1 2 3 ... 6
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/12 7:09 p.m.

Well, the golf cart is done, the grass is mowed and fertilized, the house is washed and the shop is mostly straight, sort of, if you don't count the bench covered with junk. At any rate, it's time for another project. Not too big or expensive though. I'm lazy and cheap.

Y'all have probably seen the gas turbines made using a turbocharger. Well, I'm going to build one like this.

It's actually a turbo shaft engine that's going to end up on a pit cart. Smaller than a golf cart and bigger than a bar stool racer. It will be loud, obnoxious and dangerous. Should fit in at Lemons quite nicely.

Most of my inspiration and the place I steal ideas comes from this guy. He has a well documented build that I'm copying. http://www.rcdon.com/html/experimental_projects.html If you get the urge to waste countless hours, click the link.

Starting with the combustor chamber. It's made out of a piece of scrap exhaust pipe 3 1/2" necked down to 1 7/8" and welded to a plate.

Moving on to the combustor liner. Also made out of exhaust pipe. This time 2 1/2 inch.

There are 52 holes drilled in it to allow air into the burn chamber. It's welded to a disk of plate that will hold the spark plug and the fuel orifice. This will be bolted in the combustor chamber. Next to it you can see the flange ring that will be welded to the combustor chamber. Lathes are wonderful things.

Bolted up:

You can also see the air inlet tube. It's made out of a scrap piece of roll bar tubing.

Spark plug and fuel orifice installed. For testing purposes the plug is being fired using a neon power supply.

This is the combustor mostly finished other than cleaning it up and making it pretty. It's clamped to an engine stand for testing. I used my leaf blower for air. It seems to work properly. We'll see when I get the rest of the thing built.

I also completed a frame to mount it to for testing.

And this is the beast mostly complete as far as the mechanics go.

I still have to design and build an oil pump system capable of keeping it lubed and cooled as well as build the shaft turbine.

Updates as they happen.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
4/15/12 7:16 p.m.

As an engineer at a jet engine company, this is relevant to my interests.

I happen to have access to some big ole truck turboz, and I have a lawn mower that could use a little more power.... I'd just need to gear it down somehow.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/15/12 10:14 p.m.

Be sure to aim the exhaust straight back. Residual thrust is cool. Please say that you'll add an afterburner if it all works.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
4/15/12 10:17 p.m.

following with much interest.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/15/12 11:06 p.m.

Oh my, yes!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/16/12 7:27 a.m.

So that's why the supply of miscellaneous tubing there is shrinking. You stay out of my 13B stuff, ya hear?

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
4/16/12 7:43 a.m.

Oh. Oh my.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/16/12 7:45 a.m.

We've been "talking" about doing this for the Challenge for years. Way to geet errr dunn. Maybe we can race in the pits at lemons next year

BenB
BenB New Reader
4/16/12 10:07 a.m.

Added bonus, you'll also be able to use it to keep your beer cold: Jet-powered beer cooler

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/12 10:32 a.m.

I think I see a new challenge competition

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/16/12 10:37 a.m.

I like this. Lots. Where's the subscribe button...?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/16/12 10:37 a.m.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/16/12 10:45 a.m.

This belongs here more than any other thread!!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/16/12 11:40 a.m.

yes please

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/16/12 11:47 a.m.

Ok, so the jet powered bike did 71mph on a dry lake. My OLD C-110 50cc Honda would do that on I-71. For a lot less money.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
4/16/12 11:58 a.m.
cwh wrote: Ok, so the jet powered bike did 71mph on a dry lake. My OLD C-110 50cc Honda would do that on I-71. For a lot less money.

but nowhere near as cool..

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/16/12 12:08 p.m.

I'll give you that. Quieter, too.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
4/16/12 12:11 p.m.

AND roast marshmellows

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
4/16/12 12:19 p.m.

AND scare small children and dogs

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
4/16/12 12:20 p.m.

What's the largest turbocharger ever made? And can I convert it to a gas turbine to run a fox-body Mustang?

B430
B430 New Reader
4/16/12 12:32 p.m.

Might be a tight fit in a mustang.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
4/16/12 12:35 p.m.
B430 wrote: Might be a tight fit in a mustang.

Holy carp.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/16/12 2:14 p.m.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/16/12 2:14 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: What's the largest turbocharger ever made? And can I convert it to a gas turbine to run a fox-body Mustang?

Rolls Royce-Allison 250-C40B series engine, makes 715 shaft horsepower and weighs 173 lbs.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
4/16/12 2:32 p.m.

SOoooo lets say you have ten turbos laying around, some box tubing ........

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T7OMO67yVnNDfp7b9Udr6XEK4N2uSRosawwoplcSey8qj5Tz6sO3JEDTuLeUiqJX