1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 8:28 a.m.

So new rear tires came in.  225 x 70 for rear vs 205x75 for front.  Same stagger as original equipment.  Not much of a difference but supposedly helps with oversteer tendencies.

Dually 911 anyone?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 8:33 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I kind of want a tartan interior in something. But don't want a Porsche to get it.

Ovid: does the place you ordered from do other stuff, or just Porsche?

I know they do jeep stuff and bmw.  i think the do popular domestic.  Their ebay handle is zoomzoomzooming.  What ya thinking about?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 3:42 p.m.

Got to meet Mr. Tate to deliver  seat and harnesses for his Miata track car build.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/7/18 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

If/when the e39 works out, id like to do cloth/leatger seats to replace the worn leather. And cloth breathes better (im fat and sweat a lot)

Ive tried searching for the seller and not come up with anything. Can you link?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/7/18 5:14 p.m.

Did you trim your beard?  Trying to look respectable?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 5:26 p.m.

I just love coming home from a road trip to find that Brown Santa has visited. In their Divine wisdom of planned obsolescence, the Teutonic gods build Porsche floorboards from 1/4 " marine plywood. Which has a life expectancy of about 31 years. Ergo a cottage industry has arisen making ​​​aluminum replacements

Drilled for speed of course.cool

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 5:50 p.m.
Stampie said:

Did you trim your beard?  Trying to look respectable?

Nah...just getting so fat that my face is growing thru my beard.cheeky

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
7/7/18 6:11 p.m.

Ovid, Great meeting you today and thanks for bringing the seat! I have it sitting in place on the floor and I'm sure it will be fine when bolted to the mount.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/7/18 6:16 p.m.

Found him! Thanks!

Sent a message 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 6:20 p.m.

In reply to NermalSnert :

Great!  Good to meet you as well.  Don't know whether you saw my trick with plastic bags and expanding spray foam to personal fit a race seat.  I think you could use 1 gallon zip lock bacgs on rib cage area to get really snug fit.  Call if you want to discuss how I did mine.  Hope it all works out for you.  do you sit a lot lower in car?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

His name was Steven and he responded to my numerous questions really quickly.  I wanted to do some custom stitching and he had no problem with it and knew exactly what I was looking for.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
7/7/18 6:26 p.m.

Oh yeah. Much lower. The seat mount bolts in using the stock Miata mounting points. That will bring it up to just right, I think.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 6:36 p.m.

Boy moves fast....just picked up seat 2 hours ago.  Good looking Answer

Looks snug but tidy fit.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/8/18 12:19 a.m.

"Undercoat" update.  The consensus on the Porsche form board is that what I'm looking at is not undercoating but ancient cosmoline. Recommendation is to hit it with mineral spirits and stiff brushes. Going to try it I guess. Picture of rear fender well area.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/9/18 10:37 a.m.

Well a little success in cleaning.  Before and after using plastic brush and mineral spirits and brake cleaner

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/9/18 10:50 a.m.

now to tackle fenderwells

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/9/18 10:52 a.m.

Have and sell the very same :)

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/18 11:16 a.m.

Sorry, I just now had a chance to answer your question about undercoating removal.  I use this ->Crud Thug.

It's a great tool for removing undercoating, body filler, skin, rust or pretty much anything else you attack with it.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/14/18 12:34 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Yes. But I'm afraid that might take off the paint. All I know is this undercoating project is kicking my butt. I think I'll try some diesel to see if that dissolves it better.

That's it. The sun has overtaking my shade. I'm sick of working on red cars right now

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/18 8:06 p.m.

Saw this on Instagram and thought of your project. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
7/15/18 8:14 p.m.

Good evening Ovid, I used MEK in the early '80's to take the tar off a Spitfire from the firewall forward that had been Ziebarted. I think that stuff is kind of unhealthy though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/18 8:19 p.m.

Love the project, I really like the colour you went with on the wheels. I've got to ask why you are removing all the extra undercoating though, it sounds like it wasn't a problem when it was a track car and the extra protection from gravel being picked up and thrown at it would only help. Are you planning on recoating with something once you have the old off to keep the underlying original coating intact?

Adam

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/15/18 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

yes yep. I've already ordered the roof rack reproduction of the factory stainless steel one as opposed to the Thule black ones. And for what it's worth I have both a plain deck lid and a whale tail like shown in your pic. I'm having fun putting this project together but a few purist came by and said I'm destroying the value. Screw that. At least I'll be able to get in and out of it now. LOL

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/15/18 8:54 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Hi, Adam. I'm not really trying to remove all of it from the bottom of the car but over the course of time when I have pressure wash the wheel wells patches of the undercoating have come off exposing pristine painted chassis. Once I lifted it it looks like it has leprosy in the wheel well with all the black and red. I could have just shot some more undercoat on it or hit it with rattle can semi-gloss black. But I thought that would look like I was trying to cover something up.

The car is absolutely rust free original paint (admittedly tired from Southern sun affect...patina?laugh) having lived in Georgia or Mississippi its entire life. As tough as this stuff is I may just have to leave it leprosy Style in the wheel wells. LOL

The other area I'm battling this Ziebart crap is on the aluminum trailing arms in the rear suspension. Beautiful components with this crap all over it.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/15/18 8:59 p.m.

MEK?  Does it affect paint?

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YwyFEQsOgVa1jLGpIHrFpyH6oC4cSCxEG0LczoHMhJ9cXcpK3bGgVTMP0lnhLya5