1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/15/19 8:49 p.m.

255’s clear stock suspension front and rear. Will need to roll the rear fenders when lowered but they fit really well. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/15/19 9:10 p.m.

Victory!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/19 8:10 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

they ain't 275's like on Brian's civic... but still a victory.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/16/19 1:50 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

we did pretty good work on 225's this past year

mazdeuce - Seth
8/16/19 2:08 p.m.

They're a good compromise. 275's generate a LOT of grip in cars this size and that takes quite a lot of spring/damping/bar to deal with. They're also expensive. I'm sure you'll soon get to the point where you say to yourself "Bob, it's these dang 255's that are holding me back." When that happens, you'll know it's time to move up. I am not there on 225's for what it's worth. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/19 2:56 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah... wife asked "those look tight. How would you get anything bigger in there?" My answer was "I don't. I put on flares and they stick out." I'm used to a 2800lb fwd car on sticky 225's with an open diff. I was fast in that. 255's and an LSD with almost the same power and weight makes my pants tight thinking about it. I'm trying to decide if I want to drive to South Bend in the morning and take the other two wheels up for the other two. I wonder if Jen is in the mood for a road trip?

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/16/19 4:07 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

google image searches "tiburon fender flares"...

I find it so interesting that people have gone to the trouble of making rear flares that add a fake inlet to a rear-mid-engine that isn't there on a TIburon.  But nobody has made front flares that integrate with the sharkgills.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/19 9:41 p.m.

Ok. Suspension is in. No surprises there. Fronts still fit with about 2* of camber with another half degree left in the plates. The rear rubs. Hard. Looks like a 10-15mm spacer should clear. It’ll really need some rolling back there. I’m starting to think 245’s might be a safer fit. 

Put in my old pioneer CD player. Not sure what to “value” this thing. Wife bought it as a bday gift back around 08 for my elantra. It’s since been in that car, the C4, the Rio and now the tiburon. Funny.... it’s been in 3 Korean cars. But it hooks up to the factory amp and sub and sounds so good. I feel like I’m 16 all over again! And now instead of a cassette deck I have an aux port!

no pictures tonight. I’m tired. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 11:53 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

255-front/245-rear sounds fun to me. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/17/19 11:55 a.m.

The TL ran 245 / 225 back in 2018

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/17/19 11:56 a.m.

I want to run square so we don’t run into the same issue as the TL with tire wear. 

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/19 12:39 p.m.

Bob, I'd highly recommend that you run 245's, especially since you have 8" wide wheels. I had 17x9s on my STX prepped Cobalt SS Turbo and tried both 255 & 245 RE71Rs. I was significantly faster on the 245's. The 255's were a bit pinched onto the wheel and if you looked closely, you could see the tread was slightly domed. The sidewall roll over was worse on the 255's & I had -3.2 degrees of camber. I can imagine this is going to be worse on an 8" wheel.

There was also a STX RX8 in my region who got faster dropping to 245s from 255's. He was on Rival 1.5s, so I don't think this phenomenon is brand dependent.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/18/19 6:14 p.m.

Yeah I’m leaning towards 235 or 245 for clearance. 

Suspension is in. 

The left rear is still about 3/4” lower. So I’ll raise it up.  Camber is sitting right at -2.2* with more available. And it rides good. I was very apprehensive about those spring rates but apparently when you put good dampers in there it takes the roughness out. 

Brakes are complete E36 M3 though. Rotors are aompitted and the pads so glazed there’s no way to revive them. So new pads and rotors ordered. Love amazon. Be here Tuesday 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/18/19 7:04 p.m.

Looks good, though you're right, this car has a bad side. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/18/19 7:34 p.m.

Yep. Fender and rocker are pooched on this side. Other than that it’s lpretty decent. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/21/19 9:19 p.m.

New pads, rotors, rear hub and brake fluid on/in. It was a little late for bedding them in. Ready for Saturday's track day. Yay!

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/22/19 12:49 a.m.
bobzilla said:

New pads, rotors, rear hub and brake fluid on/in. It was a little late for bedding them in. Ready for Saturday's track day. Yay!

I was beginning to wonder.  w00t!  Good luck!

mazdeuce - Seth
8/22/19 6:02 a.m.

You, on a racetrack, in a car you assembled, is so cool. 

Go fast. 

Be safe. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/19 7:13 a.m.

Yeah, this has taken longer than it should have but life got in the way a few times. We're htting the track with 2 brands of all season 215/45's so it won't be that fast, but A.) there's instruction with this saturday and b.) it lets me get seat time close by (30 minutes away, 15 from my folks place) to shake the car down and make sure it's capable of doing what I want. 

I'm ready. Also plates FINALLY showed up with the new registration so I can legally drive it places!

mazdeuce - Seth
8/22/19 7:24 a.m.

You've hung out with me. "Fast" is a relative term. laugh

Go do what you built it to do. 

How's that? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/19 10:53 a.m.

WEll that’s disconcerting. Went to go bed the brakes in only to find out I have no brakes. Pedal goes to the floor, no stops. Looks like the wife gets to pump the brakes again tonight. Hopefully that works. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 12:11 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

start with gravity bleed.   do not stroke the master cylinder to the floor.  if there's any crud in the bore, it can damage the MC piston seals.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/19 1:02 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to bobzilla :

start with gravity bleed.   do not stroke the master cylinder to the floor.  if there's any crud in the bore, it can damage the MC piston seals.

that was what I did last night flushing out the old fluid. then used the mighty vac to suck out the air. I have a feeling the ABS pump is the choke point and it may need to be bled with the key on....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/19 3:24 p.m.

The good news is the MC has clear and bright fresh fluid in it and I don't see any signs of junk or icky stuff.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/19 7:44 p.m.

Just spent over an hour with the wife pumping and holding. I can get the right front and left rear decent but the left front is nothing but air. Right rear is a small stream and no pressure. 

Thinking it might be the abs pump tried with the key on. No help. Tried starting car, putting it in gear and trying to get the abs to actuate. No go. 

Min at a loss. I have less than 36 hours to figure this out. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wkMK3F9qhhYj7DROgCp4SwGNV2p2RExQuiZTKuHXSd7uE45wDAVwlLqPkGQUvE3p