1 ... 17 18 19
jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
12/7/17 10:22 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Are you concerned that the steering appears to be the lowest point of the car?

I had the same thought....  hitting a chunk of firewood that fell off of that overloaded Bounder on the freeway and losing steering sounds, uh, adventurous. :)

at the least, maybe a really beefy skid plate?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
12/7/17 10:47 a.m.

I was thinking of a lower shield made of half of an exhaust pipe, at least for that front section that hangs pretty low. However the radiator will definitely be lower and in front of it. Followed by engine cross member, which is conveniently 1" lower and in front of the oil pan to guard that. Low life...it is real.

Here's my N/A exhaust plan. Lakester-style header with a flange for optional side dump. Yes it will have a cat.

Kinda like this, but 6 runners instead of 4. And the "quiet mode" pipe diverts in front of the firewall then down before snaking under the body. My car is too low for the routing below the frame, like pictured here.

Image result for lakester headers

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
12/7/17 10:52 a.m.

I don't know, having a safety-critical steering component inches from the pavement is pretty berkeleying rat rod if you're going for that sort of thing devil

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/7/17 11:33 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I was thinking of a lower shield made of half of an exhaust pipe, at least for that front section that hangs pretty low. However the radiator will definitely be lower and in front of it. Followed by engine cross member, which is conveniently 1" lower and in front of the oil pan to guard that. Low life...it is real.

Here's my N/A exhaust plan. Lakester-style header with a flange for optional side dump. Yes it will have a cat.

You're the real hero here. Are you planning on retaining the Lexus ECU? That's some great work on the linkages.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
12/7/17 11:53 a.m.

Yes it will retain the original Lexus ECU, trimmed harness, and even the fuel pump while it is still N/A. 

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/7/17 2:02 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Thanks Duder! I've been following your Viccup thread pretty closely too and I really love what you're doing. In the next week or so, I am building an under-bed storage space since I have the same shallow-bed problem as you. 

For the steering rack, I was going to follow this GRMer's write-up of de-powering it for his ChumpCar (about mid-way down the page)

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/chumpcar-1992-lexus-sc300/75586/page4/

Looking forward to following your hot rod project. I like the Miata subframe idea. There's no build thread, but that's essentially what the Georgia Tech Wreck Racing team did with their turbo 2JZ MG Midget. 2x4 frame rails and a Miata subframe and arms just drop right out, but the engine stays bolted to the chassis. It was really simple to work on and handled very well, finishing top 3 in autocross at the Challenge. I know because I helped build it :) If you want a good handling hot rod with a solid axle, you can't really beat a 3-link  + panhard bar. There is almost no chance of binding like with a 4-link. It is just harder to package, as you can tell by my lack of bed space.

Good deal man. We are probably going to revise our Viccup bed plan a bit, but should still include an under-floor trunk compartment.

Re: steering rack, everything that that guy did in the link still applies. But the pinion shaft that he removed is more than just a simple shaft. It's a multi-piece arrangement with the valve assembly and some kind of internal torsion bar. If you don't lock it out, you'll have an extra few degrees of slop in the steering wheel during steering input as the torsion bar is torqued and until the external splines lock out and directly connect the input side to the output side. One solution is welding the spline joint solid, rendering the torsion bar ineffective. That all being said, you may never notice this extra play, especially with tall, narrow tires.

That's awesome that you have experience with the Miata subframeidea in another vehicle. Midget or MGB would be an ideal candidate too, but I have this '32 pickup body sitting around that finally needs to get built into something someday!

1 ... 17 18 19
Our Preferred Partners
hNlXFWxVpnYlCBzf7PwGFsejBxX33joE