1 2
t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/1/15 9:22 a.m.

Good morning guys and gals and welcome to the start of a new project for me. I've been putting this off for a while, but being recently laid off I find myself flush with free time and this seams like a good way to waste it. So what's this project? It's going to be transforming my small 20x20 "two" car garage from a storage facility into a car hobbyist paradise on a relative budget.

The plan includes lots of storage, lots of cleanup, and lots of work. I want to install an in floor scissor lift, possibly split A/C (it is Florida after all)and also raise the ceilings to allow more over head room for raising the car. The latter part of that work will need an engineer to come out and look things over and tell me if I can actually do that or not. So I'll be lining up one of those in the next week or so, but in the mean time I'm going to dive into the cleanup phase.

I'll go ahead and admit it. I've been spoiled, for about 7 years now I haven't had a garage smaller than a 30x30, so getting this smaller garage setup the way I want will be the key to me being productive with the smaller square footage and being happy with it.

After moving in December the garage has became a storage facility, and that just won't do, I've been getting rid of stuff left and right on Craigslist and got rid of the bulk of stuff. At least to where I could get a car in there. ANd here's the pictures to prove it.

Where the BMW sits in that picture is about where I want the lift to go. I need it offset from the center to match the roof center line so when I raise the ceiling it will have the most lift area there.

Hmm where am I going to put all this junk?

I'm gonna need some extra storage here, there's just no room in this place for this stuff, and with no basement, it's gonna have to go outside.

I called around, got a few estimates and finally decided on a 10x12 metal shed. I was going to build one myself, but with the hurricane codes and zoning I didn't want to chance it and went with a shed maker on their approved list.

Here it is all nestled in. Had them space it out so I can park the boat beside it.

Yeah this will do nicely, plenty of space for my junk.

Shelves starting to go up.

Moving day! Lets fill these shelves.

I picked up some bike pulley systems from Harbor Freight, those will go into the shed to get the bikes and Ol' St. Nick off the floor, I also picked up some clear bins from Costo to put the bird seed in and get it and some more stuff off the floor.

Ahh this is looking better, also got a chance to put my son to work. Sweep boy sweep!

Time to tackle these walls. This pegboard and wood paneling needs to go.

This stuff will stay in the garage, except for the microwave, I installed that in the kitchen last week.

These boxes are full of model cars I haven't built yet. I haven't decided if I'm hanging on to them or if they are headed to ebay.

These shelves are coming down to be moved to a different wall, and that little ledge will get trimmed off them.

All this stuff is getting move to the opposite wall.

I picked up these metal cabinets off Craigslist for only $75! Spring loaded doors, and cool latches, I pretty much stole them.

So this is where it's at today. I took measurements of all the cabinets and items that I plan on keeping in the garage and made a mock up in Google Sketchup of how they can be arranged.

I also made a mock up of the possible finished project if I were to paint all the cabinets to look the same and tiled the floor.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/1/15 10:35 a.m.

Nice plan. As someone who has had to live with a similar setup (mine is 24x22' IIRC, and I have a big shed in the backyard as well), I can sympathize.

Anyhow, I have a build thread for mine over on GJ, maybe it will give you ideas for space-saving stuff on a budget....

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198129

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/1/15 12:14 p.m.

Great score on the cabinets!
That looks like a great plan.
One thing I did to gain more storage was to build 18" deep shelves on top of my cabinets and bench. Looks like your walls aren't as high, but maybe some plywood with brackets from the ceiling?

dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/1/15 12:43 p.m.

id be happy with 20x20 but its always neat to see how people manage to arrange and cram stuff in for the most space!

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/1/15 2:35 p.m.
XLR99 wrote: Great score on the cabinets! That looks like a great plan. One thing I did to gain more storage was to build 18" deep shelves on top of my cabinets and bench. Looks like your walls aren't as high, but maybe some plywood with brackets from the ceiling?

In the plans I have the tops of the cabinets at 13" from the ceiling, which is 8 foot from the floor. Not sure if I'll add some extra deeper cabinets on top of those, well see once I get them all hung and stuff put away. I'm trying to keep as much stuff behind doors as possible with nothing just hanging out.

I also still have room on the shelves in the shed too, so some stuff will end up out there.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/1/15 3:25 p.m.

Partway through the first post I was saying "dude needs a shed", glad that worked out.
Is there a way you could build a little 24x24 or so closet (for lack of a better term) on the outside of the back of the building to house the compressor? Plumb the line through the wall? It would free up space and reduce noise a LOT.
Cabinets are awesome. Jealous of them.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/1/15 3:29 p.m.

