1 2
Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/11/18 5:23 p.m.

Just for fun. Direct injection pistons from ford,toyota,bmw, and Subaru. Last one is a pop up d.i piston. Mazda skyactive

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/11/18 5:29 p.m.

The 10.5 to 1 Alfa Romeo pop up pistons.grrat as 1960s tech can be,are not as well designed as the newer piston, as well as the metallurgy,of the new stuff

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/11/18 5:35 p.m.

The Alfa Romeo  engine is of great design. Not to many if any had all the same features . I will post photos of my pistons and con rods, when i get home

And they are far lighter than my old Alfa Romeo pistons and rods

Oh,yes, this is a civil discussion.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/11/18 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

FWIW, the piston shape is more about the combustion system than anything else. Getting lighter rods and pistons are easy for an Alfa, but the dome is because of the valve size and angle as opposed to “old tech”. 

And the cost to improvement number is pretty significant to me, as there are few modern 2.0 l na engines that make the swap effort worth it to me. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/11/18 7:31 p.m.

Some guy here stuffed a Nissan  engine into a alfa,another did a honda s 2000 engine 

All nice work

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/11/18 7:35 p.m.

And it is not to hard to stuff in a 2.2 ecotec engine,once you know how to, lol

BBy the way how much to get nord engine to 200. Hp?. And  the streck engine cost $$$$$

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/11/18 8:11 p.m.

Knock yourself out. smiley

But the s2000 was anything but easy of the thread I watched a few years ago. Required a new cross member. 

I’ve also seen a 5.0 dropped in a GTV. Great work, but it renders the car with the value of the car to just a swap. 

Its your money, but GTVs are selling for a lot of money these days. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/11/18 8:43 p.m.

Yes I saw the s2000  build,lots of work. A lot to get that big training in the car. As for a 5.0 in a gtv.just my thoughts..no thank you.i picked the ecotec engine because the size is very near the same.also you can get up to 300 hp,without doing major work.to get to 500 hp, rods and pistons,and injectors,and a ecu tune. My ecu is set for a soft 7200 cutoff, I replace oem springs ( they can handle 7500 rpm) with conical  springs,if I wanted to these springs can rev to 9k..oh, yes my pistons and very polished conrods,( yes had them checked  after lots of work)   the piston weigh exactly the same,the rods 2 weigh x, the other 2 are only 2 grams diff  

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/11/18 8:47 p.m.

The rods are fully polished.if you look closely, the imperfections are water spots, I wiped the dust off them before the photos 

horsewidower
horsewidower HalfDork
11/12/18 5:13 p.m.

Certainly, there are quite a number of engines that could go in the engine bay. For me, it'll either be an Alfa V6, or an Alfa twin cam. I only have one extra Nord engine, while I have 5 extra V6s. Hence the thought to go V6, I'd like to keep the extra 2.0 liter Nord for either my '74 GTV or a buddy's racing effort. 

But it is interesting to bench race other configurations. 

Bob

horsewidower
horsewidower HalfDork
11/12/18 5:17 p.m.

I quite literally have no money in the acquisition of the Berlina (basically the fuel cost of the 4 hour roundtrip with the truck). So, if I can't get it titled, it'll turn into a LeMons car. 

What the car will most definitely provide?  A full set of lessons in rust repair. 

But, you knew that, its an Alfa. ;)

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/12/18 9:01 p.m.

In reply to horsewidower :

Cannot be set up on the last sentence,too funny 

I have a Alfa Romeo  head that  i kidded

Was it to you? I have made the intake floor flat, sort of a D laying in its back

To help the flow, read that in the downounder they filled the floors of some heim heads and motorcycle heads ( even 4 valve motorcycle heads this way) to get. Flow speed up from a oversize intake track.i spent many hours shaping it ( layers of thin j.b. weld, thinner is better,than one clip of it) and to get a better dump into the fly. It's on the Alfa Romeo  bb..yes I do love Alfa Romeo engines, the dohc v6 intake manifold is beutiful.( damn spell check on my phone)

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/12/18 9:03 p.m.

We're did it go? " playing with old things?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/12/18 9:09 p.m.

They use a ecotec engine I Alfa Romeos,it's called Jts

Comes in the later 159 cars

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/13/18 6:42 a.m.
horsewidower said:

I quite literally have no money in the acquisition of the Berlina (basically the fuel cost of the 4 hour roundtrip with the truck). So, if I can't get it titled, it'll turn into a LeMons car. 

What the car will most definitely provide?  A full set of lessons in rust repair. 

But, you knew that, its an Alfa. ;)

Hopefully, you can title it, but you can use some really cheap circle track springs for a Lemons car- got a tip about them many years ago on the alfabb when we were making our challenge car.

horsewidower
horsewidower HalfDork
11/14/18 6:18 p.m.

Still have it. Got distracted on the way to the flow bench and dyno. I'll get back to it at some point. Thanks

horsewidower
horsewidower HalfDork
11/14/18 6:21 p.m.

A buddy, who works on a lot of transmissions, is loaning me a bellhousing and case to see how well it will fit with the engine and the transmission tunnel. I'll prop it and an engine block up in the engine bay and tunnel just for a bit of "proof of concept". 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/15/18 12:57 a.m.

I will submit no more posts here, very sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, take care

horsewidower
horsewidower HalfDork
11/15/18 11:02 a.m.

Didn't ruffle my feathers, I always enjoy the interaction. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7USGraFKWW40qdxwRevWPfHXTAs4wmDyWLJMa2ncwMSqEKREZyYtujYLfjz2giSb