1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 52
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/18 8:58 p.m.

I just read the thread from the beginning over a few days. Things certainly have taken a different turn with the wife getting into the Mustang and then Camaro. ZL1 no less.

I’m not surprised your thoughts have turned to turbo power on the Miata. This is where things get really fun and much less reliable!

laugh

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
11/19/18 9:18 a.m.

The end goal for the NA Miata has always been an engine swap or forced induction.  My goal was to get the chassis sorted first, and as a result, I've had plenty of time to try to sort out the power increase.  I've waffled back and forth, and a Ford V8 was almost always at the top of the list, but I think I've just decided a turbo BP is a simpler path.  Having a V8 in the fleet did make that decision a little easier... cheeky

The reliable turbo BP path has been thoroughly mapped out at this point, so all I need to do is check off the boxes.  I'm not quite finished with the chassis, though... so there will be some decision making coming as to the sequencing of events.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
11/22/18 9:25 p.m.

Got rear ended today... angry

On our way to T-Giving dinner with family, minding our own business, waiting at a red light and BAM!

Fortunately, we were driving the truck, not the Camaro or NB.  Also fortunately, when I was thinking about taking the hitch out of the receiver this morning I decided to be lazy and leave it in.  The hitch took the brunt of the impact.

The truck that hit us:

She still made contact with our bumper and bent it.  I'm hoping that's the extent of the damage.  Both my wife and I have a little soreness.  I'm more worried about her, having had two fusion surgeries on her neck.  

Other driver got a ticket, and has insurance.  Calling our insurance agent tomorrow.... indecision

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
11/25/18 10:06 a.m.

Took some pics of our bumper after the hit the other day...

The whole bumper is slightly tweaked, but it's more obvious on the right side.  No part of the bumper made contact with the sheet metal, so that's good.

I got underneath and laid a steel straightedge on everything that was supposed to be flat and straight, and it was, so that's a good sign.

My insurance agent was closed Friday because of the holiday, so I'll go see her tomorrow and get things started.  I definitely want to get it into a good shop to get checked out thoroughly.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
11/25/18 10:20 a.m.

Yesterday I got the ZL1 out for a 'fun' drive with the gang...

It was my first chance to wring out the Bridgestone all seasons, and I found them to be.... adequate.

Obviously, they don't have the performance of 'summer' tires, which I was expecting.  In fact, they are quite capable of reaching imprudent speeds on  mountain roads.  They have a little softer sidewall than I like, which results in a less planted feeling.  Some of that may be due to the weight of the car.  The Michelin A/S 3+ on the Mustang had much better feel, IMHO.  It's a shame they don't make it in ZL1 sizes.  Aggressive corner exits were fun... and gave the TC light a workout! cheeky

All in all, the 'Stones are fine for the street.  They're quieter and ride better than the stock GYs, and have plenty of performance to reach stupid speeds.

In other news, did a little roll-on comparison with the GT3 in the pic from ~50mph.  Since he's got almost 500hp and is much lighter, I thought it would be close... it wasn't... devil

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
11/25/18 8:42 p.m.

I'm a bit nervous about that bumper as it has the reverse sensors in it. Plus with all the electronics that are in modern vehicles now a days, well...... things may be fine for a while but then everything will start going bonkers.... had that happen to a 01 Cadillac DeVille DHS. Got rear ended, busted a reverse sensor out of the bumper and everything went to hell.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
11/30/18 8:23 a.m.

Got the initial estimate on the truck...

The factory receiver hitch is bent, unclear at this point if the Superhitch is bent.  It appears not, as the factory hitch has moved in relation to the Superhitch, and the draw bar was mounted in the factory hitch at the time of the crash.  Frame straightness is still an unknown... have to get it in the shop to check.

Other party's insurance has recognized 100% responsibility, so that's a plus.  Hoping to get the shop work lined up today, as they're about two weeks out on being able to get me in.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/1/18 4:57 p.m.

Made a little progress on the NA today.

I drug out my spare set of control arms and knocked out the old bushings.  My "Bauer" 1/2" cordless impact and "Maddox" ball joint service kit from Harbor Freight made things quick and easy.

Front upper arm:

After knocking out the bushings, I went ahead and removed the ball joints.

Yuk.

On the rear inners, the ball joint press worked perfectly, but for the outers, I ended up using a 3 jaw puller, since there isn't room for the ball joint press between the bushings.

Now that all the control arms are bare, I can see about getting them media blasted to prep for painting.  

Two thumbs up for the Bauer 1/2" impact.  I bought this thing last summer, took it to FM Summer Camp, a couple other trackdays, changed several sets of wheels at home, and the initial battery charge finally gave it up today on the very last bushing!

Bauer 20V impact

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/9/18 12:03 p.m.

Got the control arms cleaned up.

I'm debating whether to just paint them, or have them blasted first.

Also thinking about upgrading the front uppers to NB arms, which have more underside bracing.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/12/18 1:43 p.m.

Id upgrade to the NB uppers and just paint them, they look to be in good condition. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/12/18 2:13 p.m.

I think I'm decided on upgrading to NB FUCAs.  Here's the difference for those who are interested:

The arrow in Supermiata's NB pic points to an area that can interfere with some coil overs, and usually needs a bit of clearancing.