In reply to t25torx:

Nice score on the metal cabinets.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
3/1/15 4:00 p.m.

Some things you're missing (if you can find the room):

Fridge-keeps you from dragging dirt into the house for a beverage. Also gives you more freezer space for those Thanksgiving leftovers.

Sink-even a tiny one would be a huge bonus. Again keeps you from tracking dirt into the house if all you need to do is wash your hands.

Compressor enclosure-I was never a fan of mounting them outside. Temp drops can cause condensation, critters can chew wiring, and they can be stolen without breaking into your house. Build a cheap "closet" around it (the front corner mounting is probably best) and now it is more isolated. Bonus: put racks/shallow shelves in there for your mops/brooms/cleaning products to keep them out of the way and out of sight.

Garbage can-you're gonna need one. Get the biggest one you can fit and still lift when full of kitty litter.

Parts storage-cabinets are great, but lots of auto parts just don't fit in them. I would take the cabinets off the back wall and make a second row under the ones on the right side. Then put a pallet rack against the now empty wall. Make the first shelf extra tall so you can slide engines and bulky equipment underneath.

Lastly-where does the engine hoist live?

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/1/15 9:04 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Some things you're missing (if you can find the room): Fridge-keeps you from dragging dirt into the house for a beverage. Also gives you more freezer space for those Thanksgiving leftovers. Sink-even a tiny one would be a huge bonus. Again keeps you from tracking dirt into the house if all you need to do is wash your hands. Compressor enclosure-I was never a fan of mounting them outside. Temp drops can cause condensation, critters can chew wiring, and they can be stolen without breaking into your house. Build a cheap "closet" around it (the front corner mounting is probably best) and now it is more isolated. Bonus: put racks/shallow shelves in there for your mops/brooms/cleaning products to keep them out of the way and out of sight. Garbage can-you're gonna need one. Get the biggest one you can fit and still lift when full of kitty litter. Parts storage-cabinets are great, but lots of auto parts just don't fit in them. I would take the cabinets off the back wall and make a second row under the ones on the right side. Then put a pallet rack against the now empty wall. Make the first shelf extra tall so you can slide engines and bulky equipment underneath. Lastly-where does the engine hoist live?

Not doing a fridge out there, I told the wife, anything that isn't auto related is NOT getting put out here.

I may end up doing a compressor enclosure down the road, mostly for noise control, because man is this thing loud.

I have access to the big garbage can right outside the door, so no need for a huge one inside.

I don't want any cabinets down low to obstruct an opening car door. If I have to, I have some extra shelving units I haven't built yet in the shed, I can bring them in and set them up for oddball parts if I have to on the back wall. A pallet rack would be way too wide and I wouldn't be able to pull my truck in if I had to.

No engine hoist yet, I'll get one that folds up for easy storage when I do.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/2/15 11:50 a.m.

This morning I got Santa flying high with one of the bike pulley systems.

Which frees up some more floor space right here, for more stuff from the garage.

I started moving the cabinets over to the other side, Still not sure what is the better place for the compressor.

Here's another place were I might have to move things around a bit. This breaker panel is full, no room for any more circuits. I'll need to add a sub panel on for all the stuff I want to run in the garage.

java230
java230 New Reader
3/2/15 12:11 p.m.

Looking good! Reminds me I really need to clean out my garage. There are currently zero cars able to fit in it.

zracre1
zracre1 New Reader
3/2/15 1:32 p.m.

Can you build an out door cabinet for the compressor? I did that in my old house (Naples FL) and it worked out great as the noise was down...

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/15 3:00 p.m.

Nice work. Wheels wheels wheels wheels. Nothing like being able to make anything fit your current need. Check my thread too, I (like to think, at least) have some good and easy storage solutions in there.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/rcutclifs-garage-build/96035/page1/

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/15 3:03 p.m.

Why not just put in a whole new larger panel rather than putting in a sub?

Man, I really need to clean out my garage. I also need a shed. I have a walk out basement, but it's annoying to keep the lawn mower and snow blower in there.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/15 3:12 p.m.

Oh! almost forgot.

A good buddy of mine has metal cabinets like that in his kitchen. He did a remodel, and had them all repainted with automotive paint and a spray gun. They are literally some of the best-looking cabinets I have come across. I would suspect yours will take paint quite well, and they will have an excellent 'automotive' look.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/2/15 4:00 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Why not just put in a whole new larger panel rather than putting in a sub? Man, I really need to clean out my garage. I also need a shed. I have a walk out basement, but it's annoying to keep the lawn mower and snow blower in there.

