dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/20 9:14 a.m.

Just picked up Miata number three on Friday. Here's a little backstory

Miata #1 - 99 NB, eBay find for somewhere around $2200. Fun, overall pretty clean. Came on 949 racing wheels. 

Miata #2 - 90 NA, GRM forum find two years ago. Non-running bought tires for trade ($275) stripped weight, sold parts, off. Ended selling for the money invested in it. Build thread and history threads (add link shortly) 

Miata #3 - Saw post for free and jumped on it. Not the first reply but the first in range for pickup and called dibs. Picked it up on January 31st. So far have just cleaned it up some and moved it to my friends house for short term storage. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/20 9:50 a.m.

I miss my free Miata

TonyP
TonyP New Reader
2/4/20 4:23 a.m.

In reply to dan0 :

Bookmarked to keep tabs on the ol' gal. smiley

dan0
2/22/20 8:26 a.m.

Nothing much happening right now until winter fades away. Plus it's being stored at my friends house right now. I did sneak it out for a drive to work and back on Friday. Going to pick up some Dupli-color spray paint and primer and try to do a halfway decent spray job of the front fenders. While the paint is disappearing on other panels, having at least a more uniform silver/gray will be nice in the short term. 

Maintenance and general check over will be first. Clean up a few things. Re-wire the trailer light harness. Need to get tires and fix the bent wheel of the set I swapped on. 

Friday:

dan0
3/27/20 6:26 p.m.

Winter is officially over! Though it did snow on my birthday. Good thing I drive my Audi to work that day. 

Cleared enough room around the house (err parent's house - long story) to bring the Miata back from my friends house. Granted it was only 4 miles away but this makes it much easier to work on. 

I'm a sucker for stickers, sorry. So the roll bar is getting stickerbombed. If I change my mind on it easy enough to come off. 

First thing to nail down is the idle. It has an under drive pulley so I was warned of a weird idle and needing to blip gas a little at stoplights. I figured I'd cheat it and adjust the throttle cable to bump it a little. Weird thing is sometimes it idles high (2k) and sometimes it seems to idle perfect. 

Next happened today driving it was the tach needle would occasionally jump up a couple hundred. Usually just a single, sometimes a couple. I'm guessing it's a cluster issue and not some sort of tach signal. 

I really like the wheels I put on it, but the bend in one is killing me as it acts up between 30-40 mph. Granted that's a boring speed range but driving to work getting stuck in slow traffic just drives me nuts. I would just buy a replacement but haven't been able to find one yet. 

Going to find some somewhat matching Silver paint and at least make the front genders blend in a little more with the rest of the car. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/8/21 7:11 p.m.

Wow! I had thought I did a little bit more in this thread. Let's see what have I done. Well I was riding dirty for a little bit with old plates on it but recently went legit. 

I poorly painted the black fenders silver (rattle can). Fixed a coolant leak, the dreaded plug at the back of the head. Welded cracked exhaust. Disconnected the airbag module, because it would chime every 30 minutes or so because the drivers airbag is removed. Dented the drivers fender trying to pull it out of its winter hibernation. No tow hooks. Bought a set of tow hooks. Bought a new ball mount so my trailer will sit level behind it. Put more stickers on the roll bar. Bought snow tires for it but never mounted them. 

What's next? Tires, re-weld or replace exhaust, fix fender, fix passenger window. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XgxEE0O3xsULkrSR6bHY1Vy87tx4fHzh1iMjqF4TWfi5dxTi8d3ysCBPPZU76DrL