side, but at $160 it's going to have to wait a while.

It's a long slow march but we'll get there.

Pete Gossett
1/20/18 4:32 p.m.

Awesome progress.

AClockworkGarage
2/3/18 3:04 p.m.

I thought I'd take the Camaro down to Tacoma for cars and coffee. Got up early and uncovered the car, cleaned everything up and she wouldn't start.

one little brrriiipt and then nothing... carp.

Oh well, I was supposed to meet some people there so I hopped in the GP and went anyway.

While I was there I picked these up for $80.

I've always loved these. Gotta find a press in breather and we'll be in business. 

AClockworkGarage
2/10/18 2:22 p.m.

Great news!

My Koni fronts showed up. I've got everything I need right now.

More Great news!

I hurt my neck again!

wait. that's not good news at all. I'm on light duty for a while. I'd intended to try and swap the starter this weekend but ouch. No.

I did need a win though. so I grabbed those vintage covers. It was hard to find a push in breather that looked right but I think I got one.

yeah, that looks fine.

A lot of crap in the way but I was determined to do it without removing the strut brace.

yeah...

Ooooh yeah...

It didn't make the car run, but I did spend about 30 minutes staring at it afterwards.

AClockworkGarage
2/10/18 2:28 p.m.

Also: this.

AClockworkGarage
2/17/18 5:16 p.m.

I GOT THE NEW SUSPENSION IN THE CAR!!!!

that counts right?

With my neck giving me trouble again I made arrangements to have the install handled by a friend. I hate paying to have the work done, but at least that money is getting funneled directly into his project T-Type instead of going to some shop.

That being said, I saw her off today.

hopefully by the time she's better, I'll be better too.

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
2/17/18 6:58 p.m.

I really enjoy watching this car progress.  Take 'er easy and get better! You'll be beating up on mustangs soon enough!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/19/18 12:05 p.m.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Koni shocks, and I wish you a speedy recovery!!

AClockworkGarage
2/19/18 12:58 p.m.

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately it's just going to be one of those things that I'm just going to have to deal with forever. 

As for the shocks, it's going to be hard to tell what the shocks do, soncd there are so many mods happining at one time. It'll be hard to attribute it to one thing. 

I was somewhat disappointed in them just from the first visual inspection. it looks like the rears cannot be adjusted while installed. kinda lousy.

He should be getting started on it this coming weekend, then I'll take it up to Doug at Chase Race to get it aligned. Still looking fIr a good set of alignment specs.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PY7ok9NSIXLIyvBI2MvpFGtW1h9l9fe5Vh25lovLwbDnMnUuBXozuAve0zMbbVSi