1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 54
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/9/17 1:47 p.m.

You have motivated me to get the drivetrain back in the challenge car tonight just so I don't feel like a complete slacker.

Thanks!

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/17 1:54 p.m.

I like tacos.

Sigh.

Garage night tonight!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/9/17 2:20 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Threads like this make me feel like a lazy sack of potatoes. I think I'm going to go change my car's oil so I feel like I'm not a complete failure at being a gearhead.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been putting off my Saturn's timing belt change for like 7k miles and counting...

LSxDreamer
LSxDreamer New Reader
2/9/17 6:17 p.m.

This is such a fun project to watch, keep up the progress!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/9/17 9:46 p.m.

You goaded me into the shop to actually get some fab work done that I have been avoiding.

maschinenbau
2/20/17 8:50 a.m.

Got a whole wheel on the ground, but just barely!

Machining slots and holes in the control arm mounts with a buddy's wobbly HF vertical mill. Got the job done though.

These mounts will be fully boxed in for strength, and two taller vertical plates added in the middle for shock mount.

Also found these school bus seats locally for $10 each.

One of them will be cut up to fit around the driveshaft tunnel. For now, they are great for bonfires!

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/20/17 9:47 a.m.

Very nice!!! 1/4 of the way to being a roller

maschinenbau
2/22/17 12:30 p.m.

I got the other wheel on the ground and mocked up the steering rack. Looks like the steering shaft will go right along the frame, over the black subframe, and under the engine mount. I could not have planned it better myself. Once the rack is mounted and the GSXR600 shocks arrive in the mail, I can mount those, box in everything, and put some weight on it

Also, I really need a steering column and wheel for $40 or less. I can't seem to find something that's old enough to be simple and elegant, new enough to have tilt, but cheap enough to fit in the budget. I still have the Lexus steering column ($free), but it is bulky, ugly, and contains a lot of power adjustment gizmos and mechanisms that don't seem to be removable. Maybe I'm just being picky.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/22/17 12:52 p.m.

What about one from a Neon? Should have the tilt, would be able to do an aftermarket wheel, if you can find one should be cheap.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
2/22/17 1:12 p.m.

Maybe troll craigslist for partouts of older cars/trucks which would have the right "look"?

Crackers
Crackers Reader
2/22/17 1:14 p.m.

GM reman keyless tilt columns run about $180 on eBay.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
2/22/17 1:18 p.m.

I've been considering this kit for $270. Riveted wood steering wheel and tilt column with cancel switch.

eBay linky

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/22/17 1:23 p.m.

I believe the older Jeep Cherokee such as late eighties used a tilt GM column that should be easily adaptable

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/22/17 2:10 p.m.

GM put that basic tilt column in basically everything and then some (e.g. Jeeps) for decades, a pick and pull with anything from the early 90s on back should be full of them with non airbag wheels. Just don't expect the turn signal to self cancel on left turns, I forget what it is but it's some cheap little part that's a pain to replace.

maschinenbau
2/22/17 2:10 p.m.

Good tip on the Cherokees, Dusterbd13. Looks like they had the "classic" style up through 1994, and many of them have tilt. I even like the wheel design. Hot search of the day: craislist> auto parts> "parting" and scroll to old looking stuff. I'm finding a few early Cherokees in my area with missing 4.0's but present and unappreciated steering columns.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
2/22/17 5:30 p.m.

If you look up pullapart and picapart in indy I can pull you one if you can't find one elsewhere

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/23/17 8:28 a.m.

I've got complete tilt column from an '87 T-bird Turbo Coupe that you could have for $40. Keeps that part in the Ford family. Keys and steering wheel included. Bonus: Keys say "Turbo" on them.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/23/17 8:30 a.m.

I've also got a complete column from a Merkur XR4Ti if you want that. Much lighter and simpler, but NO tilt. (keys and wheel in tact on this one too) Far East side of Indy.

maschinenbau
2/23/17 8:49 a.m.

Indy-Guy,

Pics? It will likely come down to steering wheel aesthetics. Color me very interested and likely to buy this weekend. I'm down in Columbus but will meet you anywhere.

With m'lady out of town, this weekend is entirely devoted to the Rice Rod, so you and any other GRMers are gladly welcomed. Fridge will be stocked of course

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/23/17 9:05 a.m.

Actual pics not available until tonight, but here are some I grabbed from the interwebs for reference:

Turbo Coupe (tilt)

Merkur:

maschinenbau
2/23/17 10:37 a.m.

Package deal on both?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/23/17 12:04 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Package deal on both?

Sure thing, you can come get both for $75, and then see which one fits your constraints best. I'm probably held captive at home this weekend. Because Honey-Do list

Just might, be able to meet south side near Menards off 65. But best bet is swing by though.

maschinenbau
2/24/17 9:12 a.m.

New goodies arrived from fleabay

5/8" heim joints, LH and RH, and weld-in tube bung. "Used - came off race car". Sweet.

06 GSXR600 rear coilovers. These things are dirt cheap because all the sport bike guys like to upgrade. These are probably a bit stiff, at 525 lbs/in. If I don't like them, I can swap in a softer one from a slightly older model.

If anyone else is interested in motorcycle coilovers, here is a good resource for OEM springs rates

Guess I have some building to do this weekend

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
2/24/17 9:26 a.m.

I use 2006 Yamaha R1 coilovers on the Pink Panther and they have worked great so far, but travel is limited so I have to be careful with wheel rates. I think the springs are 575 lb/in [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/loosecannon/media/MGB-GT/IMG_7165_zps98es9sce.jpg.html][/URL]

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
2/24/17 2:45 p.m.

I may be able to help out with getting the steering columns from Indy guy to you. You still have my number?

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XQM1jgsVqOcCDYpjgPuVjMax5znWzD6EDSgYBS4MrcR35nqsErTdd9tjjsnjCapp