1 2 3 4 ... 19
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/11/19 9:00 a.m.

so, for estimates sake...

let's assume the sunroof is ~2sqft of area.  it's in a low pressure zone, so let's say there's a "lift potential" coefficient of 0.2 (note seth's splitter is estimated at 0.3... so this is probably grossly overkill).

so, at 100mph and "standard conditions"...  1/2 * rho * V^2 * S * Cl  ....

.5*.002377*(150^2)*2*.2  ~= 8lbf

and just because it's easy and fun... 150mph and standard conditions...

.5*.002377*(220^2)*2*.2 ~= 23lbf

keep in mind, if you test that... you have to push up from inside... or pull up from the outside with something like a fish scale

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 9:09 a.m.

MAths is hard. Why cant I just use duct tape?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/11/19 9:21 a.m.

94% chance duct tape will work. Probably won't be legal, but it will be light. laugh

sleepyhead
2/11/19 9:24 a.m.

sleepywife:  “what was that crash!?”

sleepyhead: “science!”

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 9:26 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

What if I used it inside under the headliner? No one would know. Everyone knows its good to 200 mph and the only way this thing is going that fast is strapping on some rocket engines for a one way trip to oblivion. 

Seriously though...... I would be surprised to see this hit 130 on a really long straight.... like 2 miles long. I've driven these before and they aren't fast. Then again, I've only driven new unmodified ones so maybe I'll be surprised. 

EDIT: I need to check to see if this can even be tuned... time to message BTR.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/11/19 9:44 a.m.

Ah crap, it just occurred to me that I might need to build a motor to beat Bob's $500 Hyundai. Kind of puts things in perspective. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 9:46 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Ah crap, it just occurred to me that I might need to build a motor to beat Bob's $500 Hyundai. Kind of puts things in perspective. 

And this is why I don't know why Hyundai hasn't dominated the world yet in racing. I mean.... a $500 non-running Hyundai is scaring people. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/11/19 11:39 a.m.

Cool, I liked the way these looked since they came out!  I think these turn up fairly regularly at junkyards near me, so if you end up needing anything when I’m make a trip to one, let me know.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/11/19 11:41 a.m.
bobzilla said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

And this is why I don't know why Hyundai hasn't dominated the world yet in racing. I mean.... a $500 non-running Hyundai is scaring people. 

Did I ever tell you about the time I passed the factory Tiburon Rally cars on an open trailer? Yes I know they were really more like Tiburon bodies on Evos, but that's not the point. The point is that they were awesome and put in the open for all the world to see. I almost crashed. So cool. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 1:51 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

'preciate that. It looks like the only body part I am looking for is a passenger rocker in silver. and maybe a non-sunroof headliner. but both of those are a couple months out. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

depends on the generation. The early curvy cars used the mitsu awd goodies. The later 005-06 used the world engine in 2.0L form and a sequential manual trans pushing 400+whp IIRC. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/11/19 2:01 p.m.

Dammit bob. This thread now has me thinking about how to delete the sunroof without welding or ugliness on a street car.....

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/19 2:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Dammit bob. This thread now has me thinking about how to delete the sunroof without welding or ugliness on a street car.....

I think YOU just need an old t-shirt and some leftover 'glass...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/11/19 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Youve seen my fiberglass work. Nope!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 2:27 p.m.

I'm glad I can contribute to someone else's delinquency 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/19 2:29 p.m.

Is Lexan or plexiglass a viable idea?  Cut to fit the rubber and install without all the mechanicals, paint to color match, add new headliner, viola!!!   

sleepyhead
2/11/19 2:38 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Robbie :

Youve seen my fiberglass work. Nope!

yeah, but this time you'd have the OEM glass to build on as a form... which should be {ahem} glass-smooth

also, uni-directional carbon tapes are pretty cheap, and would... uh... "starch" up the t-shirt nicely

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 2:46 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

Is Lexan or plexiglass a viable idea?  Cut to fit the rubber and install without all the mechanicals, paint to color match, add new headliner, viola!!!   

honestly, leave it tinted dark/black. it would look "normal" but without the weight or functionality

mazdeuce - Seth
2/11/19 3:23 p.m.
bobzilla said:
 it would look "normal" but without the weight or functionality
This is how people describe me as well. 
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/19 9:10 a.m.

Ooohhh.... I wonder if Stan still has those Kosei's from the Forte? Those would look good!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/12/19 9:33 a.m.

I just came here to say that one of the sexiest exhaust sounds I have ever heard came out of a 2.7L Tiburon. But, the hood was held on with a ratchet strap and the rest of the car made me feel like i was going to become infected and contract some form of filth or illness so I parked it pretty quickly and didn't spend as much time as i should have noting the exhaust setup. I would pay money to hear that sound again, it was that good. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/19 11:08 a.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/18/19 8:27 a.m.

Had it for a week now, still sitting on the trailer. Finally worked on it. I pulled the battery out and put it on the charger. IT's a new battery that is now going into the Forte. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/21/19 5:15 p.m.

Since the truck is running/driving, timing belt ordered. AFter this weekend I'll likely pull it into the garage and start tearing into it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/22/19 9:04 a.m.

I spent the extra $10 for the gates belt... shame on me. But I've been fantasizing about some bronze Motegi 131 traklites in 17x8 a lot lately. Maybe I need to list the bike for sale now...

1 2 3 4 ... 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VZUUN2tIQghWLkEdsVIz5sregKVtn9mllRR4Ax693vq9mPj6AT3Js6iSGmZk7w1J