I think that's what will end up happening. I've got a thread over on GJ and that seams to be the best solution.

zracre1 said: Can you build an out door cabinet for the compressor? I did that in my old house (Naples FL) and it worked out great as the noise was down...

I might do that. Once I get my fence put up then I'll probably build a little place for it outside. Yeah it's super loud.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/2/15 5:19 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: Oh! almost forgot. A good buddy of mine has metal cabinets like that in his kitchen. He did a remodel, and had them all repainted with automotive paint and a spray gun. They are literally some of the best-looking cabinets I have come across. I would suspect yours will take paint quite well, and they will have an excellent 'automotive' look.

Yeah I think some aircraft stripper is in the future for these guys, then some single stage urethane car paint like the stuff I used on the BMW. I can't decide if I want to do the craftsman theme on them or not. They are really begging for a cool '50's hammertone finish.

brad131a4
brad131a4 New Reader
3/2/15 6:38 p.m.

Just curious what size is your panel? 200 or 125? Also what brand panel? If you all ready have a 200 amp then you can use some combo peanut breakers. On most 200 amp panels on the inside sticker it will have a 30/40 space marking on it. If so then it was designed to use the peanut breakers and it would be a lot less expensive to put a few of them in and run a few more outlets.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/3/15 9:07 a.m.

In reply to brad131a4:

So all the 120V circuits in the panel are already running the "peanut" breakers. After the responses I got over on the GJ forums, it's pretty clear I just need to put in a newer Square-D panel as this one is obsolete and the mains 200A breaker is an older Zinsco style. Looks like an expensive call to an electrician is in order.

Here's what I have going on in that panel.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
3/3/15 9:51 a.m.

I have the same basic 20 X 20 South FL garage. The compressors will overheat during extended use here if you box them in unless you have cooling fans. I've been keeping mine by the outside side door so the fans I use in the doorway to draw air through the garage suck the warm air from the compressor out the door.

My shop build, I need to update. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/married-do-not-try-this/27721/page1/

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%2014%20Car%20Performance%20Therapy/011_zpsnmgnmku7.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/customer%20cars/022_zps7bc341b9.jpg.html][/URL]

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/15 10:58 a.m.
t25torx wrote: In reply to brad131a4: So all the 120V circuits in the panel are already running the "peanut" breakers. After the responses I got over on the GJ forums, it's pretty clear I just need to put in a newer Square-D panel as this one is obsolete and the mains 200A breaker is an older Zinsco style. Looks like an expensive call to an electrician is in order. Here's what I have going on in that panel.

Yeah, but once you have the new panel in you will be golden, it will be worth the money. You'll be much better off than if you tried to hack something into the existing.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/3/15 12:18 p.m.

Ill be watching. Im in the same boat as you.

brad131a4
brad131a4 New Reader
3/3/15 9:07 p.m.

What does the main breaker say on it for amps? If it's 200 then a new panel with more spaces can just be swapped for the existing one. Even if you have to go up to a 200 amp panel it shouldn't take more than a day to do the swap. Too bad your on the wrong cost as I do these for fun when I can. Little different from working on the commercial side all the time.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/4/15 8:55 p.m.

+1 for the shed, it was going to be my 1st suggestion too. Is this garage planned for parking 2 cars or just one project? That will affect your placement of equipment. Can you move the water heater? Is it gas?

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/8/15 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

Mostly just one project, but I should have enough room to park the wife's car inside beside the project if I have to, or that's the plan at least.

I made some more progress yesterday, went and picked up the wall anchors I was needing so I could start hanging cabinets. Started with the back wall as all the cabinets are the same height and would be easier to get setup correctly. These older units are not what I would call light, and by the last one I was pretty beat, I'm getting soft in my older age .

Used a 2x4 screwed into the studs for some support and to keep things level.

Close enough for me.

Two down two to go, had to move the 2x4 over for the next two to ride on.

The screws I'm using are the toggler 3/16" with some big washers.

One wall of cabinets done!

Moved the compressor over near the front as the guys on GJ suggested.

Then I moved the Tall cabinet over to the back wall.

I plan on building the other cabinets I got of CL today and getting those hung up also.

I also bought a hammer drill at Harbor Freight yesterday so I screw into the concrete wall above my desk. Not sure what type of anchors I'm going to use on those, I tried drilling into the wall for the toggle bolts but couldn't hit an open spot in the blocks for the toggle to open up in. May just have to use Tapcons.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZucR0oBeHlH1VJvqnxfkvfh77HoBkKNUwNvtkO9dzZDmVu0FftE3nBxkMg27jjb