My biggest issue is not letting project creep take over... 

This was supposed to just facilitate a bushing replacement, but now I'm thinking about NB spindles and steering rack to minimize bump steer.  Of course to do the NB rack requires an NB subframe (which also has improved goemetry), but if I'm going to do that, I'd really like a tubular subframe... and so on... cheeky

But, it would be nice to have it apart ONCE, and have everything done.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/12/18 2:19 p.m.

Do it once and let the project creep take over! 

ToySnakePMC
ToySnakePMC New Reader
12/13/18 11:42 a.m.

Always enjoy reading this thread of Miata goodness and now with a spicy twist of late-model American iron thrown in for added bonus.   I, too, will soon embark on a ‘91 BRG suspension refresh & improvement with NB subframe, rack, bushings, 1.8 brakes, and Budget Bilsteins with 500 and 300 spring ratings.   I’ll have to soon chose between the NB FUCA and spindles or reuse the early ones.  I’d have to bite the bullet and order the V8R upper ball joints, I guess and put the Moog ones on the shelf.    We’re lucky to have such first world problems on our minds...

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/13/18 6:03 p.m.

Thanks!

Supermiata also has a quality upper ball joint available now.  Works on both NA and NB.

Supermiata upper ball joint

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/13/18 6:07 p.m.

Scored some new shoes for the ZL1 today...

After getting the all seasons on for DD use, I had been looking for a second set of wheels to put the stock Goodyears on for the track.  Stumbled into a smokin' deal on a set of HRE wheels in stock sizes with near new, and never track driven, R888Rs...  laugh

Just got home from the 450 mile round trip to pick them up.

Planning to get them mounted up and take some pics tomorrow.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
12/13/18 8:54 p.m.

Any word on the damage to the Cummins?

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/13/18 10:12 p.m.

I noted in a previous post that the factory receiver hitch was bent.  I won't know about frame damage until they can get it on the rack.

Finally got the appointment made and approved...  Truck goes in the shop first week in January.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/14/18 4:23 p.m.

Mounted the wheels on the Camaro today to take some pics.

HRE FF04 in Tarmac, stock ZL1 sizes (20x10, 20x11)

Toyo R888R, 285/30-20, and 315/30-20

On my bathroom scale, the fronts were 56.5 lbs and rears 59.5 lbs.  

Compared to 67 and 68lbs for the stock wheels with Bridgestone RE980AS, these take 10.5lbs off each front corner and 8.5lbs off each rear corner.  38lbs total!  That's more than one of my Miata track wheels/tires weighs... cheeky

Anyway, here's some pics:

I think I'll be swapping the tires around so I can run these as the daily wheel.  They're too pretty to run them only on the track.  

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
12/14/18 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Ah.... Damn I knew I read that, I just totally forgot lol. Don't even know what day of the week it is half the time being busy as hell. Hopefully it's good news either way.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/22/18 4:14 p.m.

One of the projects that I didn't really get to this year was building a new work/welding bench.  Last spring I planned the whole thing out... it was going to have two sets of drawers (HF side cabinets for the 44" tool chest), hold all my welders, and have a steel worktop.  Then HF discontinued the cabinets I planned to use and the replacement was not yet available.

Fast forward through a busy year, and I never got it built.  Now HF has a new version of the cabinet out, and I had coupons that were good this weekend. laugh

My plans had changed a bit, however, and I realized having my welders and plasma anchored to the workbench (even though it will be on casters) wasn't the greatest idea.  I needed to do something, though, because they were taking up a bunch of space in the garage in the current configuration...

I ended up deciding to pick up one of the large HF "Vulcan" branded welder carts, which is big enough for my TIG, MIG and plasma.  I had a coupon for it, too...  laugh

Of course, the first thing I did was modify it... cheeky

Like most carts, it comes stock with two casters, and a solid axle on the other end.

I wanted four casters, so I can roll the thing around any way I want.  Also makes it easier to roll into a corner or up against a wall for storage.  Because of the design of the underside, I ended up relocating the casters it came with to the other end, and bought casters an inch taller for the original location.

Fortunately, they are the same bolt pattern and bolted right up.

At the other end, I had to cut the axles and add some 3/4" square tube to achieve the right hight to have the cart level.  I then welded on the casters, tying them into the axle and sides for strength.  Now it's free to roll!

Loaded up with all my welding gear...

Obviously, I'll be getting larger tanks next time I need gas...

This thing swallowed all the gear off both my old carts, the plasma, and I even emptied a drawer out of my toolbox that had some MIG parts.  Plus my helmet will go inside, rather than hanging off a bottle valve or banging around on the bench.  I call that a win.  laugh

Now that the welding gear is consolidated, I need to get started on the bench.  I think that's going to have to wait until after the holidays.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/23/18 9:00 a.m.

I need to pick your brain on miata stuff, now that I'm about to add one to my garage...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/23/18 9:39 a.m.

The HRE are so choice 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/25/18 10:53 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I found your thread... looks like you got a lot of input already but I threw in my $.02.  wink

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/25/18 10:53 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

They are pretty, aren't they!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/25/18 11:38 a.m.

Prettier than my wife, weighs less, and more useful too 

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners