1 2 3
Agent98
Agent98 Reader
1/28/19 1:15 p.m.

That strut tower brace floral pattern looks like granny's ironing board. 

Maybe this fine machine had the windshield replaced at some point and had an indifferent sealing job. A couple of dashboard leakers I've fixed by painting the edge where the lower seal meets the glass with....liquid tape. for a 256 K mile car won't detract from the looks too badly. try sealing that area first with a strip of packing tape, if the floor stays dry, you know the water is getting under the seal ..then hit it with liquid tape.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/28/19 1:18 p.m.

Needs more Wings West  body kit :-p 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/19 1:34 p.m.

It's so awful, but awesome.

looks like a solid candidate for DD duty... and you literally can't make it worse! 

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing New Reader
1/28/19 1:35 p.m.
Agent98 said:

That strut tower brace floral pattern looks like granny's ironing board. 

Maybe this fine machine had the windshield replaced at some point and had an indifferent sealing job. A couple of dashboard leakers I've fixed by painting the edge where the lower seal meets the glass with....liquid tape. for a 256 K mile car won't detract from the looks too badly. try sealing that area first with a strip of packing tape, if the floor stays dry, you know the water is getting under the seal ..then hit it with liquid tape.

Thanks for the info, Im thinking its something to do with the door seal, It runs right down into the foot board front he left near the dead pedal. Have to take the whole thing apart to see, but the door seems to close a little funny. 

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/28/19 1:36 p.m.
xflowgolf said:

Needs more Wings West  body kit :-p 

Xenon here we come.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/28/19 1:40 p.m.

Is that an engraved valve cover? Like they do on guns? That's actually kind of cool. 

Dave
Dave Reader
1/28/19 1:59 p.m.

That strut brace is sure something. Wow.

I put a giant (and pallet wood wing) on our beater Civic for the Great Beater Challenge in 2017. Never had some much attention (good or bad) in a car. Ever. Your car needs a wing. :)

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/28/19 2:04 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Is that an engraved valve cover? Like they do on guns? That's actually kind of cool. 

Yes it is, hand engraved....surely the highlight of the PO's day, but it looks so tacky

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/28/19 2:11 p.m.

I dont think it "needs" a wing.....I think it deserves one lol. 

But, no, that wont be happening. Im trying to make it better, not worse. Hahaha

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/28/19 2:31 p.m.

That strut brace must go back on, immediately. 

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/28/19 2:33 p.m.

The strut brace is long gone, it wasn't actually mounted to anything on the back side (firewall). It ws just really annoying to have to work around it when adding transmission fluid every three days as this car has self changing fluids

wawazat
wawazat Reader
1/28/19 3:55 p.m.

Think less of self changing fluids and more of automatic corrosion protection capability

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/29/19 7:19 a.m.
wawazat said:

Think less of self changing fluids and more of automatic corrosion protection capability

Seems to be the case,

donalson
donalson PowerDork
1/29/19 9:33 a.m.

years ago I recall a car running around town with a stock spoiler that they'd bolted another spoiler on top of... this was early/mid 2ks so Fast and Furious was all the rage...  I think the most important part was finding a spoiler form the junkyard that least fit the shape of your car... lol.

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/29/19 9:37 a.m.
donalson said:

years ago I recall a car running around town with a stock spoiler that they'd bolted another spoiler on top of... this was early/mid 2ks so Fast and Furious was all the rage...  I think the most important part was finding a spoiler form the junkyard that least fit the shape of your car... lol.

Yeah I have seen some atrocious spoilers running around,. remember the Whale Tail spoilers?? UGH.....But this car WILL NOT be getting a spoiler of any sort LOL

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
1/29/19 9:52 a.m.

I thought all F&F Honda tuners were required to have the giant red tow hook protruding from the rear.

Because Watkins Glen. 

Any thoughts on how to get the transmission sealed up? That'll ruin your day $$$$ faster than anything, I'll bet...

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/29/19 9:57 a.m.
Agent98 said:

I thought all F&F Honda tuners were required to have the giant red tow hook protruding from the rear.

