1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 44
Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/8/18 10:19 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to driver95 :

That's good to know. I assume the security interlock stuff is still in the main computer? And is there a key available for the 7th gen cars that doesn't have buttons? I need to get a second key made and would prefer a simple one.

still has to be programmed as the key is a transponder key. I know the 2000-2003 TL keys are the same and should also work.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/8/18 12:05 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

They do have them listed, but they don't say whether they're in stock or if they have to drop ship them. If they drop ship then it's the same issue (none in the country) AND they're over $150 more expensive for the four. Thanks for the tip though.

Shocks are about the least important thing on my list right now. It looks like schedules are such that I need to get the car ready for track time the second weekend of March. That means brakes and wheels tires at a minimum. That whole "I'll spend money slowly and later" just got pushed out the window. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/18 12:12 p.m.

remember, mustang wheels are 5x114... should be a bunch of those around you.  TL wheels are frequently on CL for $200-400.

devina
devina Reader
2/8/18 12:24 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Woody :

Part of what I want to do is have the ability to move all the door wiring/controls off the doors themselves and run switches for the windows elsewhere if I decide to run different door panels. My hunch is that there is more to be saved in wiring/switches than the mirrors themselves, but I need a scale to be sure. The good thing is that manual mirrors are only $11 at the junkyard so it's cheap to bring one home to check if I can find one. Would it be weird to start carrying a kitchen scale in my junkyard bag? 

I would like to do the same on my racing integra- keeping the power mirrors and windows but want to move the switches off the door since the OEM switch location is right where the upper door bar lives.  Any idea where to look to find the wiring connectors to make a 'plug-n-play' harness extension??

mazdeuce - Seth
2/8/18 12:25 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Problem is that light proper offset 17x8's are only $133 each at Tire Rack. The factory wheels I'm seeing are heavier, narrower, and barely cheaper once you pay to have the crap tires taken off them and disposed of. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/8/18 12:29 p.m.
devina said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Woody :

Part of what I want to do is have the ability to move all the door wiring/controls off the doors themselves and run switches for the windows elsewhere if I decide to run different door panels. My hunch is that there is more to be saved in wiring/switches than the mirrors themselves, but I need a scale to be sure. The good thing is that manual mirrors are only $11 at the junkyard so it's cheap to bring one home to check if I can find one. Would it be weird to start carrying a kitchen scale in my junkyard bag? 

I would like to do the same on my racing integra- keeping the power mirrors and windows but want to move the switches off the door since the OEM switch location is right where the upper door bar lives.  Any idea where to look to find the wiring connectors to make a 'plug-n-play' harness extension??

My bet (good to check) is that the plugs are the same as a similar generation Civic. I'd go junkyard diving, grab the wiring from the switches to as far into the car as you can and use that to reroute things. Being able to reach everything when strapped in is so often overlooked. I built a super clean looking switch panel for my RX7 a couple of years ago and then found out that my hands were about three inches from it with the harness tight. The second version was reachable, but kind of ugly. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
2/8/18 1:58 p.m.

2005 and newer WRX STi wheels are 5x114.3 and high offset (~53mm).  Gold, forged BBS would like nice on the car.  I got mine cheap ($200 for all four) for my SVX when the owner pulled them off his car to replace them with Rotas. 

Also some larger platform Nissan use that BCP like the Altima, Maxima, and Infiniti G35 though with a lower offset (35-40mm).

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/8/18 2:10 p.m.

Power window and door lock switches are mounted on the center console near the shifter from the factory on my E36 M3.  cheeky

Which is, ya know, rear (proper) wheel drive!

mazdeuce - Seth
2/8/18 7:18 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I'm not going to even begin to deny that there aren't better answers to the question than an Accord. Doesn't matter. Having fun. laugh

Figured out that at 30mpg I'm burning half the gas of the R63 or the truck. Decided to do ALL the kid running in the Accord. 190 miles of kid moving, orthodontist and grocery shopping. A coupe still isn't great for getting people in and out, but they all fit. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/18 8:38 p.m.

