1 2 3 4
NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
4/23/17 9:10 p.m.

With my 16th birthday looming in 3 days, today I took delivery of my first car. A 2006 Ford Ranger. Its got the all powerful 2.3l duratec 4 cylinder backed by an automatic transmission (just better for drag racing, right?)

This isn't gonna be a "build" per say but more a log of the small tweaks I make to my truck and the adventures I go on with my new found freedom.

Here are some pictures of the beast for the time being.

While I've done a load of research, any little tips or tidbits of information y'all have about these wonderful trucks would be awesome!

Let the fun begin

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
4/23/17 9:12 p.m.

Looks like you've got a good one! Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy it. That's just the right size truck, good for almost anything (including commuting!)

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/23/17 10:13 p.m.

I find this to be an idea starter and a great choice for your current stage.
It looks very clean. You should be proud of it!
Congrats.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/17 10:38 p.m.

Challengable? I happen to know someone that'll let you borrow nice wide autocross tires for it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
4/24/17 7:47 a.m.

My best driving adventures and adventures in general were had in a 2wd 4cyl Ranger. I got my money's worth out of it for sure and it went places it never should have and back again.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
4/24/17 8:12 a.m.
Stampie wrote: Challengable? I happen to know someone that'll let you borrow nice wide autocross tires for it.

I'm not sure how that would work, it was my grandad's truck that he gave me. Would I go by FMV?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/24/17 8:46 a.m.

I don't know if the South shall rise again, but I'm jealous of your rocker panels and cab corners and bed sides. Congratulations on the ride! You're in the right place for advice, no doubt about that.

einy
einy Reader
4/24/17 7:31 p.m.

wow ... super clean looking! Have fun with this one!

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/24/17 7:41 p.m.

my first truck was a 94 ford ranger enjoy it.

Stampie
4/24/17 7:58 p.m.
NoPermitNeeded wrote:
Stampie wrote: Challengable? I happen to know someone that'll let you borrow nice wide autocross tires for it.
I'm not sure how that would work, it was my grandad's truck that he gave me. Would I go by FMV?

Yes FMV it. Use the stock tires for drags. My autocross tires can be your free set and I have $100 in the wheels. So as long as FMV is under $1917 you're good.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
4/24/17 8:35 p.m.
Stampie wrote:
NoPermitNeeded wrote:
Yes FMV it. Use the stock tires for drags. My autocross tires can be your free set and I have $100 in the wheels. So as long as FMV is under $1917 you're good.

Just checked, it sits just around 3k so no cigar... but I fully plan on coming to the challenge either this year or next year

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/24/17 9:46 p.m.

2.3l dura is very similar to 2.3 mzr. I havemt been able to confirm, but I know a disi is a relatively easy swap into a regular 3 ( was a small part of said swap years ago) and I suspect a disi would be possible into a 4 banger ranger. Find a cx7 with a lunched automagic for peanuts and proceed.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/24/17 9:48 p.m.
NoPermitNeeded wrote:
Stampie wrote:
NoPermitNeeded wrote:
Just checked, it sits just around 3k so no cigar... but I fully plan on coming to the challenge either this year or next year

You meant to type 1916, right? Looks like 1916 to me.

Stampie
4/24/17 10:26 p.m.

In reply to NoPermitNeeded:

If you just wanna crew this year we can always use help.

In reply to mndsm:

I think you've had to many of those unlimited nachos. This year is 2017.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/24/17 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

I'm trying to give him a dollar to move the budget around some and open the trade cap.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/24/17 11:00 p.m.

Nice ride good luck with it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/25/17 6:35 a.m.
mndsm wrote: 2.3l dura is very similar to 2.3 mzr. I havemt been able to confirm, but I know a disi is a relatively easy swap into a regular 3 ( was a small part of said swap years ago) and I suspect a disi would be possible into a 4 banger ranger. Find a cx7 with a lunched automagic for peanuts and proceed.

I'd avoid that- for a first car, that kind of swap would be a little over anyone's head. As for similar vs. same- the DI engines from Mazda were pretty different than the standard MZR/Duratec engines. We looked into using them, too, for other things (a Turbo Focus back in 2005).

If anything, I'd swap over a set of cams from a 2.3l car, as the truck cams had lower lift and duration.

Other than that, learn to work and drive.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/25/17 6:50 a.m.

Who is your local rallycross group and do they allow small trucks? Too bad you're in the south, early AM winter parking lot doughnut​s are one of the great joys of Ranger ownership.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/17 7:28 a.m.

My brother put almost 300,000 miles on a similar truck he bought in college. They are really good, easy to maintain, little trucks. Congrats.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/25/17 7:43 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

You underestimate empty parking lots in the rain.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/25/17 7:47 a.m.

Since you are on this board...the Focus 2.3 Duratec is the one to have...tell me more!

There is some external dimension issues you would need to solve for some of the FWD vs RWD (ie Focus vs Ranger) stuff but the internals are the same.

The Locost boards are always very helpful as the 2.3 Duratec is a VERY popular engine (given the 2.0 Duratec is the Caterham engine)

This is meant as an FYI and not to be enabling in any way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/25/17 7:48 a.m.

That truck needs this sticker, with the Ranger badge right in the middle:

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/25/17 8:11 a.m.

That right there looks like the PERFECT first vehicle. Simple, cheap to run, can haul your stuff, and has mod potential. Not to mention it looks brand new. Nice!

And yes, I've also read about Duratec/MZR mods. I'm a big fan of the MZR, and these trucks have crossed my mind as a potential modding platform in the future.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
4/25/17 8:16 a.m.

Nice, that thing looks brand new! Your Ranger is a lot nicer than my Ranger. Now go find a gravel parking lot and do some donuts

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/25/17 9:33 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
mndsm wrote: 2.3l dura is very similar to 2.3 mzr. I havemt been able to confirm, but I know a disi is a relatively easy swap into a regular 3 ( was a small part of said swap years ago) and I suspect a disi would be possible into a 4 banger ranger. Find a cx7 with a lunched automagic for peanuts and proceed.
I'd avoid that- for a first car, that kind of swap would be a little over anyone's head. As for similar vs. same- the DI engines from Mazda were pretty different than the standard MZR/Duratec engines. We looked into using them, too, for other things (a Turbo Focus back in 2005). If anything, I'd swap over a set of cams from a 2.3l car, as the truck cams had lower lift and duration. Other than that, learn to work and drive.

Good to know . There's a lot of dirt cheap rangers here, and I like me some disi.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LLhCzliQs9K1kg9xhmCdTEUL13aeTkOn8rbjJRVkHfu9sLF4QJmAMwoBtScTSsyR