1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/4/18 9:48 a.m.

I don't know anything about sound deadening but when I see the silver bubble wrap used it completely covers the surface and is taped at the seems.  With this black mat, is it not important to get full coverage?  I can see where the pieces would reduce vibration of the metal but it just seems to my feeble mind that full coverage would be better?  Wrong?  Or, is the pieces approach just a cost saving measure?  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/4/18 10:21 a.m.

The black matting (McMaster carr mastic, very similar properties to dynamat at 1/10 the cost) is used to dampen panel vibration. Over the years, ive learned that 60-80% coverage is plenty to dampen 90% of the panel resonance. This works over things like rattles, drones, and the tinny/loose sound when you rap a panel with a knuckle, shut a door, or hit a frist heave. 

The jute takes care of more of the panel vibrations, as well as transmitted noise from outside. Again, 60-80% coverage  takes care of 90% of that noise.

The foil is purely for heat/cold transferrance. Makes ac/heat work better in the cab by reducing the amount coming in from outside. 100% coverage is best, but not always feasable due to panel fitment.

This is all based on my ears, and experience. Im sure empirical testing would prove me wrong on every count, but my ears and butt cant tell much of a difference between what i do and 100% coverage. Definitely not enough to justify the time and added expense of 100% coverage. 

Dies that help?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/4/18 12:23 p.m.

Yies, that does help.   Thanks.

Mom would be proud; I learned something today.  

Dusterbd13-michael
12/4/18 1:13 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You're welcome! Happy to pass along lessons ive learned. 

Hopefully it's useful!

Dusterbd13-michael
12/4/18 4:03 p.m.

Tonights goal is to make it drivable again. 

Bubble wrap, seat, seatbelts, and tape up wiring to roof and floor. Oh, and trailer wiring. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/5/18 6:52 a.m.

got here. Whats not shown us the back cab wall insulation and carpet are done, new rear speakers, and tge compass/temp/autodim mirrow wiring done, but the autodim is dead.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/5/18 6:53 a.m.

That was a seriously interrupted 3 hours.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/5/18 9:45 a.m.

jut had 30 minutes this morning 

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
12/5/18 2:49 p.m.

this is inpirational. Seriously. What you guys do with an hour of time is amazing.

I've never found autodim to my liking. It's never dim enough when I need it to be and it's always slow. I prefer the old shine it at the ceiling manual dimmers, but to each their own. keep on with your keeping on. It's a darn right purdy truck.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/5/18 4:14 p.m.

Only about 15 minutes so far today but it was enough time to figure out that I had wired the auto dim wrong. And that I cannot reinstall the headliner by myself. So the auto dim works and the console and headliner are ready to go up end of the truck as soon as I get a second set of hands

Dusterbd13-michael
12/5/18 4:31 p.m.

In reply to FunkyCricket :

I get so much accomplished by the methods i described. Plan your work, work your plan. 

A generally well organized workspace helps immensely. Not wasting time looking for tools and supplies. 

Im going to go clean parts next. Get ready for dye, as the interior is 50 shades of grey and it bothers me....

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/18 6:51 a.m.

Door panel cleaned, but not dyed yet. The one on the left was the clean and nice one when installed in the truck. 

carpet before superclean and a stiff brush 

after. Theres verylittle hope for this carpet, but no money for new. Well see what i can do. It looks much better in person, but its still really bad.

Ive also been epoxying tabs and clips back on the plastics.

~2 hours

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/18 7:14 a.m.

There are carpet dies.  They come is spray cans looking much like spray paint but it is a dye.  Im not sure how long the application lasts but it is a popular trick for refurb'ing cars to put on Used Car Lots

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/18 7:18 a.m.

Pretty much the plan. I have some here that should be a close match. But, it leaves carpes stiff, and takes a lot to get good coverage.

Well see how it works on this carpet.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
12/6/18 9:17 a.m.
John Welsh said:

There are carpet dies.  They come is spray cans looking much like spray paint but it is a dye.  Im not sure how long the application lasts but it is a popular trick for refurb'ing cars to put on Used Car Lots

Go to joanne or micheals near you. They have fabric/upholstery die that comes in a spray can. leaves stuff flexible afterward. I use it a lot for cosplay stuff. I have pics in a resent thread (on page 2) if you want to see how it looks. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/18 9:25 a.m.

In reply to FunkyCricket :

Ill have to look at that!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/6/18 9:29 a.m.

A better alternative to the spray paint dye John mentioned is the RIT clothes dye they sell at supermarkets.  You pour it in hot water and spray if out of a spray bottle.  It leaves the carpet soft unlike the spray can dye.

https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/18 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Have you tried renting a Rug Doctor with the furniture attachment? I've saved several carpets using one along with some granular tide and hot water. I pre-treat stained areas with some Resolve and a stiff brush. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/18 11:07 a.m.

In reply to mblommel :

It's hard to tell, but the carpets are seriously sun bleached in addition to the staining. So i dont think a carpet shampoo is the answer. 

How long does it take the rit dye to dry? 

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
12/6/18 12:32 p.m.

The RIT dye takes forever to set. I've used it before (not for car carpets mind you, cosplay stuff), and find the fabric dyes much easier to use, lighter coat = lighter color, touch dry in 15 to 20 minutes, set in 24 hours, but at 6-8 bucks a can, you are trying to cover a lot of area, it may not be the cheapest. it's more like I need a stripe or logo here easy button for costumes. Doesn't wash out and is as flexible as the fabric, more than a screen print.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/18 3:36 p.m.

So, the major hurdle to thus whole interior resto is i need to tow the girlscout trailer Saturday, and pick it up tonight. 

Instead of doing a nice, clean wiring job, i did this: 

Its one of the "plug and play " wiring harness. Its ugly as hell.

Is there some sort of wat to ckean it up short of removal when not in use? Right now i have the lead wrapped around the hitch.....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/18 3:40 p.m.

put some of that OEM crinkly convolute tubing around it.   at least then it will just be black.

in other news, i saw a silvery-blue GMT400 on the twisted three-spoke American Racing rims today at lunchtime and almost made my coworkers endure a trip around the block so i could snap a pic.  it was all you!

not exactly the same, but pretty close.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/18 3:50 p.m.

I appreciate the offer to make your coworkers indulge me!

Convoluted tubing will help, but is tgere a neat and clean way to actually store the harness otuer than wrapped around the hitch?

Dusterbd13-michael
12/7/18 7:32 a.m.

About an hour this morning. 

Afterwards i realized that i didn't run wiring for the trans and fuel ratio gauges....

Dusterbd13-michael
12/7/18 7:34 a.m.

If anyone finds mint grey sunvisors, let me know. These are GARBAGE. 

And near as I can tell there is no way to reupholster them

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
keJNhC5f3CW8wUrBdkIy3dHv3mHKgqIlT2q4r9D9J5DUEolR9XnQNzKeUwem4Wl3