1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/14/16 4:25 p.m.

Just the same dark grey color. All this was to fix the lack of paint on the roof and tailgate.

project creep is a killer

java230
java230 Dork
9/14/16 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Awesome, thats a good color

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/14/16 6:21 p.m.

Loving this build! How many hours now til paint?

Hungary Bill
9/15/16 9:37 a.m.

7 and a half. This is worse than the last day of school before break!

Hungary Bill
9/16/16 7:46 a.m.

In she goes!

A couple things:

• it was a mad dash. The guy wanted to get started at 5:30 which gave me 2-hours to mask everything. I'm glad I did the pre-cuts

• I've learned that "masking" is one of those things that sounds really easy (you just put tape where you don't want paint) but in reality there is much much more to it. Either that or I just OCD about simple things . A guy at work gave me a few pointers (tape your door seals, paint will make it in the crevice... etc.

Good times

Hungary Bill
9/16/16 7:52 a.m.

"Everybody meet 'Ray'"

"Ray be our spray booth operator today

Right now we see Ray preparing the subject vehicle for its final spray. This is one of the last steps in the body repair procedure. As you can see, Ray has an air nozzle and tack wipe. What Ray is doing is getting the dust from the body work out from the hard to reach areas and wiping away any surface contamination so the paint will have a nice, smooth finish..."

I should have been a tour guide

Good luck Ray (and, er, I'm sorry about the amateur masking job...)

EastCoastMojo
9/16/16 7:57 a.m.

Man, I am way too excited about this. Can't wait for an update!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/16/16 8:17 a.m.

I'm even more on the edge of my seat than I was before!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/16/16 8:25 a.m.

This is great!!

I know just how excited you are.

java230
java230 Dork
9/16/16 10:07 a.m.

Did you get a peek at it today?!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/16 7:22 p.m.

Hungary Bill
9/16/16 9:46 p.m.

Guys, I'm really sorry to keep you waiting.

I got a call at 1pm today. "Come pick up the truck when you can."

(I was there by 3 on the dot)

Two thumbs up

I'm so happy with the way this turned out.

Now to put her back together (but first, I'll let her cure a bit over the weekend...)

Very good times

java230
java230 Dork
9/16/16 9:56 p.m.

Yeah baby! Looks great!!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/16 8:35 a.m.

Awesome! I'm always impressed with how much a new coat of paint refreshes anything.

EastCoastMojo
9/17/16 8:52 a.m.

Yeah! It looks fantasitc! Good job Ray

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/17/16 8:55 a.m.

Go ahead and scratch it somewhere. It's going to happen and you'll be overprotective until it does.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
9/17/16 2:14 p.m.

Excellent!

Hungary Bill
9/17/16 9:40 p.m.

It's kind of weird, I feel like I have an "adult car"now I do have plans for the first scratches and dings though. Scheduled October 2nd

We're planning a run from one major highway to another highway through the mountains. The area is called "Stampede pass" and it's really just a HUGE conglomeration of forest service roads, with a few logging ghost towns in between (some vacated as recently as 1984-ish)

http://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1867-nf-7030-to-stampede-pass

Come Monday the fun begins of putting all the trim etc back on. I also need to look into some rock-chip prevention for the leading edge of my rear wheel arches. Java mentioned some 3M clear vinyl earlier in the thread so I think that's where I'll start my search.

Good times.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/18/16 10:30 a.m.

Nice!

FWIW, a day spent with some satin black paint for the trim and some plastic polish for the lenses will make a pretty dramatic difference for cheap.

java230
java230 Dork
9/18/16 11:42 a.m.

It's pretty impressive, no chips. But getting weather checked. You can tell it's on there, probably 1/16" thick.

Hungary Bill
9/21/16 7:59 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Man, I thought about it. Especially the wipers, but in the end I decided I'd really like to get back to the Alfa. Mezzanine and I were talking about taking a buffer to this beast and really making the paint "pop" but I think I'll just leave her as it is (ugly trim and all. and some of the trim is pretty ugly )

Java:
I went and looked at the "install area". Someone put some aftermarket trim on the rocker panels (yeah, it's going back on. Mostly because I didn't think to fill the holes... ). I'm thinking I may just do the area on the rear wheel well bulges where those black plastic pieces used to be...

OR maybe some fender flares are in order

Hungary Bill
9/21/16 8:18 a.m.

Those stickers I bought from James Dean Creations that cost $250?

Worth every damn penny

I'm still stabbing trim pieces back on, but I won't bore you with any more body work.

Next up: I need to get this CB installed for the overlanding trip on October 2nd (parts on order), and I'm on borrowed time with this timing chain. It's ticking, and by the looks of the receipts I got it's been ticking for a while. The previous owners had it in for ignition timing, and exhaust leaks which I'm assuming was a misdiagnosis of the problem.

All easily done and not a big deal, but I'm behind on fleet maintenance. The truck is getting a new starter (in progress. ETC tomorrow), the Saab needs some sort of valve that makes it hard to start after you get gas and an oil change (scheduled Friday), and so on...

Good times

84FSP
84FSP Dork
9/21/16 9:24 a.m.

Looks really great. Love that you went period correct with the sticker package. I had a 86 Toyota long cab long bed 22r in the exact same color and loved it.

java230
java230 Dork
9/21/16 10:12 a.m.

Oh that looks sexy! Im in for the 2nd BTW. Skip the CB, go ham..... Ive got a handheld you can borrow if you want.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
9/21/16 10:14 a.m.

That's sharp nice work.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4lyDiIQDFISQVGUHoNVf3ZIB4yKFVgP1EzSBSIvk7bhJ6OoZcSUNrHg85PmzAW0u