Because Watkins Glen. 

Any thoughts on how to get the transmission sealed up? That'll ruin your day $$$$ faster than anything, I'll bet...

I think they are, but Im going to take a high road on this and just leave that hook out. I don't live close enough to Watkins Glen LOL

The trans leak isn't major, just ad a bit here and there, im not going to address too much on this drivetrain....it really wont be staying any longer than it needs to and if it does poop the bed, that is just that much sooner I can swap it. 

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
1/29/19 11:03 a.m.

My friend has a '00 Si that's throughly modified.  His car had a massive leak in the driver's floor also. If you Google it, it seems to be a pretty common problem.   The culprit if I recall is an inadequate amount of seam sealer on the front rail.  

I did my 2012 Challenge MX-3 Turbo in the same color.  May not be everyone's taste, but it definitely got attention.  It's called Cool Lava by Alsa in the colorforce3 line.

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/29/19 11:13 a.m.
dansxr2 said:

My friend has a '00 Si that's throughly modified.  His car had a massive leak in the driver's floor also. If you Google it, it seems to be a pretty common problem.   The culprit if I recall is an inadequate amount of seam sealer on the front rail.  

I did my 2012 Challenge MX-3 Turbo in the same color.  May not be everyone's taste, but it definitely got attention.  It's called Cool Lava by Alsa in the colorforce3 line.

Thanks I hadnt heard of that issue, I will check it out asap. Its supposed to pour here today (South Carolina) so maybe a good day to check it. 

That MX3 Looks awesome, I always had an odd soft spot for that car. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/19 5:33 p.m.
IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing said:

The Engine bay in all its horrible glory. I immediately removed that stupid strut tower brace. And the interior, which is now much cleaner, Oh and I forgot to mention, to make it that much  worse, its an Autromatic!!!! That also flushes its fluid automatically. 

at least it's a triangulated brace.... I kind of dig the valve cover. though I think I would just pay the laser guy to do it instead of letting someone hack away at it with a dremel. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/29/19 5:55 p.m.

Yes it is, one of the techs here thinks it's super cool, he's a young guy, so we just leave it alone.

as if you have room to talk E36 M3 to him anyhow :D hahah.....

I say you go all in and just ultra-rice it with your own Altezzas and maybe a big wing. I mean, no real point in bringing a civic with an automatic and tired engine to "more stockish" really. If you wanted a normal civic, there's no shortage of them out there (with MT) for cheap. So yeah, go all in!

Also - love the wallpaper pattern on the "strut bar" :)

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
1/29/19 11:30 p.m.

That valve cover is awesome.

How long before you get running neons underneath?

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/30/19 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Except the firewall side wasn't attached to anything. It had to go. The engraving isn't really that bad, I just think its super tacky

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
1/30/19 7:57 a.m.
irish44j said:

Yes it is, one of the techs here thinks it's super cool, he's a young guy, so we just leave it alone.

as if you have room to talk E36 M3 to him anyhow :D hahah.....

I say you go all in and just ultra-rice it with your own Altezzas and maybe a big wing. I mean, no real point in bringing a civic with an automatic and tired engine to "more stockish" really. If you wanted a normal civic, there's no shortage of them out there (with MT) for cheap. So yeah, go all in!

Also - love the wallpaper pattern on the "strut bar" :

Oh I dont have an inch to talk any crap about it. LOL 

Grandmas wallpaper strut bar had to go, the entire thing was just even more ridiculous than the rest of the heap.  I don't really mind putting the work into this car, the chassis is solid and the body is pretty straight for a 20+yr old Honda. Plus Honda swaps and parts are dirt cheap. I always love to have a project. I plan on a engine swap and manual swap eventually. (Just not sure what swap yet)

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
1/30/19 2:02 p.m.

But now that you took the strut bar out, where will you iron your shirts? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jiUN0RZ6sW8bcqUZzd3DcoZyPkMQslNd3AG8CQdxxBjlifWR9MhWK29NzYqXJ5hX