1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/20 2:17 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Could you just swap the side case from the new trans onto your current trans?

Yes, I could. It took me 3 days to get the thing together the last time. I'd also need a new bearing and have to guess on the shims to use to set the diff. Or I can be safe, install a known good trans into the car to go beat on for 3500 miles then properly install the diff this winter. The nice thing here is I'll end up with 1.5 cases and 2 complete gear and synchro sets. 

EDIT: Also something to keep in mind the finance manager is getting a little fed up with the car at this point as well.... .so whatever gets me ready to roll without costing an arm and a leg, without more down time in the garage and more headaches is a plus right now. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/9/20 2:27 p.m.

yes

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/14/20 5:35 p.m.

So $300 lighter wallet. But I have a trans with half the miles and not missing aluminum and a pair of red stock taillights with harness and bulbs. And got to spend 3 hours driving through a snow storm. So a pretty good day

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/14/20 5:41 p.m.

Snow?  Nice day here. 

I had no perception but if I did I don't think it would have been cold enough for snow. Was probably just under 40 degrees. Like 38 degrees most all day. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/14/20 7:41 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

From mechanicsburg to Dayton there was almost an inch of snow on the ground. It was still 36* but it was coming down hard and fast

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/15/20 2:21 p.m.

To move forward things must come apart. Again. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/27/20 3:15 p.m.

Well, things haven't changed a whole lot. Car is still in pieces. Since I now have a lot more time, I'm having a friend more familiar with transaxles swap over the diff before putting it all back together. 

The more pressing question at this point is now what? I have about 13.5 months. there's no way to tune the factory ecu anymore. Do I now take that time to build a new harness and microsquirt it to get another 10hp? Or do I just put it back together, enjoy it until it pops and move on to a newer platform that I can make power with? I mean.... I think I'd love to put together a 2nd gen Koup SX next. More room, better drive train, more room for massive tires etc. 

WWGRMD?

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/27/20 4:12 p.m.

I wouldn't put the effort into a 'squirt conversion if you are already considering a platform change, unless it would carry over.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/20 4:40 p.m.

I'd stop messing with korean cars but that's just me

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/27/20 4:49 p.m.
Patrick said:

I'd stop messing with korean cars but that's just me

Some day that will happen. I think it's the day they put me in a nursing home 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/5/20 4:38 p.m.

So not waiting in new diff bearings and decided screw it I want to drive it again. So put the trans back in and all that stiff to go with it. Suspension, brakes,ps all the necessities. All that's left is to fill the trans bleed the brakes and pop the intake back on. 

then I broke myself. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/5/20 5:20 p.m.

it's going to take a week to clean up all the tools. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/20 7:53 a.m.

So everything but needling the brakes and setting toe is complete. That's today's job (and prepping the mower/mowing). That means I should get to drive it again for he first time in a month it looks like. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/20 7:54 a.m.

Edit: 2 months. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/20 4:51 p.m.

It's together. Rears with 245's rub hard. Rolled the rears a bit but man they run hard. I'm thinking about sawzall and flares. Raised the left rear a bit butnit settles back down. Got tired so I stopped. I will try raising it again tomorrow

I would be very interested in purchasing current platform if/when a platform change happens. I was a young tech for the flying H when these came out and I have a soft spot for them. After 15 years with the flying H I've moved on to other things but I've never scratched that itch. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/20 5:37 p.m.

In reply to appliance_racer (Forum Supporter) :

There won't be much left of this one. Lol. Structurally it seems fine but it's far from pretty. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/8/20 12:15 p.m.

She's back on the road. God I missed this car. It's such a E36 M3 box but I absolutely love it. The trans is definitely a low mile unit. It still goes into 1st gear while moving. 
the factory sub is much more pronounced without the rear carpet and linings. Since it comes out with 3 bolts and a quick plug it stays in. 
245' rub so bad back there I'm back on the crap wheels and westlakes. I am serious considering bolt on flares and sawzall. But I don't have enough wheel to pull that off. I'd really want 17x9's with a 30 offset to rock 255's squared. These puny 17x8's are just too small lol

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/10/20 4:43 p.m.

drives pretty decent. Have a thunk up front and still needs an alignment. Damn I missed this car. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/12/20 7:15 p.m.

Flares ordered. Be here Friday. Haven't told the wife yet. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
4/12/20 7:57 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Awesome. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/20 6:24 a.m.
barefootskater said:
bobzilla said:

Awesome. 

which part? The flares or not telling the wife? Lol

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/20 6:46 a.m.
bobzilla said:
barefootskater said:
bobzilla said:

Awesome. 

which part? The flares or not telling the wife? Lol

I'm voting both.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/20 7:25 a.m.
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/20 9:10 a.m.

Essentially the same ones I bought for the Lexus! 

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ugAr45sdlGO7k03Tiu63n2HefvJbzEbhPufd9lIraQ7qcE1Q6KFq28cZkxhWJLPs