1 2 3
nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/19/12 11:27 p.m.

Well I finally received my order. Three gallons of white plasti-dip arrived today.

If the weather cooperates I would love to get it done this weekend.

The car is in various stages of sanded original paint and primer where I've been chasing the rust away. I did a test section on about a 6"x6" area of the hood which had both primer and original paint on it. I sprayed four coats of black let it sit for a day in the 100*+ heat and it peeled of fine.

The main reason why I am attempting this is the E21 is my only car. I have been working on it as time and money allows since spring with a goal to have it painted by fall. I'm getting fairly close with the car prep but being my only transportation I can only tear it down so far. I really need to pull the windshield and rear window to fix some rust in the channel. And the windshield is in desperate need of replacement. I need to upgrade my air compressor and build a temporary spray booth, all of which are not in the budget for the foreseeable future. So to buy me some time to get some more money saved up and protect my fresh body work with something other than just primer I thought I would give this a shot. I'm going to try and make it last until this time next year.

I'll go ahead and post up some before pictures. These are the newest I have but I have done quite a bit more work on the car since I took these.

I am going to go ahead and paint the window trim semi-gloss black as well as the mirror.and door handles.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
7/20/12 12:54 a.m.

Awesome! Good luck; can't wait to see how it looks!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/12 6:32 a.m.

It's almost desert-camo in those pics. While I'm absolutely thrilled you're doing the plasti-dip(I'm strongly considering it for one of the Europas), I can help but think a nice Desert Fox motif would be perfect for your E21!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/20/12 7:57 a.m.

I like where this thread is going

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
7/20/12 7:58 a.m.
petegossett wrote: It's almost desert-camo in those pics. While I'm absolutely thrilled you're doing the plasti-dip(I'm strongly considering it for one of the Europas), I can help but think a nice Desert Fox motif would be perfect for your E21!

^^^ THIS. OMG OMG THIS.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
7/20/12 9:08 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
petegossett wrote: It's almost desert-camo in those pics. While I'm absolutely thrilled you're doing the plasti-dip(I'm strongly considering it for one of the Europas), I can help but think a nice Desert Fox motif would be perfect for your E21!
^^^ THIS. OMG OMG THIS.

PLUS 1 MORE ON THIS!!!!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
7/20/12 9:28 a.m.

Wasn't going to say it, but because everyone else did, I kinda like it the way it is

But actually painting it is probably better on a number of levels, too.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/12 9:58 a.m.

I'm considering plasti-dipping one of my projects. Did you go the Wagner/ dipyourcar.com route, or are you going to thin it and spray it with a HVLP gun?

RossD
RossD UltraDork
7/20/12 10:02 a.m.

What are the pros/cons for this?

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
7/20/12 10:09 a.m.

Interested in how this goes

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
7/20/12 11:00 a.m.
RossD wrote: What are the pros/cons for this?

Pro's easy application, you can literally spray over trim and windows then peel it off.

Semi-permanant, it stays put on the car but you can peel it off when you are ready for real paint or just a change of pace

Cons....um...well it's not real paint, I guess that's a con. And I don't know what the life expenctancy is for it.

Watching this one too, I think my miata is gonna get dipped.

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
7/20/12 11:07 a.m.

I'm curious as well.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/12 11:14 a.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/20/12 12:26 p.m.

stay away from gravel trucks on the freeway...will end up looking like a pumpkin taking a blast of buckshot

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/20/12 1:21 p.m.

I'd be worried that somehow water could get under the coating and rust even quicker.

Tyler H
7/20/12 2:31 p.m.

I know a guy that plasti-dipped his MR2 Turbo a year ago and it still looks good....still peelable and not pockmarked.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/20/12 3:28 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I'm considering plasti-dipping one of my projects. Did you go the Wagner/ dipyourcar.com route, or are you going to thin it and spray it with a HVLP gun?

I plan to spray it with my HVLP primer gun. From what I've seen it seems to be close to the consistancy of 2K primer. If the test's don't go well I can always use my regular HVLP gun or play with thinning it more. I bought it pre thinned from dipyourcar.com.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/20/12 3:34 p.m.

HMM I seem to recall them having some camo colors available.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/20/12 4:17 p.m.

They do have some camo colors

Looking forward to this one

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
7/20/12 4:26 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I plan to spray it with my HVLP primer gun. From what I've seen it seems to be close to the consistancy of 2K primer. If the test's don't go well I can always use my regular HVLP gun or play with thinning it more. I bought it pre thinned from dipyourcar.com.

I'd like to do the same - can't wait to hear/see how it works out.

Tyler H
7/20/12 4:49 p.m.

This is the most hater-free, unanimous post I've seen in a while. Smells like article material. Quick...someone go sell advertising to dipyourcar.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/21/12 10:12 p.m.

Well woke up this morning with a 30% chance of rain all day. Spent the morning helping my father in law build a clubhouse for my boy. At noon as I was eating some lunch the power went out. It stayed out until around seven. There went spraying the car today.

I did take the opportunity to paint the window trim, mirror, wiper arms and door handles with semi- gloss black paint.

I also used a couple cans of black plasti-dip to black out the rear panel between the taillights, lower rocker panels and the front spoiler. When I paint I plan to tape them off and stay away from the tape until the end then load it up along the tape line and quickly pull the tape off so it doesn't have time to skin over and peel off when I pull the tape.

We have the same chance for rain tomorrow and it's been stupid humid so I should probably wait until a better day. Knowing my impatient ass though I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the progress.

Really wish I had a garage, I would have so stayed up all night and got this done tonight. I'm starting to get excited.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/21/12 11:42 p.m.

Good luck. I'm in love with the concept of plasti-dip.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/22/12 9:06 a.m.

Here is hoping for better weather today

former520
former520 Reader
7/22/12 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

There is nothing worse than getting too anxious and going for it when the weather is not quite right and having to do it over again. I just did that (way too hot) and got the most orange peely clear coat over what was a really good repair and base coat.

I am excited to see it as well. This dip may just be what the doctor ordered for off road days and track days in lieu of painters tape.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
USl4jOwPerYmnfp4uvpMDykUKMH2EEu0Vzn8HdnJi4NYdYWJ6TFUU50Lesb9YyaW