That's great and all, but does it fit a tuba? wink

LSxDreamer
LSxDreamer New Reader
2/9/18 7:02 a.m.

I've been looking into 7G Accord sedans (as well as similar vintage Civics) for a cheap/reliable daily, so this intrigues me.  Go figure there's yet another Seth thread that I have to follow :D (seriously, there's so many that GRM really needs a "view last unread message" link/function when you open up an old thread).  The one question I have: I'm a big fanatic for older BMWs, so sites like Pelican/ECS/Turner are mainstays, but no idea of something similar for the Honda world and there's SO MUCH aftermarket (a lot of it crap) that I have no idea where to even begin researching.  Anyone here have suggestions?

mazdeuce - Seth
2/9/18 8:52 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

No tuba anymore. sad Deucekid#3 took one look at marching wiht a Tuba and decided hanging out with theater girls in air conditioning was a much better way to spend his afternoons. 

In reply to LSxDreamer :

If there is one downside to owning a Honda it's the Honda forums. There is information out there but it's a needle in a haystack type situation. These are solid cars, and they should work, but very few people (that I can find) are trying to develop them in the way that GRM people typically do. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/18 9:09 a.m.

"These are solid cars, and they should work, but very few people (that I can find) are trying to develop them in the way that GRM people typically do." IMHO this a few steps above that other appliance manufacturer ....toyota, though I must admit their(Honda) styling studio turns out a far more attractive product. Any push back from the throng on not riding in PegaCorn?  

mazdeuce - Seth
2/9/18 9:27 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

They were all disappointed when I showed up in the Accord instead of the van. laugh

I think the fundamental difference between Honda and Toyota as far as these appliances go is that Honda was still building some proper sporty cars on these platforms. The TSX-S has a six speed, and 200hp on the same general platform. The K motors came with a six speed LSD transmission on the 8th gen Civic Si. They never quite put it all together in one car, but the bits and pieces are out there. I can't find the same DNA in the Toyotas of the era. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough? 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/18 9:33 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

They were all disappointed when I showed up in the Accord instead of the van. laugh

I think the fundamental difference between Honda and Toyota as far as these appliances go is that Honda was still building some proper sporty cars on these platforms. The TSX-S has a six speed, and 200hp on the same general platform. The K motors came with a six speed LSD transmission on the 8th gen Civic Si. They never quite put it all together in one car, but the bits and pieces are out there. I can't find the same DNA in the Toyotas of the era. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough? 

Don't bother, you have way more better things to occupy your time.  I've also wondered why Honda never pursued WRC with an AWD effort.....now that might be a morsel I could digest. wink

mazdeuce - Seth
2/9/18 11:36 a.m.

Grabbed a photo off of FB of the Accord in action last Sunday. Thanks to Gabriel Rodriguez Jr. His instagram is on the photos and he provides them free to the club so long as we credit him. Cool dude. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/18 11:47 a.m.

Now that you've done this ......I'm seeing these everywhere......well more than usual.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
2/9/18 11:47 a.m.

I like black two doors. I love cheap black steelies. Party on.

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/11/18 11:53 a.m.

Wow Seth.. neat addition. Almost scary from one point. I followed the van thread because it was neat and we used to have an R. Now I see you playing with an Accord. I had two of those. I loved those cars. The first was a 2003 EX that I got new. Actually my last new car until my purchase this past summer of the van to replace the Crosstour. Then I traded in the 03 for a slightly used 04 EX because it was a 5speed. The 03 was an auto despite me wanting the 5 speed. Neat bit of trivia; during the initial production ramp up for the new 03's they built only automatics. There were no 5 speeds to be had. If I wanted one I had to order and wait. The dealer sold me the auto car at invoice and I would have had to pay more for the less expensive manual if I ordered instead. 

Anyway, I look forward to following this as much as the R. While no help in the serious track prep stuff, I hope I may be able to answer some of the more trivial questions since I did mess with both cars a little. Like about brakes... the LX trim is the only trim that had rear drum brakes. Both my EX's had rear disc brakes, and factory 16" aluminum wheels. While not "performance" brakes, you should be able to dig up a rear used setup pretty easily and they will fit behind the steel wheels..... that will get you the starting point to upgrade. It is my understanding that the hubs and such are the same across the  platform.

And since we all love pictures... the white one is the 03. The silver one is the 04. And I threw in the 17 van I got this summer for a chuckle.... 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/12/18 9:08 a.m.

In reply to JOsworth :

That's really interesting about the manual cars in '03.  I figured mine must have been ordered by a dealer as a loss leader car to show off in an ad. Look how cheap and Accord CAN be......even though you really want the four door V6 auto. 

Unfortunately for the rear brakes, it looks like a knuckle swap is necessary to get disks. While not hard, and thanks to the junk yard all the parts are readily available, I'll be sticking with drums for now because swapping knuckles seems to run afoul of a bunch of rule sets. I'm going to do something relatively idiotic to see if I can get the drums to work. We'll see how that goes. 

Did your silver car (or either one really) have fog lights? I'm hoping to find a filler panel for that area that makes brake ducting a little cleaner than just hacking holes in the ones I have. 

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/12/18 10:30 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

No, the fog lamps were an accessory. But they are very easy to add. If you look real close at your front bumper, you will see that the "grill" where the fogs would go is really just held in with a few tabs. You cut those out and the trim slides over the opening, then you attach the rear bracket to hold it in place. The entire fog kits (reproduction) are out there on E-bay for around 35.00 for the pair. Probably cheaper than just the OEM trim from somewhere. If you do decide to get the trim to make ducts note that the EXL V6 6speed cars had cooling duct trim. Maybe try and find those?

Here is an internet swiped picture of the 6 speed car. If you look real close at the lower bumper you can see that it is actual trim and not slits in the bumper cover.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/12/18 12:10 p.m.

fog lights add weight.  Weight is no good for racing.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/12/18 3:02 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy :

I don't want lights, I want plastic panels with attractive properly placed holes that I can use for brake ducting. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/12/18 3:04 p.m.

In reply to JOsworth :

Thanks for the info. Any other bits from the higher end car  I should be hunting for in the yards? There are a lot of these ripe for the picking. Maybe a gauge cluster with more gauges?

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/12/18 6:55 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to JOsworth :

Thanks for the info. Any other bits from the higher end car  I should be hunting for in the yards? There are a lot of these ripe for the picking. Maybe a gauge cluster with more gauges?

The gauges are all the same for all trims, unfortunately. Honestly, considering you are going for weight reduction, the things I added are all stuff you wouldn't want... Like on the silver car I got hold of the front leather seats from a wrecked EX-L coupe. Was able to strip the leather easily and replace the covers with mine to make mine the only EX with cloth heated power seats... LOL.. really easy to swap the seats and get power and switches. Also, I was going to upgrade the head unit to a nav unit but back then it was real expensive. Now, I think they are a lot less money. Also, they do make a double din kit for these cars as well that includes the climate control switches.. 

Back to the ducts... you can get the EX V6 6 speed ducts new still from Honda. The discount parts site ( a Honda dealer ) has them listed for $23.45 each for the cover and $31.68 for the mounting bracket.. but my guess is you can epoxy them in without the bracket and then adapt your ducts from there. The part numbers are: 71103-SDP-A00; Right front cover  71104-SDP-A00 Right front bracket 71108-SDP-A00 Left front cover 71109-SDP-A00 Left front bracket. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nITS9gXcLM37LL386rq823eUIPfDiwrNXJQJ0il6CeNWfia9LlZXUN5J4jAusalH